View Poll Results: Should F1 run coupes?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 11.43%
  • No

31 88.57%
Page 12 of 74 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    Yes, and there are also black box recorders in the event of something going awry so that investigators can learn from the incidents and improve them.
    The story of the de Havilland Comet is interesting in this respect. When those started falling out of the sky, the designers didn't simply glibly sit by and say "flying is dangerous, it's too bad" did they?
    Point is though that the accident has to happen before the cause of said accident can be investigated. If you don't have said accident, it does not get investigated.

Just because there are no driver deaths in F1 since 1994, does not stop the pursuit of safety.

Mind you, they still allowed the comet to fly despite planes still dropping out of it.
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    Wilko, you're missing the point. Rollo's point is that it will take a huge accident to bring the point home of how dangerous interlocking wheels is.

[youtube]OF-i0nrpUyE[/youtube]

[youtube]gnslpiaEAVA[/youtube]

Needless to say, Dario and a couple of huge flips and still racing in Indycar.

The biggest danger in bike racing is being flung off the bike so does that mean bike racing, IOM TT, etc; should be banned?
    There was me thinking that everytime an open wheeled car hits another and flies that someone dies.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    You're picking out facts which have little to do with the argument. The point is that if those two accidents had happened with F1 cars then the sum total of injuries wouldn't have been a cut arm, some bruises and a photographer with a broken lens.
    Are you stating fact or opinion in respect of what might happen if the McNish accident was in an F1 car.

What did Rubens suffer in an (arguably) worse accident in Imola '94? (and of course, safety has moved on since then quite a bit).

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    There was me thinking that everytime an open wheeled car hits another and flies that someone dies.
    Isn't that why you want the wheels and cockpits enclosed, because F1 is currently so dangerous?

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko
    Isn't that why you want the wheels and cockpits enclosed, because F1 is currently so dangerous?
    So basically because a few people have accidents and survive, we need not improve F1 safety. Do I need to post youtube links to the Massa and Surtees (fatality) incidents?
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    So basically because a few people have accidents and survive, we need not improve F1 safety. Do I need to post youtube links to the Massa and Surtees (fatality) incidents?
    Massa still alive, right? What do you suppose might have saved his life in this extremely freak accident? F1 safety standing still?

Nosiree, what saved Massa's life (and sight I shouldn't think) was the constant testing of substances such as those used in race helmets.

Then there is the extracation procedure, the crash structures on the car, the barriers ya da ya da ya da.

You see, safety never stops, despite your best efforts to demonstrate that F1 is complacent in this regard.

It is open wheel racing, Get Over It.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    They were 'freak' accidents. Racing will never be 100% safe.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    They were 'freak' accidents. Racing will never be 100% safe.
    For this very reason, I believe modern day F1 tickets have a diclaimer printed on them to the effect of "Motor racing is dangerous....." You get the point.

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Its more dangerous to cross a quiet suburban road than it is to drive an F1 car at 350 km/h.
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 555-04Q2
    Its more dangerous to cross a quiet suburban road than it is to drive an F1 car at 350 km/h.
    Uh oh, shirley we need cotton wool and lots of it?