Page 91 of 95 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293 ... LastLast
    Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinto
    what are you on! block drives for his own private team and he wasnt even doing the event,and you tone over latvala winning whats all that about
    well it's just that I read Blockie-boys "press release for Immediate release" that said his signing up for Ford was "one of the biggest events--or deals--in WRC History" and all his fans call him a "rally god" and a "Rally superstar" and since we all know that Thousand Lakes, sometimes known as Rally Finland is the greatest event in the known Galaxy, it seems to make some kind of sense that a "Factory" rally God would be in ralli paradis that is WRC Finland, and naturally fighting for the win...

the big question is why wasn't he there, it is the hardest event and he told me personally ''I'm a very competitive type of guy'' which means to me you seek out the hardest competition you can find, stand toe-to-toe with the baddest guys...
    here was the baddest guys and the best event in the whole world...and where was our favorite ''Rally God''?

Latvalpa, he's a good boy, and he drove well-- what can one say here that means anything compared to good driving he---and a few others including 51 year old, god knows how long since he drove real stages Juha K. ---did
    I think he was there to have fun and not hurt the boys who were doing more than one guest star appearance, in other words it looked like he didn't intend to embarrass the wilson child or the progress of Norrmannen Östberg, but I have a gut feeling that he could have given them 'däng' if he wanted--he hasn't forgotten. Heja Juha!
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Because it clashed with the X-Games, an event that gets more air time and publicity for his sponsors than any rally will ever do.
    :champion: WRC3 championship, WRC4 championship, WRC4 PCWRC, WRC4 ERC
    Winner - TRD2 Bathurst:burnout:

Liked 165 Times in 75 Posts
    Some crashes and close calls. KKSF video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTTpL404s3g

Liked 581 Times in 213 Posts
    I think you can say it was a "frustrating" rally for us.

First of all, the heat on Thursday was really unbearable, you kind of expect it if you go to Greece or Jordan but not Finland. It was really uncomfortable and not pleasant at all. We were very glad it got cooler over the next few days, not least because our hire car would not go up hills with the AC on (but at least it had it) Secondly, though before I thought the schedule was ok giving the chance to see quite a few stages, in reality it was nearly impossible with the traffic and having to see only the top cars before moving to another stage. I think it's much better to just sit at two stages repeated and watch all of the cars and be far more relaxed. And although there were plenty of friendly people around, there was far more unfriendly people than I remember, and marshals that even in my opinion were worse than ever. I mean, surely if a place in front of the tape is dangerous for spectators, then no marshal should be there either - seemed like they just didn't want to pay to get in to watch and wanted a better view.

Shakedown started quite well, were at a jump near the start, though I did stand on the outside for a few cars and moved myself as I thought it was a stupid place to be - but it was the only place I can remember with no marshals!! Then went to HQ and spent most of the afternoon there, before heading to Laajavuori to meet AFF and Pino, though due to the traffic we got there pretty late.
    Started off in Urria jump on Friday, then decided to move back towards the car to allow us to get away a bit faster, was at a nice flat right where most were quite sideways to flick it into the following left hander.

We then went onto Myhinpaa but even though we took the "scenic route" and avoided most of the main road to Jyvaskyla, when we arrived the stupid bus system meant that we had no chance of making the stage, so went and had a nice meal and then back to Laajavuori, luckily it was a nice corner and everyone was very fast through there.

Then we headed to the car park of SS12 and parked the car and put our tent up and had something to eat, before really spoiling everythiing by saying "isn't this just brilliant" Big mistake. A few minutes later a guy turned up in his van wanting to turn around and he obviously thought we had comitted a terrible crime by parking at the back of a turning area, and he was mad, very agressive and expecting us to understand the sign which he said we should be 10m further back. My Finnish vocabulary isn't that good to be honest but I had no chance of reading that sign, and he obviously expected us to understand it and didnt have any excuse for parking there, even the guys next to where we had poarked suddenly joined in with him which I was annoyed at as they had helped us park there in the first place. So, rather than stay and put up with all this nonsense we decided to leave and put the tent up in a car park off the main road.

