Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question WRC/IRC - to merge or not to merge?

There is a living discussion - off topic - in the Petter Solberg thread, so I try to redirect it here.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lightbulb To merge IRC with ERC

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    Going back off topic, I'm not sure that Rallying can really properly support 2 'International' series, it's just not big enough.
    If the people who run the WRC had done their job, the IRC wouldn't have been needed, but as we know, they took their collective eyes off the ball. Into the breach came the IRC. What we got was different types of events, night stages, more competition - then the Monte!! And still the WRC sat back.......
    I want ONE International Rally series - with lots of Manufacturers, drivers who can win, different event formats, good media exposure, etc
    Yes, I'm living in a dream world.
    But there could be also another point of view - IRC serves as a better 2nd league, formula 2,... than the European Championship ever did... enabling drivers (and maybe also teams, manufacturers - lets follow Skoda for example...) to "qualify" for the World Championship... so why not better "merge" IRC with ERC, as IRC anyway repeatedly fails in making IRC "intercontinental"...???

Liked 78 Times in 27 Posts
    It is like arguing if World Superbike Championship should merge with MotoGP.

There are simply too many countries that want a WRC round and not enough seats in top class WRC teams. The IRC provides a great chance for various events to host an international event with top class drivers in good cars at the next rung down from the WRC. Effectively both have their place.
    Happiness is using the side windows more than the windscreen

In reply to being asked what 240Kph on Watagans Road was like:-
    \"Wait till I check my pants, I didn\'t know whether to sh#t myself or orgasm!!!\"

Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FabiaFan
    so why not better "merge" IRC with ERC, as IRC anyway repeatedly fails in making IRC "intercontinental"...???
    I had a similar opinion. The FIA could sell or give the rights for ERC to Eurosport Events and then the IRC would have proper FIA billing and ERC would/could gain decent TV and entries. ERC as it stands is pretty useless and most of the good IRC events are in Europe anyway. I would also cut the IRC calendar to around 8 events to get a more consistent entry and to prevent the end of season events becoming "dead rubber"

IRC 2011 looks like it should be once again very competitive but I have my doubts that will continue when they take on the more expensive SP cars and when more manufacturer teams provide a marketplace for good drivers in the World Championship.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Future of two series largely depends on how manufacturers will pursue their interest in rallying. If Peugeot shifts more resources to Le Mans and if Skoda/VW decides to join WRC, I think it will be difficult for IRC to survive. On the other hand, if manufacturers prefer to stay in IRC, IRC will be there for a good period of time and not as a second league to WRC.
    Waiting for Subaru to come back to be :champion:

Liked 340 Times in 171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FabiaFan
    But there could be also another point of view - IRC serves as a better 2nd league, formula 2,... than the European Championship ever did... enabling drivers (and maybe also teams, manufacturers - lets follow Skoda for example...) to "qualify" for the World Championship... so why not better "merge" IRC with ERC, as IRC anyway repeatedly fails in making IRC "intercontinental"...???
    I fully agree with you. Besides, I already said this here some time ago.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Why can't IRC be GP2 to WRC's F1? It's clear costs are high in WRC despite attempts to change it...but where are the next generation of drivers going to get a chance to drive similar events in decent machinery? Unless costs go down a lot the chance of satellitte team in WRC seems remote.

Group N didn't seem to work in that regard so why not have IRC acting as a feeder series, so you can still have Fabias, DS3s, Fiesta, 207 etc with less aero/power and have their more powerful cousins in IRC?

I admit that could be difficult to market but if the base car was a fixed price and it reuqired different kits to be either 'IRC' spec or 'WRC' spec it would be far better than this horrific mish-mash of rules and classes we have now.
    :champion: WRC3 championship, WRC4 championship, WRC4 PCWRC, WRC4 ERC
    Winner - TRD2 Bathurst:burnout:

Liked 11,169 Times in 4,435 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RS
    I had a similar opinion. The FIA could sell or give the rights for ERC to Eurosport Events and then the IRC would have proper FIA billing and ERC would/could gain decent TV and entries. ERC as it stands is pretty useless and most of the good IRC events are in Europe anyway. I would also cut the IRC calendar to around 8 events to get a more consistent entry and to prevent the end of season events becoming "dead rubber"

IRC 2011 looks like it should be once again very competitive but I have my doubts that will continue when they take on the more expensive SP cars and when more manufacturer teams provide a marketplace for good drivers in the World Championship.
    +1
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

MJW
    Speaking personally I look forward to Monte and Eurosport's coverage and you have to say there is a very good entry this year. After that I may look in at the tv for Ypres but my my next definite interest in IRC will be San Remo. I follow it like I follow LeMans and Tour De France cycle race. Monte and then bye bye, I always liked a proper san Remo so I look at that from a nostalgic WRC perspective.
    My guess is IRC would be a LOT weaker without Monte.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Surely the most relevant comparison is with something like A1GP. Good idea, good events, good drivers, but ultimately just not important enough to continue? Don't get me wrong — the front-running teams and drivers in the IRC are clearly of a high standard, and the championship can boast some world-class events, but this isn't enough.