Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tottenham Riots

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Tottenham Riots

BBC News - Was Tottenham's riot a cry of rage?

What do people think of this? Personally I feel this is just a case of people taking advantage of a protest to cause a bit of destruction and do a bit of looting. I really don't buy the whole social aspect of it.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    So, some dickhead shoots at the police, gets himself (rightly) shot dead in the process, and loads of people feel that there's some injustice here?!

Then even more strangely, the express their lament at the perceived lack of justice they go and riot, burn down buildings and loot others. What the hell is wrong with people?

The above is quote of my friends facebook status. I would side with agreeing with this, but I don't think this is that simplistic.

I really hope those involved in the riots are brought to justice, but I do feel the Metropolitan Police aren't innocent themselves.

From what I heard this was a protest outside a police station that turned nasty when the police used overly agressive force on a 16 year old girl who was throwing stuff at the police station, then it all kicked off.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown, Jon Brow
    So, some dickhead shoots at the police, gets himself (rightly) shot dead in the process, and loads of people feel that there's some injustice here?!

Then even more strangely, the express their lament at the perceived lack of justice they go and riot, burn down buildings and loot others. What the hell is wrong with people?

The above is quote of my friends facebook status. I would side with agreeing with this, but I don't think this is that simplistic.

I really hope those involved in the riots are brought to justice, but I do feel the Metropolitan Police aren't innocent themselves.

From what I heard this was a protest outside a police station that turned nasty when the police used overly agressive force on a 16 year old girl who was throwing stuff at the police station, then it all kicked off.
    Tbh I think if you throw something at the Police or a member of the public or a Tesco, then I don't think you deserve to be treated with any respect.

People these days know exactly what they can get away with and push the limits and sometimes you wonder if we need to go a little back the other way where people are **** scared to loot, or riot (note I said riot, not protest) and damage property. I think the media are trying to merely place a legitimate (ish) excuse over all of this when really it's simply not acceptable at all.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown, Jon Brow

The police fired two shots at the guy who was killed, he didn't fire at all. Whether he'd drawn a gun isn't clear.

The police, especially the riot police are getting themselves a bit of a reputation in London.

Previously in order to get into trouble with the police it helped if you were poor and not white. Recently with a wider segment of the population going on demonstrations and finding out the hard way what the riot police can be like, there is increasing dislike of the police. These guys are often as desperate for a fight as elements of the crowd they are trying to control. Its a shame because in my view some parts of the police have changed their approach over the past couple of decades to work with the community and not against it.

There are wider issues at stake here, Tottenham and Edmonton are poor areas surrounded by increasingly affluent areas. Unemployment went up with the crash and has stayed up, kids graduating from school are unable to find jobs and lack the education to have good prospects. There is definitely a social element to this riot.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malbec
    The police fired two shots at the guy who was killed, he didn't fire at all. Whether he'd drawn a gun isn't clear.

The police, especially the riot police are getting themselves a bit of a reputation in London.

Previously in order to get into trouble with the police it helped if you were poor and not white. Recently with a wider segment of the population going on demonstrations and finding out the hard way what the riot police can be like, there is increasing dislike of the police. These guys are often as desperate for a fight as elements of the crowd they are trying to control. Its a shame because in my view some parts of the police have changed their approach over the past couple of decades to work with the community and not against it.

There are wider issues at stake here, Tottenham and Edmonton are poor areas surrounded by increasingly affluent areas. Unemployment went up with the crash and has stayed up, kids graduating from school are unable to find jobs and lack the education to have good prospects. There is definitely a social element to this riot.
    How did the Policeman get shot then?

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Fair play then. Still no excuse for what happened afterwards.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think we all know the Met tend to be a bit blunt and although we don't know the full facts yet, it does appear this could have been dealt with quite differently.

Saying that, there are a lot of Social problems in that area. Most are generated within the community though and I am not excusing this thuggish behaviour one bit. What we saw after the rather simplistic and course treatment by the Met was disgraceful criminal rioting. It was rent a mob at it's best and nothing to do with the shooting.

Shot themselves in the foot rather with attacking Aldi. The closest one is now 5 miles away and it'll take ages to get JJB reopened. No food, no clothing. It's terrible!!!

Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
    Looking at what successively happens in France, Greece, the UK etc. from a problematic East European country I tend to think that riots are a sort of leisure activities or even sport for young people. When they get bored with entertainment, substances, sex etc. and need that shot of adrenaline they amuse themselves by provoking police, torching cars, looting stores and getting away with it. Am I wrong?
    Llibertat

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Formula 1
    I think we all know the Met tend to be a bit blunt and although we don't know the full facts yet, it does appear this could have been dealt with quite differently.

Saying that, there are a lot of Social problems in that area. Most are generated within the community though and I am not excusing this thuggish behaviour one bit. What we saw after the rather simplistic and course treatment by the Met was disgraceful criminal rioting. It was rent a mob at it's best and nothing to do with the shooting.
    I agree with all of that. Such behaviour by the rioters does little to further the cause of those with all sorts of legitimate grievances against the Met, of which they are many at present.