Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Debris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I also ask if the last caution was influenced by allowing drivers to have their windshields cleaned. I question if some dust in Turns 1 and 2 needed to be swept. I also wonder if some drivers called "debris" because of the notorious glare in Turn 1 as a race gets later into the day. Turn 1 is notorious for the glare in the driver's eyes at that hour, as we saw last year with the 24/26 crash in that section with the sun in the driver's eyes midway through the run to the night in last year's race.

Was there an engine failure or excessive tire chunks?
    In Christ,
    Bobby

Deuteronomy 31:6-8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I like fuel mileage finishes... with random cars running out and places changing like crazy. (Although I'm not neccesarily happy with the finishing order.)

That last caution with 12 to go was BOGUS. If they can't show the chunk of car or brocken track on TV, and record what it was in the race lap-by-lap, then there shouldn't be a caution. NASCAR just felt like it was a good time to bunch the feild and make sure everybody had enough gas to finish, especially a few favored ones.

I was just suprised they didn't run the caution 2 laps longer so that they could start single file with 10 to go, so they didn't have to have Robby Gordon hanging around next to the leaders 1 lap down, rather then in back where he belongs.
    N.Hayden L.Hamilton D.Earnhardt R.Gordon S.Speed T.Stewart J.P.Montoya G.Rahal Ferrari Lotus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hey, we all know that the drivers petition their asses off about debris to NASCAR when they know that they need to pit and would rather do it under the caution.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I always wonder about "debris" cautions...but the problem is these cars are running at 180mph round that track and if they left it and ripped open a tyre and a driver was seriously hurt then well imagine the repercussions.

but yes sometimes they are convinient- same has happened in IRL, CCWS and even the BTCC when the field got too spread out- there have been a few times when I've been watching a race hoping they'll throw the caution flag just to bunch the field up again just to relieve the boredom for a while

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    the other thing about debris is that if it exists, and is hit by a car, it certainly has the potential of entering the crowd with lethal force. and if one person loses their life (or gets injured for that matter) because a debris caution is not thrown it is unacceptable
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Usually when US goes to commercial, my TV channel(Viasat Sport 3) switches to someone's(Jr's) onboard cam and there have been numerous times when a debris caution has been waved and watching from onboard cam, there's no-one picking up debris whatsoever - bogus.
    .................................................. ..................................................

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djparky
    I always wonder about "debris" cautions...but the problem is these cars are running at 180mph round that track and if they left it and ripped open a tyre and a driver was seriously hurt then well imagine the repercussions.
    I've gotten so frustrated with them, that I'm willing to sacrifice a life if it may keep the racing honest.

Quote Originally Posted by truefan72
    It completely ruined both Montoya's and Stewarts race.
    I thought it would have helped Montoya. He said he was loose, I believe the condition worsened over long runs...

Quote Originally Posted by harvick#1
    just remember Johnson's sponsor was the main sponsor for the race. They certaintly didn't want Stewart to win and have Home Depot in victory Lane
    Actually, it's not that simple. Since Atlanta is an Speedway Motorsports track, Bruton Smith is incharge of promoting the races. He's the guy that wants the Kobalt car to win, but during the race NASCAR is incharge and Bruton needs NASCAR more than NASCAR needs Bruton.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Some very good points made here. I remember years ago at the Indy 500 the winner(can't remember who)refused to drink milk at the end of the race. Indiana is a big dairy state. There was a big uproar about that. I think they were even talking about not letting that driver race at Indy again. He simply said I don't like milk.
    Bottom line is(like it or not)big money and big business gets what they want. But they try like heck not to make it obvious.
    Yes it is ruining the sport IMO.
    Don't take anything I post too seriously folks.
    I'm like a bottle of wine, I get better with age.

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Hey Mears, I'd like to know, who was that winner who didn't drink that milk?
    I wonder what would a teetotaler do if (s)he's on the podium with champagne. Or what did (s)he do because I'm sure it has happened.

About bogus cautions: I wonder how NA$CAR gets away with them when they have millions of viewers. Surely some of them would complain?
    .................................................. ..................................................

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Erki
    Hey Mears, I'd like to know, who was that winner who didn't drink that milk?
    It was Emerson Fittipaldi. It was at one of his wins at the Indy 500 and when they handed him the traditional flask of milk in victory lane, he pushed it aside and someone who he had planted there handed him a flask of orange juice and Emerson said "In Brazil, we drink orange juice" or something of that nature. Emerson owns some very large orange groves in Brazil.

It upset the Indy crowd real bad. I thought it was funny.
    DVR . . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.