Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

At Edmonton, was the IRL exposed and has hit rock bottom?

I ask you guys, is this the low point for this series?

Brian Barnhart's decision will cost them tickets sold next year I suspect. Not to mention elsewhere.

I think the IRL cant go any lower in many ways. I was and want to be an optimist about this series, and I like Randy Bernard, but every day he leaves Barnhart in charge of the racing, they will lose credibility..
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think this has pretty much been a perpetual question since the inception of the IRL and time and time again it has been proven that it can sink even lower... so, no this is not rock bottom...... However getting rid of BB is probably a prudent move at this point and may actually prevent a further plummet into oblivion.....

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    There's an old stock market saying used when a stock tumbles: "never try to catch a falling knife." I don't know if the IRL has bottomed out or not. But everytime that I've thought that AOWR couldn't fall any further, or that things couldn't get any worse... they manage to prove me wrong.

The only reason I tune in is because I'm in the habit of watching open wheel racing. But anymore, I'm like the guy who goes to a boring party just because all the bars have closed. I don't like stick & ball sports, so auto racing is my last refuge. I feel like I am making an effort - but because I can still remember how it used to be, it ain't easy to watch and accept how amateur hour it's all become. But I have no illusions that the people that are still players in AOWR can't screw up a lot more than they already have. They can. If there's at least one stick of furniture left, these goofs could find a way to set it on fire too. These are smart people. They COULD do better. But for some reason, they just can't seem to get it together.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    The single biggest issue I have with the IRL is that they keep on flogging a dead horse.
    Same recycled ideas. Same recycled people. Same recycled coverage.
    Since it's inception these recycled materials have led to one, consistent downward spiral.
    When they hired "Rodeo guy" I held out a glimmer of hope that he would clean house and try new ideas. Sadly, he apparently is doing what people are saying "That is the way we do it."

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    As I suggested earlier I think, if he would take the job, Scott Goodyear would be good. He is unflappable, was a good driver and understands racing and the mechanics. He prepared his own cars at one time. Yes he is a poor colour man but so what.
    I knew Scotty when he was racing in FF with little money. He was ridiculed when he took a Dale Carnegie course but he went further than any of those making fun of him partially because a very shy man learned how to present himself.
    Also IC needs to learn that a rule applied to one track may be stupid at another. They do not seem to be able to grasp that there are basic differences between an oval and a road course.
    Talk to drivers and team owners, many of whom are former drivers, before you make rule changes. Actually listen to what they say not just pay lip service to asking them. Sure you will get different opinions but most will have similar ideas.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    There's an old stock market saying used when a stock tumbles: "never try to catch a falling knife." I don't know if the IRL has bottomed out or not. But everytime that I've thought that AOWR couldn't fall any further, or that things couldn't get any worse... they manage to prove me wrong.

The only reason I tune in is because I'm in the habit of watching open wheel racing. But anymore, I'm like the guy who goes to a boring party just because all the bars have closed. I don't like stick & ball sports, so auto racing is my last refuge. I feel like I am making an effort - but because I can still remember how it used to be, it ain't easy to watch and accept how amateur hour it's all become. But I have no illusions that the people that are still players in AOWR can't screw up a lot more than they already have. They can. If there's at least one stick of furniture left, these goofs could find a way to set it on fire too. These are smart people. They COULD do better. But for some reason, they just can't seem to get it together.
    very good analysis.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    OK, who are you going to get to replace him? Look at what CART/CC went through when Wally finally retired for real. It was not pretty before Tony was given the job - and he was still no Wally D. (In all fairness, it needs to be mentioned that Wally was not brilliant his first year or two either, but very quickly grew into the job.) It's not an easy position. You need the right balance of experience, sense of fair play, perspective, a thick skin, and a clear understanding of your role and it's effect on the entire series.

Good luck finding that person. Oh, and that person needs to be willing to do the job, so there's no use in throwing out names like Mario, etc.

Still, I agree that the current incumbent has to go. His history is one of inconsistancy and downright bias. Contrary to an earlier post, I don't believe he ever had a good year.
    good point. I suggested AJ - but I doubt he would do it - perhaps someone could convince Paul Tracy in a couple of years - he might be good at it... but I have no clue who would WANT to do it.....

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris R
    good point. I suggested AJ - but I doubt he would do it - perhaps someone could convince Paul Tracy in a couple of years - he might be good at it... but I have no clue who would WANT to do it.....

Why does it have to be a former, successful race car driver? Why does it have to be a driver at all?

Major league Umpires and NFL referees are not former players but they make split-second decisions and are usually right,

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    The umpires and referees came up through the minor leagues just like the players. Many referees, played hockey at one time. Most NHL referees were linesmen before they became referees.
    I agree it doesn't have to be a former driver but they do have more insight into what things are like on track.
    They don't have to ask 'What is it like out there?'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    At Edmonton, was the IRL exposed and has hit rock bottom?

It cannot much lower can it ?
    Sparse crowd.
    Invisible TV coverage on an obscure digital cable network
    WWE-like orchestrated joke of a finish
    Milka... in an anti-American communist dictator's car... 'nuff said

HOW could it be any lower ??? --- then again, that's what I thought three years ago.