Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Let's say there was no blocking rule. And whomever was leading could just duck, dive and swerve all over the course in an attempt to prevent a pass attempt by whomever was in second. Is that what you want? Or someone runs someone down into the grass and causes a 200 crash at Texas. Is that what you guys are asking for? After all, according to you, racing is racing. Why try & curb that in any way?

Now I know that's not really what you're asking for. But the problem is, where do you draw the line? Is one block OK? Two? Is one too many at Indianapolis or Texas? Is it always OK on a street circuit? Is it OK to block with 50 laps to go but not with 5 to go? And who makes the call? Who is PERFECT enough to always get it right every time?

See what I'm saying? It's imperfect but so is life. They made the rule. The drivers knew about the rule. The rule was broken (all drivers except Helio seem to agree). The rule was inforced.

One last thing. Let's be honest. If the shoe would have been on the other foot Helio would have been the first to cry about how he was blocked.

You may now continue your regularly scheduled "We can't believe how bad the IRL is" complaining session.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by downtowndeco
    Let's say there was no blocking rule. And whomever was leading could just duck, dive and swerve all over the course in an attempt to prevent a pass attempt by whomever was in second. Is that what you want? Or someone runs someone down into the grass and causes a 200 crash at Texas. Is that what you guys are asking for? After all, according to you, racing is racing. Why try & curb that in any way?

Now I know that's not really what you're asking for. But the problem is, where do you draw the line? Is one block OK? Two? Is one too many at Indianapolis or Texas? Is it always OK on a street circuit? Is it OK to block with 50 laps to go but not with 5 to go? And who makes the call? Who is PERFECT enough to always get it right every time?

See what I'm saying? It's imperfect but so is life. They made the rule. The drivers knew about the rule. The rule was broken (all drivers except Helio seem to agree). The rule was inforced.

One last thing. Let's be honest. If the shoe would have been on the other foot Helio would have been the first to cry about how he was blocked.
    Who said anything about not having a blocking rule? What WAS said and you either didn't understand or chose to ignore, was that the actual rule requiring the driver in front to leave the inside line open is stupid. Why must the driver leave the preferred line open? That makes no sense whatsoever.

What was wrong with the old rule of pick one line and hold to it?

Yes the drivers knew the rule, yes Helio broke the rule, yes Helio got his comeuppance. None of that changes the fact that the rule is asinine.

Texas? What the hell does Texas have to do with this? This rule only applies to road and street courses, please do try to keep up.

You may now continue your regularly scheduled "We can't believe how bad the IRL is" complaining session.
    It always has to come back to that with you doesn't it? No one can ever single out a specific flaw without you turning it into it being a condemnation of the entire series. It is getting old and trite. Guess what, the war is over and most of us realized that last year.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Please post the exact rule from the book.

Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    the actual rule requiring the driver in front to leave the inside line open is stupid. Why must the driver leave the preferred line open?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Please post the exact rule from the book.

Since we both know there is no published rule book, this will have to suffice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e-J6LWropo&feature=fvsr

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_g0pGKUhrk&feature=fvsr

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have a hardcopy of a 2007 IndyCar Rule Book. You wont see the "imaginary line" rule in this book because this rule was brought over by Tony Cotman in 2008 after the merger of IndyCar & ChampCar.
    Danica Patrick- 2013 Sprint Cup Series Champion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanicaFan
    You wont see the "imaginary line" rule in this book because this rule was brought over by Tony Cotman in 2008 after the merger of IndyCar & ChampCar.

No, it was not. The rule in Champcar was in effect, pick a line and stick to it.

Gary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    OK. I have to admit. It seems like kind of a strange rule. I'd like to hear the logic behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    Since we both know there is no published rule book, this will have to suffice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e-J6LWropo&feature=fvsr

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_g0pGKUhrk&feature=fvsr

Gary

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    Actually, the rule, for a very long time, was you get one move. The second one is blocking. And that's the way it should be. A driver in front has the right to defend their position, but not to weave back and forth across the track.
    Based on that, Helio shoudn't have a penalty, and I thought that WAS the rule until I saw the video of Barnard in a driver's meeting with his "rule" that he used.

It isn't rocket science, yet the IRL tried to reinvent the wheel with this one..and there was no need for it.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    This is an example of the hidebound thinking that has become all to common in IC. It is applied even when it makes no sense. Just like USAC used to be.
    Almost everyone agrees it is a ridiculous rule especially at a track like Edmonton but it is still on the 'books'.
    The one move rule works in many forms of racing and used to be the CART/CC rule.
    Use some intelligence and revert to that.
    Prime reason Brian has to go.