Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sadly I think the lack of responses to the previous post illustrate the general lack of interest in our "premier" series.

I think at best we can safely reply "other" to your questions...

IMO the fact that the BRC is run as standalone business with salaries of the BRC team etc being taken out of the entrants fees before even a wheel is turned in anger means that the motives for taking the series down this route have to be questioned. I dont think anyone in UK rallying truly believes in a "ladder of opportunity", at best the one we have now has no rungs. Works drives are hardly growing on trees at the moment and the most recent winners of the BRC have driven down career cul de sacs in their pursuit of the title.

The RACMSA has stopped well short of backing young drivers with hard cash like the FFSA etc and I know a lot of other competitors in the UK have expressed publicly that they dont see why their licence fee money should go to fund someonelses rallying. Therefore I'm not sure what someone who is looking to the BRC is hoping to achieve if they are from the UK. From overseas then perhaps its a different story...

Liked 314 Times in 170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    I think it could be quite good news if the tech rules are the same as those in the IRC. Then, at least, the top-line cars in the British series will be the same as those run at the front in a major international series. I think this is always of major benefit to a national championship.
    BRC rules have been the same as IRC for the last few years. In 2010 there was only one S2000 car (Breen/Fiesta). It started 5 out of 6 events. In 2011 there were three S2000 cars, Greer/Fabia (6 starts out of 6 events), Barrable/Fabia (3 starts out of 6 events) & Jones/MG (1 start out of 6 events). All the other 4WD cars have been N4, and there haven't been many of them. The opportunities have been there but there haven't been enough takers. Something needed to change to spice things up, maybe FWD will do it, after all there are those who look back on the BRC F2 era as being golden although I don't think that came close to the Gp4 days of the British Open Championship.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Boyd
    BRC rules have been the same as IRC for the last few years.
    Sorry, I wasn't clear enough, I think — I used 'are' in the sense of 'if they continue to be the same'. My apologies.

Something needed to change to spice things up, maybe FWD will do it, after all there are those who look back on the BRC F2 era as being golden although I don't think that came close to the Gp4 days of the British Open Championship.
    Well, it was an outstanding period in comparison with what has followed, and in terms of strong manufacturer-backed entries. However, I agree with you. The like of those British Open series days we will surely never see again, for a great deal of the magic was provided by the chance to see leading overseas drivers competing against the top Brits. That's not about to be repeated.

Liked 34 Times in 21 Posts
    I think it's very brave of BRC and try something new, when the sport obviously need a vitamin-injection.
    Moreover, many people have mentioned that the most important thing you need to succeed in the rally, is money, not talent.
    A championship in 2wd will not be cheap, but you can not as easily buy the results at the top if one is rich and has no talent.
    The fact that the BRC choose 2wd should satisfy many who write on this forum.

Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach 2
    The fact that the BRC choose 2wd should satisfy many who write on this forum.
    Yes, but I fear that many of those would like the driving pair of wheels to be in the back!

Quote Originally Posted by Sulland
    Yes, but I fear that many of those would like the driving pair of wheels to be in the back!
    Not at all. This would clearly be impractical given the lack of RWD road cars. But I'd like to see variety — just as I'd like to see it in the WRC.

Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    Sorry, I wasn't clear enough, I think — I used 'are' in the sense of 'if they continue to be the same'. My apologies.

Well, it was an outstanding period in comparison with what has followed, and in terms of strong manufacturer-backed entries. However, I agree with you. The like of those British Open series days we will surely never see again, for a great deal of the magic was provided by the chance to see leading overseas drivers competing against the top Brits. That's not about to be repeated.
    I see what you mean now. It would have been great if there had been the entries to justify continuing with the rules as they were. If the change brings us back to anywhere near the F2 era then I think the decision will have been justified.
    I do think we need to get away from the notion that the BRC is just a stepping stone to WRC, though. A valuable training ground, yes, but if you think winning the BRC will catapult you into WRC you need to think again. If there are half a dozen seats in WRC & drivers stay there 12 years then you only need one new driver every 2 years. With UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Italy, Norway, Sweden, Finland &c all producing contenders for that 'one vacancy every couple of years' then one BRC graduate every decade is beating the average. If the BRC can become a championship that both UK and foreign entrants find attractive & competitive then the next Burns or McRae will follow - but not that often!

Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts
    Would love to see a BMW 1 series coupe with R3T engine !!!

I do think we need to get away from the notion that the BRC is just a stepping stone to WRC, though.
    I agree, but the problem is that in order for it to become anything other, it needs to again turn into a series of great importance in its own right. Time was, after all, when being British champion was an accolade in itself.

Exactly!