It’s summer, the schedule should be released in two to three months so let the speculation begin. I’ve heard from someone on a team that they have been told to prepare a budget for 18 races next year, and there will be at least two new dates. One date will replace Motegi and the other new date. Everything points to Houston being the new addition, but supposedly Porto Allegro is all but done, also and they’re in talks with both California and Chicago to replace Motegi.

Projected 2012 Izod Indy Car Schedule

March 25 Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg
April 8 Honda Grand Prix of Alabama
April 15 Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach
April 29 Sao Palo Indy 300
May 27 Indianapolis 500
June 3 The Milwaukee Mile
June 9 Firestone Twin 275s
June 25 Iowa Corn Indy 250
July 8 Streets of Toronto
July 22 Streets of Edmonton
Aug 5 Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course
Aug 12 New Hampshire Motorspeedway
Aug 26 Infineon Raceway
Sept. 2 Streets of Baltimore
Sept. 16 California Motor Speedway
Sept. 30 Kentucky Speedway
Oct. 7 Streets of Houston, Reliant Stadium
Oct. 14 Las Vegas Motor Speedway

Tracks in Bold have a contract signed for 2012, although other than Indy and Long Beach the dates are not confirmed.

There shouldn’t be a lot of changes to the schedule, organizers know that consistency is the key to building events. I think The Milwaukee Mile will get its traditional date on the schedule back, but that’s just my opinion at the moment.

A number of the event titles should change. I’ve heard that both Lotus and Chevy are going to title sponsor at least one race each. I think Honda is going to give up one of the Canadian rounds to a Canadian sponsor and from what I’ve heard it’s almost a lock that one of GM’s brands will be the name sponsor of the Baltimore race next year.

In related news Octane, the promoters of Edmonton and the F-1 race at Montreal are sniffing around the Toronto Grand Prix. Also look out for the pre-season testing schedule, the 2012 off season is going to be far more extensive than the previous two. Look for two to three official tests with both ovals and roads. Seabring, Barber, Vegas, and Phoenix are the obvious choices but we'll probably see a track that's not on the schedule as a test track in 2012. If you see Road Atlanta, Arizona Motorsport Park or the Austin track on the schedule its most likely a tryout.