The overnight rain meant it took us longer to pack the tent up the next morning so we were late for the stage and decided against going in. We then followed AFF and Pino to the next stage which was fantastic, everyone including the marshals were relaxed, plenty space to watch and a decent corner We then went to Surkee where they headed off to meet janneppi but we decided to stay at the main corner which was ok, then were planning to go to Himos but passing Leustu decided we had enough time to go in to Novikov's jump, of course there was no space but it was ok, though a Latvian guy confirmed that I am just stupid because I declined his offer of vodka and cigarettes.....

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts

34th time

My experience of this years rally is quite positive.

I had 4 swiss guys visiting with the usual gang of idiots

Shakedown in the middle just to get to the feeling.

Laajavuori 1 on top of the tarmac section. Kinda boring though the 131 Abarth saved a lot.

Friday started with Urria 1 on the big jump.
    Exellent jumps and my swiss friend got the piece from Latvala's car so his day started well. On Urria 2 the group split. Two guys stayed at the Hirvonen's jump and saw something really special and the rest of of the gang were lifting Semerad about 6 minutes on a righthander about 1 km later.

Then to Sirkkamäki 1 and 2 to see action at the end of the stage. Nothing special exept the Nikara's driving with his bonnet up.

Next Laajavuori 2 at the hairpin. Really nice spot not alot of people and what a variety of driving lines and techniques...

Saturday started with Kolonkulma at the rallycross track. Again the variety of lines taking that right hander on tarmac is huge. Kimi drove with open doors and puncture.

Then to Leustu 1 at Saakoski junction. Nothing special there exept one of the swiss guys really got the hang of rallying when a big stone almost hit him.

Last stage was Himos 2 where we were close to finish to see first some action and then the celebrations. Finest moment was when Kankkunen congratulated Latvala!!!

All in all very easy rally. Not much traffic. Of course I know when and where to go if You want to avoid traffic. We saw 9/10 stages and saw speed and jumps. My guests were very satisfied to the rally. The two day format seems to work OK.
    "San Romolo opettaa"

Liked 2,842 Times in 1,615 Posts
    What really annoying me is the marshals stopping you from walking on stage road some 60-90 minutes before first car.

That makes people angry and stop up the public. Then signs should be even in english so that the international public can be avare of what to do and not to do.

This year I also notice that marked places for tenting was very few. That is against the very heritage of Finland. You should have the possibility to put up your tent at many prepared places during the rally. And not as now right in the cut clear forest with tree branches all over, places not mentionable...

Tha rally is the best in the series but there are much more to do to make foreign visitors more comfortable with the around matters.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 581 Times in 213 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper
    What really annoying me is the marshals stopping you from walking on stage road some 60-90 minutes before first car.

That makes people angry and stop up the public. Then signs should be even in english so that the international public can be avare of what to do and not to do.

This year I also notice that marked places for tenting was very few. That is against the very heritage of Finland. You should have the possibility to put up your tent at many prepared places during the rally. And not as now right in the cut clear forest with tree branches all over, places not mentionable...

Tha rally is the best in the series but there are much more to do to make foreign visitors more comfortable with the around matters.
    Agree totally, luckily I know from forum members that these annoying people were not the usual case in Finland, but as it is I don't think my dad will ever go back, which is a shame as I wanted him to see Rally Finland as it is, maybe I was just expecting too much
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Jamie, Rallyper and all others, you should send some feedback to organisers because they are responsibles for most of those problems you´ve had. My personal opinion of this years rally is that it had nice battles and great driving but there were much more problems with marshalls and even with the organising body than previous years.

Maybe they´re really trying to get rid off all spectators, only for VIP visitors because they give more money to organisation?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper
    As far as i know so do we still have this everymans right in Finland, that means that you can put up your tent where ever you like, aslong you dont do any damage or disturb, meaning not closer than about 200m to someones house, you dont need any signs to tell.
    Aja kovaa Pena.

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    That is the main reason i am very sceptical of visiting events in civilised countries....the marshals being way too strict and "by the book", which ruins the experience. People standing 20-30 meters away from the stages and marked "no go" areas are in some absurd places which are perfect to watch the event and only a freak accident could cause trouble.

My plans included Germany and finland this year but when i go to an event i want to have some freedom. So i think france or spain and GB will replace those.