Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grungex
    Bogus misquote? It's exactly what I found when I searched for "Bruce Woods XFE". If you want to share information, then do so, but don't act like a pompous jerk when you do so -- you're not gaining any friends.

Where is the link to your quote?
    The original was on CCWS http://www.champcarfan.com/boards/vi...cc1ef985fb6ff6 has a copy.

I think calling the quote on the 2010 Champ Car World Series Website bogus is pretty appropriate. Maybe imaginary, made up would have been better.

"Originally developed in no-holds-barred competition with Honda, Toyota and Mercedes-Benz, the XF was turning more than 16,000 rpm and churning out more than 900 horsepower in 2001 despite a very restrictive boost limit. The current XFE was designed for durability and is limited to 15,000 rpm and required to run 1,200 miles between rebuilds. The XFE has been a huge success but Cosworth is always looking ahead and XF design chief Bruce Wood has been overseeing plans to increase power in 2009 up to 18,000 rpm and over 950 horsepower when Cosworth builds Champ Car's new XFE-2 V8 Turbocharged engine in company with the introduction of the DP01 spec 2 Champ car."

Your breaking my heart about the friend thing.

rh
    "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This is from the AER website:

"MAZDA MZR-R (AER P70)
    The all new Mazda MZR-R engine introduced in 2010
    represents the state of the art in Turbocharged engine technology. Combining very low mass with a small physical Footprint and
    unparallel efficiency the MZR-R is the choice for modern high performance Motorsports."

So much for using any weight or internal specs from the previous incarnations of the MZR-R. The intake plenum was "all new", no telling what else is.

I was looking up the AER P32T twin turbo V8, to see just how "not so much engineering" would be required to morph it into an IndyCar V6.

Not much to see, since about the only bits you could use are maybe the connecting rods,front cover and dry sump pump. New engineering would also include direct injection and possibly changing the compression ratio to make more efficient power production on E100 and at higher boost pressures.

That's a complete clean sheet of paper design. Just like the engines nobody else is building, with the exception of Honda.

Good article from Racecar engineering about the engine, though:
    http://www.racecar-engineering.com/a...r-p32t-v8.html

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Andy, it sounds like we have discussed this to a reasonable ending. The next news will be when the lack of red flags turn into green flags. Personally I don't see it happening but I wait with much interest for further development, just like last year. Best of luck on your mission.

rh
    "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Last year when I started asking questions, criticism and indifference is all there was to be found. Times change. Thanks for the message.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would imagine a lot is new to this engine compared to prior year. What does it actually have in common with a MZR? I think that it is just the badging. Which is fine for marketing, but technical people may balk that it is an "MZR". There is a reason why it was a clean sheet design when they made the original. The Atlantics motor was based on the MZR and was built up from block and head rather than ground up. But, to make the numbers AER is reliably, there is almost no way you could use a production based MZR motor I would think. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Enjun Pullr
    This is from the AER website:

"MAZDA MZR-R (AER P70)
    The all new Mazda MZR-R engine introduced in 2010
    represents the state of the art in Turbocharged engine technology. Combining very low mass with a small physical Footprint and
    unparallel efficiency the MZR-R is the choice for modern high performance Motorsports."

So much for using any weight or internal specs from the previous incarnations of the MZR-R. The intake plenum was "all new", no telling what else is.

I was looking up the AER P32T twin turbo V8, to see just how "not so much engineering" would be required to morph it into an IndyCar V6.

Not much to see, since about the only bits you could use are maybe the connecting rods,front cover and dry sump pump. New engineering would also include direct injection and possibly changing the compression ratio to make more efficient power production on E100 and at higher boost pressures.

That's a complete clean sheet of paper design. Just like the engines nobody else is building, with the exception of Honda.

Good article from Racecar engineering about the engine, though:
    http://www.racecar-engineering.com/a...r-p32t-v8.html

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The point I was making is that we don't know. Minor changes to the bespoke MZR-R used in 2009 might have been viewed as motivation for a marketing guy to say "This is all-new".

Or AER changed quite a lot internally, so it would be an assumption that any previously published specs are still accurate. Only the cook knows the recipe.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thought you might find this R&D vid from *****, their engineers like to have fun too! Look at the size of the 3/8 drill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_79I9FwZ1c

rh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's a small world, after all ?