Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 387 Times in 327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    I cannot believe that someone will not pay you for those bills. They are legal tender...

The US dollar still is the de facto currency in many parts of the world...
    Knowing how things work here I'm not sure that if I'll go to a bank and say that according to american laws that money are still legal they will exchage them.

I asked an exchange house if they accept dollars issued before 2000 and said they don't and adviced me to go to a bank. If they're considered not in force yet there is only a bank that will exchange them. It means I should apply for this, wait for 60 days and be charged with 8-10%. Quite annoying considering that in countris like mine where currency is weak, we use to "treasure" euros or dollars and exchange them when we're in need.

Knowing how things work here I'm not sure that if I'll go to a bank and say that according to american laws that money are still legal they will exchage them.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    I asked a girl at a gas/convenience store why she cared and she said the store gave the employees a reward for every counterfeit bill they found.
    In retail, the last time I bothered taking a counterfeit note to the bank they looked at me like I'd trodden in dog mess on the way in. After that I just paid them in with the rest of my branch's cash and nobody bothered checking.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 387 Times in 327 Posts
    I'd say that if you showed up at a bank or store with some $20's or $50's that looked brand new, but that style hadn't been printed in 5 or 10 years, you'd probably wind up having to explain yourself to some Secret Service agents if they proved not to be real. .
    I always have an amount of money in the house, you know, for emergencies. In the past when money were made from a very poor paper I tried to keep this reserve in very new notes ( to the stupid extent that I didn't accept the smallest ply on "my little treasure"). From time to time the design or the paper had to be changed and new designed notes were emitted so we were allowed to use the old ones for a very short time. And I had to pay with all those well preserved notes and I remember those peasants at the market having a laugh at me and telling that I'm an avaricious who preserve money at the mattress

I also remember that after a long trial my family managed to get a compensation from the state and as it was a lot of money the National Bank paid us in 5 milion lei banknotes. The funny thing is that these notes were hardly used on the market because salaries were too low. I decided that mine and my brother's parts should be deposed in a bank to avoid embarassing situations in spending them. But imagine the surprise on the cashier's face....

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    It was on the news this morning that there are currently so many fake £1 coins in circulation in the UK - around 1 in 36 is a fake. That unless measures to get rid of the fakes are more sucessful, then the Bank of England is considering withdrawing the current £1 coins and completely replacing them with a new coin.

No doubt that would cost billions! Easier to replace them with Euros
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums