Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts

Your fav Iphone, Android or WinMo apps?

Thought about asking this on Daniels thread but decided it might be worth a thread of its own.
    Having recently joined the Ipod touch 4g gang and seeing the incredible amount of apps available I thought I'd ask what your particular favourite apps are and whats so good about them?

Im looking for a good Star ID/guide Application and was thinking about getting Starwalk http://physics.weber.edu/schroeder/i.../StarWalk.html Anyone on here have it... any good?
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Can you get Google Sky Maps on iOs? Fantastic free app which uses the GPS, compass and accelerometer to display a map of whatever part of the sky you point your phone towards. Sadly round here we've got so much street lighting that only a handful of stars are visible, but even so it's terrific fun.

Other than that my favourites would be

myRemote: lets me control Windows Media Centre from pretty much anywhere

Amazon Kindle: scaled down version of the e-reader, with hundreds of free books and thousands of paid-for ones (so far I've only got 6 )

F1 Livestream: free F1 timing app which saves giving Bernie $20 or whatever it is for the official one.

Sky+: lets me add programmes to my PVR from anywhere.

Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Dave, I'm not sure about Sky Maps, but there is an app called GoSkyWatch. Apparently it identifies stars, planets, etc. when you point your device toward the sky. It's not free though. I'll have to do a better search for the free Google app - sounds interesting.

During the Korean GP I used the free Vodaphone McLaren app for the first time. It was decent. The Lotus Racing app is OK, but nothing special. I've heard that the Soft Pauer F1 app is killer! Steve Matchett recommended it earlier this year. Steve Jobs even said it was one of his favorite apps - I didn't even know he was into auto racing. Even if a person isn't a hardcore racing fan, it does seem really cool though. Plus with it you can replay the race on a DVR and synch the Soft Pauer app's timing, scoring, commentary and positioning to your replay... just like you're watching it live. But I got the iPod late in the season and $20 is too much to spend on an app for just a partial season.

Other than the racing and auto related apps, like Speed Channel (great app... MUCH better and faster loading than their dog slow, bloated site), my most used apps are business related: banking, brokerage, etc. What I really like is that the iOS apps tend to load pages faster and make trades and transactions faster than on my desktops or laptop. I'm not sure why, since they're all on the same WiFi network.

But I also have some "just for fun" apps too. A couple of weekends ago, I used my Dial Home Device (from the Stargate series) to step through a wormhole, where I found my gal-pal lying in bed reading. I sensed there was something odd about her, so I used my Cylon Detector on her. Confirmed! She was a Cylon!!! I suspected that she might be a Goa'uld (since her eyes began to glow red the more I messed with her) - but I can't find a Goa'uld Detector. Before she could attack me, I hit her with my Star Trek phaser (set to "stun"... if I'd set it to "kill", I'd have had a lonely weekend). It took several phaser blasts, but I finally emerged victorious! She eventually began to roll her eyes and turned on her side... and said for me to leave her alone. Cylons aren't so tough afterall!

I have an idea for a Goa'uld app that would utilize the iPod Touch's microphone. You'd speak into it and the app would convert your voice and replay your words so you'd sound like a Goa'uld. Kinda cool, yeah? But I don't know how to program or create anything like that.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Zico
    Im looking for a good Star ID/guide Application and was thinking about getting Starwalk http://physics.weber.edu/schroeder/i.../StarWalk.html Anyone on here have it... any good?
    I have Puniverse.
    You point your iPhone, iPod to any part of the sky and the stars, planets with their names and much more information will be on your screen - and it will move and change accordingly as you move your phone.

Very cool.
    mokin:
    Without sharing there can be no justice,
    Without justice there can be no peace,
    Without peace there can be no future.
    please click here once a day: http://www.thehungersite.com

Liked 578 Times in 210 Posts
    I've been using my Dell Streak for about 4 months now and got quite a few apps but forget to use half of them!!

Just tried myRemote and it works really well - good call Dave

Here are a lit of my top aps:
    BBC News
    WRC 2010 - saves using their terrible website, listen to rally radio during events
    MapDroyd - offline map program
    RAC Traffic
    Skype (finally got it working today after a while trying!)
    Battery Indicator
    DaysUntil (widget)
    Draw!
    F1 Calendar FREE
    myPlayer (Dell Streak doesn't have access to iPlayer!!)
    Multicon (widget)
    NetCounter
    RockPlayer - video player
    SayMyName - tells me who is calling/texting!
    Sundroid (sunrise/sunset times)
    Zombie, Run! (never quite got around to trying this yet)

I also have one that filters out and blocks ads and means that most ad-supported apps doesn't really affect me!

I am sure there are a huge number of very cool apps out there, the problem is finding them....
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Thanks guys, Im gonna have a lot of fun trying all these apps out. I found this really neat Irev app which when used with the Kiwi Wifi OBDII module allows you to view every engine sensor reading and log it from your cars ECU plus fault codes. It also allows datalogging G-force sensors etc etc. It will only work fully with OBDII cars ie, 96 ish onwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPho6...eature=related
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Big fan of VLC player for iphone. Saves having to convert movies. Almost as good as the pc version.

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico
    Thanks guys, Im gonna have a lot of fun trying all these apps out. I found this really neat Irev app which when used with the Kiwi Wifi OBDII module allows you to view every engine sensor reading and log it from your cars ECU plus fault codes. It also allows datalogging G-force sensors etc etc. It will only work fully with OBDII cars ie, 96 ish onwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPho6...eature=related
    bugger that looks too cool. I might have to get one for work
    United in diversity !!!

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rah
    Big fan of VLC player for iphone. Saves having to convert movies. Almost as good as the pc version.
    I forgot about that one! That's a seriously great app! Having to convert video files was one thing that bothered me. And after downloading a free conversion tool from Tucows and getting an extremely nasty malware/virus (Security Tool) in the process, I was about to buy some conversion software. Then I found a review about VLC on CNET. It's fantastic... and FREE!

Another app I forgot about is Thomson Reuters News Pro. If you're away from WiFi (on the Touch), all the news stories are still fully readable. Most of the other news sites seem to require a connection. But then again, there is also an app called Read It Later which allows you to read saved pages whenever. But with News Pro you don't have to remember to save anything.

And here's one that I have to mention because I've been using an HP12C calculator since the 1980's. It's difficult for me to use other calculators when doing more complex tasks (internal rates of return, discounted cash flows or calculating NPV's on bonds/mortgages) because the HP12C is an RPN calculator, so you enter things differently than with most others calcs. My old 12C is over 20 years old and still works like a champ. But I hate to carry it very far, just because I've had it for so long and it's kind of like my best (remaining) friend from the "old days". The Brock HP12C emulator is FANTASTIC! The Touch is about the same size as a 12C, and as far as I can tell, each and every 12C function works just as it should on the Touch. There is even a click sound that reminds one of the tactile feel of the 12C's buttons. You can also run a tape of your calculations and solutions, and mail the tape to yourself or someone else. I can't remember if this was free or if I paid .99 for it. But you essentially get what is still the best and most popular financial calculator ever made for almost nothing!
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    Cool. I wrote my first "programs" on a HP67. RPN was neat.
    2 Enter 2 +
    United in diversity !!!