Page 199 of 260 FirstFirst ... 99149189197198199200201209249 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,990 of 2591
    Liked 341 Times in 189 Posts
    He has also apparently put his name down for the first RHD car to be delivered in May.

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Can you bend it me from a barbwire, who build those cars? Prodrive?
    Another Flying Finn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kielder
    According to Kerr's Tyres livery, it's McGarrity's.
    Okay thank you for that. I do not follow Irish Rallying so I was wondering if you could clear up a few points for me?

1. Where do guys like this get the money for a MINI WRC?

2. Do Irish rally drivers prefer Prodrive machines?

3. Will Meeke actually do Crcuit of Ireland in anything? There has been a lot of speculation that he will run in IRC class with the ST 1.6 or National class with a WRC MINI. Has there been any development on this?

Thanks a lot.

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Plan9
    Okay thank you for that. I do not follow Irish Rallying so I was wondering if you could clear up a few points for me?

1. Where do guys like this get the money for a MINI WRC?

2. Do Irish rally drivers prefer Prodrive machines?

3. Will Meeke actually do Crcuit of Ireland in anything? There has been a lot of speculation that he will run in IRC class with the ST 1.6 or National class with a WRC MINI. Has there been any development on this?

Thanks a lot.
    1. Most top irish drivers are successful businessmen, with a long love for the sport and have pursued it as their hobbie from their youth until middle age. Derek mcgarrity is a sucessful helicopter and rally car trader with a long association with prodrive.

2. Prodrive have over 20 years experience of setting up cars for Irish tar since the days of the rothmans porsches, 6r4s and BMW m3s. They have perfected the art of spring and damper settings for the unique characteristics of Irish Tarmac. It also helps that they Provide a comprehensive technical support. I don't work for them by the way!!

3. This looks highly unlikely, I don't know if it will happen, but by the sounds of things, the two boys don't have the budget for it and it might conflict with their existing contract, for all that now appears to be worth.

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gravelman

2. Prodrive have over 20 years experience of setting up cars for Irish tar since the days of the rothmans porsches, 6r4s and BMW m3s. They have perfected the art of spring and damper settings for the unique characteristics of Irish Tarmac. It also helps that they Provide a comprehensive technical support. I don't work for them by the way!!
    Oi! Gravelman, I've only ever done gravel (or snow) rally and that tarmac stuff is very strange to me, all of it. Now since about before i started in '84 I read about Irish tarmac and it is always referred to as "unique".... Now it seems narrow, but I've driven narrow English 'whites" and French "D" roads (millions of kms on them)(well it seems like millions in a 404 D ), so it can't be that. It seems bumpier, and it seems to have a lot of dirt and crap on it....what is it that's different and unique?
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by janvanvurpa
    Oi! Gravelman, I've only ever done gravel (or snow) rally and that tarmac stuff is very strange to me, all of it. Now since about before i started in '84 I read about Irish tarmac and it is always referred to as "unique".... Now it seems narrow, but I've driven narrow English 'whites" and French "D" roads (millions of kms on them)(well it seems like millions in a 404 D ), so it can't be that. It seems bumpier, and it seems to have a lot of dirt and crap on it....what is it that's different and unique?
    Bit like the ******* offspring of forest and Tarmac to be honest. Very bumpy, with lots of mud and loose gravel, broken surfaces, big jumps down narrow lanes. I've heard of people using gravel dampers with tarmac springs, I stand to be corrected on that by people with more technical knowhow than a navigator!!!

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gravelman
    Bit like the ******* offspring of forest and Tarmac to be honest. Very bumpy, with lots of mud and loose gravel, broken surfaces, big jumps down narrow lanes. I've heard of people using gravel dampers with tarmac springs, I stand to be corrected on that by people with more technical knowhow than a navigator!!!
    Tanks. That was my impression, and one of the reasons I consider tarmac scarier than hell. I reckon most normal people kinda expect grip when its tarmac and are surprised when the tires let go....sometimes with exciting repair bills as a result..Gravel, if I have grip I'm happy but I'm not expecting it so no big surprise if its not there. Result: Gravel=happiness..
    And since all we have is gravel I'm a happy boy.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
    Tanks. That was my impression, and one of the reasons I consider tarmac scarier than hell. I reckon most normal people kinda expect grip when its tarmac and are surprised when the tires let go....sometimes with exciting repair bills as a result..Gravel, if I have grip I'm happy but I'm not expecting it so no big surprise if its not there. Result: Gravel=happiness..
    Cannot seem to post YouTube link (using iPad), but to give yourself the best idea of some o the conditions, look up "Bertie fisher on board Galway 1999", sm other related links will come up and that will give you an idea of the fun we have over here, assuming we don hit any walls..ahem!!

Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
    Here's a link to give you a bit of an idea what makes irish roads different Bertie Fisher-Atlantic Drive,Donegal 1999 - YouTube

Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
    I have been competing almost only on tarmac, and i find gravel scary as hell, because of the lack of grip :-) So i guess it depends on what you're used to :-)
    /peter