Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTCC in the USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

WTCC in the USA

It looks like that the WTCC is heading for America in 2012.

http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=6030
    American track Infineon Raceway is likely to be on the 2012 FIA World Touring Car Championship calendar.
    "Bringing the championship to USA was the next item in our agenda and the last one to fulfill our aim for a really global calendar," said WTCC promotor Marcello Lotti. The WTCC organisation has for many years planned to host a race in the US, plans that so far has not materialized.

"So far we had worked to establish our European and South American events, reinforce our presence in Asia and return to Morocco. Now we feel that the time has come to expand to the US market that is a priority for our manufacturers and stakeholders. Infineon Raceway is a modern racetrack with impressive facilities, and I believe it is the ideal location to host a WTCC event. I am very satisfied of the meeting we had with Steve Page that enabled us to find an agreement for submitting to the FIA the proposal to enter the WTCC Race of US in the 2012 calendar," said Lotti.

Lotti met up with Infineon Raceway general manager Steve Page in order to set up the plans for 2012.

"The WTCC offers the kind of door-to-door hard-fought competition that American racing fans really respond to and we're very excited about the opportunity to introduce this series to the North American continent. The Infineon Raceway road course is an ideal circuit for these cars and we look forward to introducing Sonoma-style racing to a world-wide audience," said Page.
    Whats a uni?

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    This is a great idea, although my fave US track is Laguna Seca. I hope that the old Nurburgring will be added to the calendar as well. The championship my become great, after all...
    Formula 1

Liked 106 Times in 60 Posts
    Its about time too really, and it could help encourage more manufacturers like Ford to come in having a race in its home country.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allyc85
    Its about time too really, and it could help encourage more manufacturers like Ford to come in having a race in its home country.
    Be interesting to see if they have more luck than the short-lived NATC series from way back when.
    No longer active on this forum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    and it gives them a chance to show how 'global' their Focus is

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I'd love to see the Focus in WTCC, in the BTCC it's a great car.
    Formula 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I hope they use the full track. It's a real old-fashioned circuit, two legitimate passing zones, a very technical and tough climb from the first turn to Turn 2, then a plunge down before a rise up in Turns 3 and 4, swerving down again in Turn 5, plus the tricky Carousel (one of the most famous saloon-car icons was best known for a clutch pass with a lap and a half remaining to win), a straight utilising the drag strip return road heading to a passing zone in Turn 7, the fast Esses where cars will be playing tag with kerbing, then the run up Turn 10 where the cars will be at their fastest headed to that tricky Turn 11. The pit exit is on the left before you hit Turn 11, then a short straight to a left and back to start-finish.
    In Christ,
    Bobby

Deuteronomy 31:6-8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Be interesting to see how the times compare to the stock car boys.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared East
    Be interesting to see how the times compare to the stock car boys.
    Yes! This will be interesting!
    Formula 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well if they can get rallycross to work over in the US then Touring cars will be big. I hope it works and I can watch it on ESPN