Thread: Medal Group

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts

Medal Group

Following from another thread:
    I wondering what the largest medal group that a single person could possibly attain as a result of their military career, barring gallantry medals.

The most I've calculated is actually technically possible is thus:
    - Italy Star
    - Africa Star
    - Air Crew Europe Star
    - 1939-45 Star
    - Pacific Star
    - Defence Medal
    - Korea Medal
    - United Nations Korea Medal
    - General Service Medal

Provided if and only if, they were with the Royal New Zealand Air Force from 1941-1966, which I figure is a reasonable sort of career albeit a bit long. Such a medal group would have seen someone in Europe during WW2 before being transferred to the Pacific, and then staying on for Korea and the Malayan conflict.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 677 Times in 473 Posts
    No offense, as I respect anyone that has honorably served their country regardless of what their country is, but "barring gallantry medals" really makes it more a situation of their length of service and the luck of the draw as to what unit they were in and when.

It's likely that there are many, many from various countries over the years that were rightfully awarded medals for valor or gallantry yet have very few campaign medals.

Just food for thought.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    Following from another thread:
    I wondering what the largest medal group that a single person could possibly attain as a result of their military career, barring gallantry medals.

The most I've calculated is actually technically possible is thus:
    - Italy Star
    - Africa Star
    - Air Crew Europe Star
    - 1939-45 Star
    - Pacific Star
    - Defence Medal
    - Korea Medal
    - United Nations Korea Medal
    - General Service Medal

Provided if and only if, they were with the Royal New Zealand Air Force from 1941-1966, which I figure is a reasonable sort of career albeit a bit long. Such a medal group would have seen someone in Europe during WW2 before being transferred to the Pacific, and then staying on for Korea and the Malayan conflict.
    Not all that long, there were pilots in Viet-Nam that fought in WWII.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Some services don't give out the service medals for every little thing as much as other's either. What nation you represent could affect things.

That said Rollo, that hypothetical NZ Air man would have seen a lot to get all those....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    Some services don't give out the service medals for every little thing as much as other's either. What nation you represent could affect things.

That said Rollo, that hypothetical NZ Air man would have seen a lot to get all those....
    That last comment is the whole point of a medal group. In order to qualify for a campaign medal of most countries, it requires service in that particular theatre of war. What nation you represent very much affects things; that's kind of why I asked the question.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!