Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    BTCC changed to a very attractive class with Super Touring , which provided great competition and therefore fights . This move replaces already boring cras ( exception Breen's Fiesta S2000 ) with even more dull cars on gravel ...
    Supertouring only became attractive over the years, though. I supposse it was quite a shock going from the firebreathing Turbo-Sierras to the relatively tame 2l rep-mobiles of the early ST-years. Too bad there weren't any internet forums around in the early 90s, would be interesting to read what the fans thought about that move back then.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_L
    Supertouring only became attractive over the years, though. I supposse it was quite a shock going from the firebreathing Turbo-Sierras to the relatively tame 2l rep-mobiles of the early ST-years. Too bad there weren't any internet forums around in the early 90s, would be interesting to read what the fans thought about that move back then.
    Well, Tim Harvey was quoted at the time as saying 'If you want slow, close racing, there's always the Metro Challenge', and some drivers from the Cosworth era, like Mike Newman, basically decided not to compete any more after 1990 as they didn't find the two-litre cars sufficiently interesting. However, I think the two-litre class' racing in 1990, when it ran as the only other class apart from the Sierras, was suitably outstanding to convince the true enthusiast. I was watching some 1990 BTCC races on YouTube today, and was struck again by (a) how little action there was between the Cosworths compared with the M3s and Cavaliers, and (b) how the M3s and Cavaliers were able to mix it with the slower Sierras.

But we digress. I think your comparison is an interesting one, but there is a wider problem for the BRC. It has no public profile beyond the hard-core enthusiast. I probably couldn't name any current BRC driver, because I stopped following the series after the end of the Formula 2 era. The BTCC had excellent coverage when it made the switch and retained plenty of well-known drivers.

Liked 11,170 Times in 4,436 Posts
    Yes, I simply can't believe BRC can get public attention again with only 2WD cars with no traction. F2 Kit Cars were something special in it's time, even though they were 2WD, they still were expensive hi-tech and very loud beasts.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Quote Originally Posted by Mirek
    Yes, I simply can't believe BRC can get public attention again with only 2WD cars with no traction. F2 Kit Cars were something special in it's time, even though they were 2WD, they still were expensive hi-tech and very loud beasts.
    That wasn't really what I meant, at least. It might have a chance with works cars and decent drivers; otherwise, no.

Liked 1,252 Times in 681 Posts
    It doesn't have a public profile!! And when even Rally fans can't work up much enthusiasm for it - you know it's in trouble!! I'd like to know what the Promoters are actually doing to promote the series - or maybe they've written it off as a 'bad job'.
    It's sad the way it's gone - the F2 era was awesome, great looking, great sounding and really hard driven cars - doing proper events over at least 2 days. The SEAT Jim Clark Rally took over the whole of the town of Duns. A fantastic event!!
    Now, quite a few are done in one day - that's not an International!!

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    It doesn't have a public profile!! And when even Rally fans can't work up much enthusiasm for it - you know it's in trouble!! I'd like to know what the Promoters are actually doing to promote the series - or maybe they've written it off as a 'bad job'.
    It's sad the way it's gone - the F2 era was awesome, great looking, great sounding and really hard driven cars - doing proper events over at least 2 days. The SEAT Jim Clark Rally took over the whole of the town of Duns. A fantastic event!!
    Now, quite a few are done in one day - that's not an International!!
    You have to wonder if the BRC at least needs a healthy WRC.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    And there we come back to some of my points earlier in this thread.

Liked 314 Times in 170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    The BRC was at its most healthy before the WRC became popular - maybe the BRC needs the WRC to be cancelled!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Boyd
    The BRC was at its most healthy before the WRC became popular - maybe the BRC needs the WRC to be cancelled!
    I'm not sure the World Championship was any more 'popular' in, say, 2002, when the British series was certainly not healthy, than it was in 1983 when the British championship definitely was.

Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
    Looking at the entry list for the Trackrod Rally Yorkshire, there are only 4 drivers in the internationol rally with 4wd cars, there are more 4wd (and even WRC cars), in the Clubman event, so the 'village event' is probably better than the internatinol rally now.