Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts

Epitome of a Sad State

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/04/24...ng-nyc-street/

This is horrible but shows what a sad state we are in. These asshole people couldn't even dial 911.
    Obama to Biden - "Let the Welfare checks rain upon the Earth - I am going to a barbecue"

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Fousto,

What do you expect from the most "progressive" city in the USA? They all expected the Government to help him.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Anthonyvop probably thinks it was his own fault and that everyone should survive on their own without any help from others.
    I could really use a fish right now

Liked 39 Times in 33 Posts
    As Anthonyvop said, it doesn't surprise me neither.

Couldn't tell you how many times I've seen people (middle-aged yuppie or youngsters sporting Grateful Dead T-shirts) in hip' districts, with all these notions of "embrace tolerance", just casually walk by any homeless person who could use a little help - whether in some spare change or something more dire.
    FIDO - Forget It, Drive On

Quote Originally Posted by Eki
    Anthonyvop probably thinks it was his own fault and that everyone should survive on their own without any help from others.
    You clearly misunderstood what he said.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AAReagles
    You clearly misunderstood what he said.
    he did but that never gets in the way of advancing his own agenda.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts

Couldn't tell you how many times I've seen people (middle-aged yuppie or youngsters sporting Grateful Dead T-shirts) in hip' districts, with all these notions of "embrace tolerance", just casually walk by any homeless person who could use a little help - whether in some spare change or something more dire.
    I too do exactly that, because, personally, I prefer to help homeless people by giving money to homeless charities, rather than beggars on the streets, underground trains and so on. That way, I am more sure that the money will be distributed in a sensible fashion.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    Fousto,

What do you expect from the most "progressive" city in the USA? They all expected the Government to help him.
    Dude, it's Queens. What do you expect?

Why would you ever give money to homeless people on the street? They'll use it for drugs and alcohol. Just give the money to a local soup kitchen or better yet volunteer some of your time to help.

As to the original post. Quite sad, really. I can't think of a reason for not helping the guy.
    Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    I too do exactly that, because, personally, I prefer to help homeless people by giving money to homeless charities, rather than beggars on the streets, underground trains and so on. That way, I am more sure that the money will be distributed in a sensible fashion.
    Yes...so true. What bothers me though is the cities that seem to tolerate and go out of their way to NOT try to find ways to get these people off the streets. The City of Toronto for YEARS has resisted a proper accounting and census of the street people, and whether they are getting help.

It is a tough thing to fall through the cracks of society, and usually it is a mental illness that drives people so far out into the depth's despair that living on the street is an option. That said, enabling them rather than trying to help them seems a false economy....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    From reading your posts in the past, I see you as a moderate liberal, not as some (hypocritical) full-extent left-winger; so yah, I can dig where you're coming from in that respect, as how you feel it would be best suited to be charitable at the moment when the occasion presents itself.

I should have clarified myself a bit - giving out a buck or some change isn't no big deal I figure, doesn't hurt my pocket any, and it allows them some $ assistance to get some smokes or a beer - the same vices I got from time to time. Having said that, it's not my place to judge them as to how they got to where they're at, or what they'll do with the money.

On occasion I contribute some relatively minor funds to charitable organizions as well - but only local ones, NOT corporate enterprises that have on numerous occasions proven to be malevolent in management, if not their practices.