Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Classic cars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Talking Classic cars

Noticed a fair bit of enthusiasm for the classics in the Favourite Car thread - does anyone here own/run classics?
    My 1965 Wolseley Hornet is currently off-road undergoing a refit, but I've got some pictures of it that I'll try and post.
    Speedqueens website is offline while I rehome it, but it will be back, and much bigger than before.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LotusElise
    Noticed a fair bit of enthusiasm for the classics in the Favourite Car thread - does anyone here own/run classics?
    My 1965 Wolseley Hornet is currently off-road undergoing a refit, but I've got some pictures of it that I'll try and post.
    I used to own a 1977 Peugeot 504 and before that a 1979 Fiat 131. Hardly classics but compared to modern cars they are

I wouldn't mind owning a Peugeot 504 Coupe or an Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT. But being that they're French/Italian cars from the 60's/70's and I live near the sea and have no garage I think it's not going to happen anytime soon because I don't want to wreck a perfectly good car That and I don't have the money!

I'm also of the opinion that older cars should be cared for and still driven rather than sitting in a garage and going out a couple of times a year.

Here's a picture of my 504

Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LotusElise
    BTW.... are you the sort of person who can tell what year a car was made in by the door handles or a particular piece of trim? I'm a little like that. Pretty sad really!
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    My 1973 Datsun 240Z, of course. Although, I am in the process of modernizing it somewhat. To answer your question Daniel, on some cars, yes. Unless it's undergoing work which requires it to sit for a spell, I believe a classic car should be driven often.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grassrootsracer
    My Datsun, of course. Although, I am in the process of modernizing it somewhat.
    Noooooooooooo!

What do you mean when you say modernising though?

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    Noooooooooooo!

What do you mean when you say modernising though?
    In other words, he's pimping his ride :
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    We run a 1968 Corvette in HSR, Historic Sportscar Racing.This is "wheel to wheel"... but most guys will protect their cars...so not a lot of fender bending.

One race on th Calendar is the "Walter Mitty"... well known here in the States. It's run at my home track, Road Atlanta. They also run the Petitt Le Mans there.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Sorriieee... double post.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    In short, I'm going through and modernising/modifying almost everything. I'm leaving alone all the window glass, doors, and hatch. Exterior modifications are very subtle, as I love the original body lines. I'm dropping in an L28ET and contemplating having it built, overbored, and stroked to between 3.0 and 3.2 liters with an all new turbo system. EFI is a MegasquirtnSpark DIY system with Redline-Weber hardware. Drivetrain (transmission, driveshaft, differential, axles, wheels, and tires) will modified to cope with the expected power and torque levels, of course. Redone suspension with coilovers, urethane, tubular a-arms. Wilwood big brake kit and rears converted to discs. There is the expected rust to be dealt with (I was lucky enough to find a "Flintstones special") and a new paint job along the way (black or red). Interior will be more in line with modern styling with added safety equipment, but will in no way resemble that "boy racer" garbage. Did I mention a working A/C system? And all new wiring.

I'd like this to be a daily driver (if it is manageable), but if not will use this for autocross and track days.

I know you're only kidding, schmenke, but I am not pimping it out in any way. I care nothing for automobiles of that ilk. I understand the desire by some to leave this car in its original condition, but being a constant tinkerer and student of engineering, I've found things I would like to improve. If this were something with more historic value, I'd keep it stock.

The Walter Mitty is a great event (more than just a race by far), especially as it happens to be at my "home" track as well.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schmenke
    In other words, he's pimping his ride :
    You should see Pimp My Ride International. They pimped a Trabant and it actually looked better which I guess is not very hard!