Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rossi is not the lovable jokester that his public persona would suggest - many of his rivals have alluded to him being a bit of a ******* on and off the track, and if you take the rose-tinted spectacles off and have a good look at some of the things he has done over the years it is hard to disagree. Unless you are absolutely parochial about him, of course, and wish you were Uccio helping him out of his leathers after each race

(and no that's not aimed at you Seb! )

He is also prone to making at least one or two absolutely stupid moves per season, but usually the only person he affects is himself. In this case the crash is far more serious than the one affecting Marc Marquez, as Stoner is arguably the prime title contendor.

Let's say Kenny Roberts had smacked Barry Sheen off his bike in the same circumstances - what do you reckon Sheen would have said to Roberts? I don't blame Stoner one little bit for shoving Rossi's pathetic apology back in his face, and speaking of answering on the track, Stoner will do just that. And Rossi knows it which is why he did what he did at Laguna. It's easy to race dirty against a rider who races as cleanly as Stoner.

Thanks for the links Pat, Kallio really did well to save that - didn't even lose a place!
    Phantom... Bike Who Parks

"It's a tour, not a race... but don't get in my way while I'm touring!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Competition will always involve tensions unavoidably, on and off the track, because everyone needs to win. Everyone just needs to manage and keep the tensions clean, and make sure that the race is ruled fair and square. There should be any further investigation following to every incident and those who are to blame as a result of such investigation deserve sanctions, like penalty or whatever. No way riders want incidents to happen, but if they have style and make some moving that put others on risk, still needs sanction.

Rossi might think that he was close enough and possible and hence was free to overtake Stoner. Although in that incident Stroner was the one who was disadvantaged by his move. We might understand it better if they were already in the battle four couple corners before the incident. Marshals should have helped both of them, not doing something in favor of one of them. The most important thing, how to prevent this things happen again. But note down, too much rules and easily imposing penalty to riders may cause riders ride overly careful and the race is not attractive. Just opinions.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by larantuka
    But note down, too much rules and easily imposing penalty to riders may cause riders ride overly careful and the race is not attractive. Just opinions.
    Very good point. Over-regulation could stifle the riders wishes to be able to race as hard as they want/need to.
    Phantom... Bike Who Parks

"It's a tour, not a race... but don't get in my way while I'm touring!"

Wow this race is going to be very exciting. I m thrilled

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patnicholls
    Mika Kallio's save is here (it was Yonny Hernandez behind):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b__yZ7-zYoI

Not as good as this one from 2009 though from Raffaele de Rosa (any excuse!):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz16KvYYQw4
    I've always liked this one (best clip I could find). IIRC Nicky did something similar over the weekend.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A1qvHihJ40
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phantom
    Rossi is not the lovable jokester that his public persona would suggest - many of his rivals have alluded to him being a bit of a ******* on and off the track, and if you take the rose-tinted spectacles off and have a good look at some of the things he has done over the years it is hard to disagree. Unless you are absolutely parochial about him, of course, and wish you were Uccio helping him out of his leathers after each race

(and no that's not aimed at you Seb! )

He is also prone to making at least one or two absolutely stupid moves per season, but usually the only person he affects is himself. In this case the crash is far more serious than the one affecting Marc Marquez, as Stoner is arguably the prime title contendor.

Let's say Kenny Roberts had smacked Barry Sheen off his bike in the same circumstances - what do you reckon Sheen would have said to Roberts? I don't blame Stoner one little bit for shoving Rossi's pathetic apology back in his face, and speaking of answering on the track, Stoner will do just that. And Rossi knows it which is why he did what he did at Laguna. It's easy to race dirty against a rider who races as cleanly as Stoner.

Thanks for the links Pat, Kallio really did well to save that - didn't even lose a place!
    On the money!

Also, whilst not a GP rider, this was a mighty fine save:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkYKF...1&feature=fvwp

De Rosa is the winner though.
    Get off my lawn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Not yet he's not. It's only the second race of the season. You can't predict what will happen over the course of the season. Same way you can't predict if Marquez will come back stronger later in the year and lose the championship by a couple of points. So yeah, both crashes were stupid, and at this point have equal importance. The only difference is one guy was magnanimous about it, and other was a little princess.

I don't blame Stoner one little bit for shoving Rossi's pathetic apology back in his face.
    So, if someone comes to apologize to you for an honest mistake, you would mock them...

and speaking of answering on the track, Stoner will do just that.
    Sure he would with the best bike on the grid.

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Let's say Kenny Roberts had smacked Barry Sheen off his bike in the same circumstances - what do you reckon Sheen would have said to Roberts? place!
    or Sheen smacked Roberts.....My guess is that nothing would have been said in public by either of them, but if anything were exchanged, most likey it would have been privately and it probably would have been blows rather than words

I think Rossi was doing a grandstand for benefit of himself in the eye of the public, and not because of anything else.

I think Stoner saw through it, but failed to respond in a manner that might have made Stoner look better.
    Only the dead know the end of war. Plato:beer:

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by markabilly
    or Sheen smacked Roberts.....My guess is that nothing would have been said in public by either of them, but if anything were exchanged, most likey it would have been privately and it probably would have been blows rather than words

I think Rossi was doing a grandstand for benefit of himself in the eye of the public, and not because of anything else.

I think Stoner saw through it, but failed to respond in a manner that might have made Stoner look better.
    That I agree with.

A genuine apology is not intentionally in front of a tv audience of millions.

Rossi, much like Graham Hill is credited to be, is a master of the media.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaMaster
    Also, about the 'apology', how serious was Casey supposed to take it when Valentino didn't even have the courtesy to take his helmet off and speak to him face-to-face?
    Quote Originally Posted by Malllen
    A genuine apology is not intentionally in front of a tv audience of millions.
    Casey Stoner: ”For sure, I would prefer if Valentino did it away from the cameras and would say something to me quietly without always having to have proof,”
    Erm, am I missing something or is it some Australian thing? Valentino did apologize, right? So now, he shouldn't have apologized as soon as he got off the bike, but waited for all the media to go and say sorry to Stoner in "private". So, saying sorry in front of the cameras is not as "effective" as in private?

Besides, I don't think Rossi was even aware a camera was following him. He just got off his bike, with his helmet and leathers on, and went straight off to the HRC garage. What else was he supposed to do? Wait until Stoner caught the next flight out of Spain or apologize to him in Portugal, in private?

All this is quite hilarious. So, he should apologize, BUT he should do so on Stoner's terms, taken his helmet off, VERY important, because any other way can be interpreted as being not "genuine" or "heartfelt" or "truthful" and simply playing it to the camera. So, Vale is in deep mud if he apologizes ASAP or waits for the next race, where Princess Stoner would have accused him of not apologizing at all.