Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Split Times in Cars

I did a quick search on the forum and couldn't seem to find a definitive answer to the question, "why do they provide split times to the cars?". As many have stated, it seems fairly obvious that removing split times from the cars would really enhance the racing so why has that not been done?

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    then their team will show how much to slowdown on the stage, one guy goes on stage with numberboard.

Like here: Gronholm gets angry - New Zealand 2001 - YouTube

i think last 20k have to split free in the end of the 1leg and 2leg.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    With all of the in-car cameras, it seems like it would be pretty easy to police cheating on the stage. That along with strict enforcement of penalties for those caught cheating would seem to be enough to discourage title contenders from taking a chance. When were splits first fed to the cars and what was the rationale for doing so? Surely it was anticipated that having splits in the cars would lead to tactics.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    How would they punish the drivers that use tactics? If they get a time penalty, it could almost act as an advantage for the drivers, like Loeb in argentina.
    It is a problem that needs some thought though!
    Ha'wey Hamilton, bring the WDC crown home and the beers are on me :up:

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Tactics shouldn't be eliminated from this sport. They are part of rallying. But it's obvious that the current start position rule is not working well. It will change next year.

I don't see problem with splits in the car. It's funny because everybody is always talking about how splits are used to play tactics. Actually split times have never been used in tactics... Only the complete stage times - which are from timekeeping. If text-format radio messages would be banned, the teams would radio the same data (=target time) in verbal form to the crew over radio. Not to forget that banning the splits would make WRC's investments in split technology totally useless and make following of the rally very difficult.
    Satakymppi, oikee yks

Liked 2,842 Times in 1,615 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Juha_Koo
    Tactics shouldn't be eliminated from this sport. They are part of rallying. But it's obvious that the current start position rule is not working well. It will change next year.

I don't see problem with splits in the car. It's funny because everybody is always talking about how splits are used to play tactics. Actually split times have never been used in tactics... Only the complete stage times - which are from timekeeping. If text-format radio messages would be banned, the teams would radio the same data (=target time) in verbal form to the crew over radio. Not to forget that banning the splits would make WRC's investments in split technology totally useless and make following of the rally very difficult.
    +1 You made a thoughtable reply there.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Manager
    Liked 73 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by olschl
    With all of the in-car cameras, it seems like it would be pretty easy to police cheating on the stage.
    Who has time to check in-car footage from all cars on all stages? In Finland they had what 120+ cars on entrylist and 22 stages that is 2240 footage to check or as driving time for winner was 2:40 so it would mean there is over 360 hours of footage to go through during the weekend...
    There are two rules for success
    1. Never tell everything you know.

Liked 11,171 Times in 4,437 Posts
    I agree with You guys. Banning splits seems to be nice idea but it's too difficult for meaningful realization. Teams will always find a way to get them to the crew.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 78 Times in 27 Posts
    Even in days of old, split times were shown by team members on road side boards that were radioed through from other people on the stage with stop watches. So even a complete in-car communication and split times telemetry ban would not be effective as there is always another way to 'skin the cat'. Rules are have always be made and changed over the years and teams have always maximised the ways they could bend, stretch or create an advantage from them. Tactics have always been involved in the sport, just that the nature of those tactics have evolved as the rules and regulations have changed. No matter what the governing body does, the competitor will seek out what ever chance they have to win.
    Happiness is using the side windows more than the windscreen

In reply to being asked what 240Kph on Watagans Road was like:-
    \"Wait till I check my pants, I didn\'t know whether to sh#t myself or orgasm!!!\"

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Ideally, splits would be banned to cars, and teams would make a gentlemen's agreement not to indicate splits to their drivers on the stages.

Splits allow the top drivers, when they're not first on the road, to control the pace of the rally too well. This discourages them from pushing and is boring because instead of setting up final-day fights (unless you're Loeb and in Finland), it benefits the driver in front and allows them to use their running position to maintain a lead over the rest of the field.