Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_andrew
    So what are you doing to fix it?
    Im not the problem
    Sarah Fisher..... Team owner of a future Indy500 winning car!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    The drivers nationality isn't a deal breaker if they are fun to watch and provide a great show. THAT is the problem right now...the show isn't what it should be.
    It is in the U.S.
    Our paper in which the columnists rarely pay attention to racing, of any kind, had an article today about the lack of U.S. drivers giving statistics to support how sad it has become.
    Local or regional fans used to, and still do for the few that make it, pay a lot of attention when the home town boys appear/ed.

That plus the pathetic generic formula, is making Indy the pathetic thing it has become.

Liked 65 Times in 28 Posts
    I know some of you don't like to hear this, but the final tv-ratings are in:
    The race, which aired on ABC (WRTV-TV Channel 6) on Sunday, earned a 3.68 rating,
    http://www.ibj.com/blog/article?articleId=20274

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lousada

Down 7%. The Charlotte 600 was reported to be down 8%. So I guess you could say Indy Car did better than NASCAR!.

Of course, hockey beat both of them. It is a changing world. With 200-300 channels, getting better ratings is hard for any niche sport. Like it or not, all racing is a niche sport, even NASCAR.
    I read it on the internet, so it must be true

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbum
    Down 7%. The Charlotte 600 was reported to be down 8%. So I guess you could say Indy Car did better than NASCAR!.

Of course, hockey beat both of them. It is a changing world. With 200-300 channels, getting better ratings is hard for any niche sport. Like it or not, all racing is a niche sport, even NASCAR.
    http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/05/31...ak-field/52752

i think the 600 was up... by over a point.... 6+mil viwers is a 5 or so rating isnt it?
    Sarah Fisher..... Team owner of a future Indy500 winning car!

Liked 65 Times in 28 Posts

Last year the 600 was rain-delayed. It's 8% down compared to 2008. In 2008 the 500 got a 4.6. So in the same period Indy went down 20% compared to 8% for the 600.

Actually the Indy500 scored a worse rating than the season average for Nascar!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahFan
    http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/05/31...ak-field/52752

i think the 600 was up... by over a point.... 6+mil viwers is a 5 or so rating isnt it?
    Last year the race ran on Monday where ratings were way down from 2008

http://sportsmediawatch.blogspot.com...0-matches.html
    I read it on the internet, so it must be true

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
    It is in the U.S.
    Our paper in which the columnists rarely pay attention to racing, of any kind, had an article today about the lack of U.S. drivers giving statistics to support how sad it has become.
    Local or regional fans used to, and still do for the few that make it, pay a lot of attention when the home town boys appear/ed.

That plus the pathetic generic formula, is making Indy the pathetic thing it has become.
    The Generic formula is a bigger issue than the drivers. I do agree tho, the fans want one of their own to cheer on, but you cant dumb down the world so your guys can keep up. Fans flock to races in Canada where they may have one guy in the field. Some years we had none. I think the personality of the guys at the top of the series is a lot of what you need, and if the people in marketing with the IRL cannot use people like Dix, Dario and Helio (not to mention Ms. Judd) then it isn't the fan who is not getting it, it is the marketing department.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lousada

Put the damn race back to its earlier starting time. Changing that was one of George's most moronic moves.
    Still when NASCAR has its own quasi-network, its hard to beat with generic Formula Honda .

The new formula is not going to change that if they stick with the pathetic new proposal.
    The gear-heads used to be the fan base and they have been crapped on royally.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I read an article concerning the decline in Indy 500 ratings this year. One person commented and claimed it is "Because NASCAR is booooooooooooooooooooooooring," his spelling, not mine.

I wouldn't call racing a "niche sport". In terms of global audience Formula One is second only to soccer.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd