Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Track Limits

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Track Limits

Something the BBC raised on the post race forum was the fact that drivers are still not being punished for going off track on the outside.

At turn 4 Buemi and Vettel both went way over the lines with all four wheels while overtaking, but escaped punishment. They were probably marginally ahead anyway, but it does seem to be a bit of a blind spot for the stewards - they didn't even investigate the incidents.

They were (rightly) quick to penalise Button for cutting the corner and passing Massa, but I hope that they're going to be equally strict if drivers use too much "run off" while passing? They even clarified the rules before the start of the year to state that at least one wheel must be "on track" at all times!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by christophulus
    Something the BBC raised on the post race forum was the fact that drivers are still not being punished for going off track on the outside.

At turn 4 Buemi and Vettel both went way over the lines with all four wheels while overtaking, but escaped punishment. They were probably marginally ahead anyway, but it does seem to be a bit of a blind spot for the stewards - they didn't even investigate the incidents.

They were (rightly) quick to penalise Button for cutting the corner and passing Massa, but I hope that they're going to be equally strict if drivers use too much "run off" while passing? They even clarified the rules before the start of the year to state that at least one wheel must be "on track" at all times!
    Tsk - two more cheats for the list?
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    The way I see it is this. If you shorten the track, you get punished, no argument. But running wide and lengthening the track is its own punishment IMO. Turn 4 is a good example. Not only has the driver got a longer distance to travel, they also have a tighter angle of attack for the quick turn 5. If they manage to stick a pass whilst doing that, kudos to them.
    All other opinions are wrong....

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic
    The way I see it is this. If you shorten the track, you get punished, no argument. But running wide and lengthening the track is its own punishment IMO. Turn 4 is a good example. Not only has the driver got a longer distance to travel, they also have a tighter angle of attack for the quick turn 5. If they manage to stick a pass whilst doing that, kudos to them.
    That seems fairly sound logic to me. Hadn't actually thought about it like that, but now I have it makes a lot of sense.
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko
    That seems fairly sound logic to me. Hadn't actually thought about it like that, but now I have it makes a lot of sense.
    Except that it makes the turn more shallow and so allows for a much greater apex and exit speed, thereby giving an advantage over the car that is on track.

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by christophulus
    It's a good point. The rule seems clear and yet it was not applied in all instances on Sunday.

Neither Buemi or Vettel were forced to take the line they did, they took the option of maintaining their speed because they had the option of running wide and making a pass. Without that area of run off being available they could not have made the pass, and that area is not between the lines that designate the track according to the rule.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    I guess the area of runoff is slightly different to Button going down the escape road which was physically seperated from the track itself?
    Drivers going outside of the boundard of the track is nothing new, they used to do it as a matter of course at La Source.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    I guess the area of runoff is slightly different to Button going down the escape road which was physically seperated from the track itself?
    Drivers going outside of the boundard of the track is nothing new, they used to do it as a matter of course at La Source.
    Shirley the track limits are the track limits? I can understand that they don't want to penalise just for running wide on an overtake, but if that's the case they shouldn't create a rule that explicitly forbids it. I'm all for the type of move that Buemi pulled off, and against the one that Button tried, but they need to tighten the wording to get rid of the accusations of cheating.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    That's always the problem with having to put things down in exact rules. We pretty much agree that the Buemi move was ok but the Button move was not, but how to you write that into a regualtion?!

Again it's not a new issue, remember Senna was disqualified from a race win for cutting a chicane after a coming together with Prost. But for a long time the rule has been that you can run wide as long as you don't take an advantage from it, that could be in terms of time, or gaining or failing to lose a position.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    ...for a long time the rule has been that you can run wide as long as you don't take an advantage from it, that could be in terms of time, or gaining or failing to lose a position.
    But can't it be argued that in all three instances at the weekend an advantage was gained. In Button's case he was penalised so case closed, but both Buemi and Vettel "gained an advantage" by going off track simply because they made a pass that would not have been possible at that point on the circuit otherwise.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993