Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Polish take on assault weapons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    SKS has been referred to as a poor man's assault rifle, but I'd take one any day. I tried digging them up around here, but they're hard to find. Not to mention that owning this type of weapon would land me in jail since California gun-control laws are so strict. Solution? Move to Austin, Texas! I doubt that will happen because as much as I love my weapons, it's not worth giving up living so close to the beach.
    Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ok, I give up, where was the assault weapon? An assault rifle is one that fires an intermediate power range cartridge from a high capacity magazine in semiautomatic, fully automatic, or burst mode as selected by the user. The theory being that you take a whole bunch of less than well trained people, arm them with weapons that can sort of be controlled in full automatic fire and send them off in the direction of the enemy, whooping and hollering and sending bullets flying everywhere until you overwhelm the enemy with sheer numbers. It worked for the Russians in WW II and it worked for the Chinese in Korea, for awhile. Depending on the equipment and numbers each side has, it generally doesn't work so well nowadays except for small unit actions.

The SKS carbine pictured, while firing an intermediate cartridge, does so from a fixed 10 round magazine in semiautomatic only and the SW is a semiautomatic battle rifle that fires a full power rifle cartridge and is a left over from WW II. SKSs are plentiful and cheap in the US with a large aftermarket of parts and accessories available so you can "dress up" your carbine to look like something it isn't and won't be.
    If legislation makes you equal, you aren't.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondo
    Ok, I give up, where was the assault weapon? An assault rifle is one that fires an intermediate power range cartridge from a high capacity magazine in semiautomatic, fully automatic, or burst mode as selected by the user. The theory being that you take a whole bunch of less than well trained people, arm them with weapons that can sort of be controlled in full automatic fire and send them off in the direction of the enemy, whooping and hollering and sending bullets flying everywhere until you overwhelm the enemy with sheer numbers. It worked for the Russians in WW II and it worked for the Chinese in Korea, for awhile. Depending on the equipment and numbers each side has, it generally doesn't work so well nowadays except for small unit actions.

The SKS carbine pictured, while firing an intermediate cartridge, does so from a fixed 10 round magazine in semiautomatic only and the SW is a semiautomatic battle rifle that fires a full power rifle cartridge and is a left over from WW II. SKSs are plentiful and cheap in the US with a large aftermarket of parts and accessories available so you can "dress up" your carbine to look like something it isn't and won't be.
    Tell that to a liberal.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I've nothing against guns as such tbh and I'm not one of these people who thinks no one should own a gun.

I simply don't see a reason for someone to own a weapon that's capable of sending a large amount of extremely powerful rounds out in a short amount of time. I see no problem with people owning powerful bolt action rifles because that's all a hunter needs, anyone who needs to shoot more than once at a deer or whatever isn't a good hunter IMHO.

Put assault rifles in the hands of soldiers, not people who may one day turn them on their fellow people. That said I'd love to try something like an M4A1 Carbine on a shooting range, just for ****s and giggles
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sometimes, even bolt action on a hunting rifle isn't fast enough, which is why double rifles in huge calibers are still popular in Africa. Stop by the house on your way home and you can go out back and try my AUG. It may look funny, but it's very short, light, and comfortable. And semiautomatic.

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Stop by the house on your way home and you can go out back and try my AUG.
    Out of curiosity does the scope come with the rifle and is it adjustable? It looks pretty fixed on photos I've seen.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan H
    Out of curiosity does the scope come with the rifle and is it adjustable? It looks pretty fixed on photos I've seen.
    The scope is an after market scope most likely part of a package from the dealer.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan H
    The original AUGS were manufactured with a fixed power 1.5x optical scope built into the handle tube and rudimentary iron sights above the tube. They can also be easily modified to suit a left handed shooter unlike the M-16 and AK -47 family of weapons.

I'm not sure if Steyr still has the the AUG in production but a company called MSAR has started manufacturing all sorts of variations of them with numerous options.

My personal unit is an MSAR with a rail and Trijicon arrow instead of the handle with the built in scope. I had an original AUG back in the '70s and never had any problems with it or the scope. I just got tired of the super high cost of magazines for the thing and everybody wanting to try her out. The Aug was a pretty exotic design back in the '70s.