From Speedtv.com March 1, 2007
By Robin Miller

"Most of Champ Car’s teams will likely take a pass on this year’s Indianapolis 500, but the way is now paved for any of its drivers to participate the whole month.

Although there’s no official announcement as yet, Champ Car’s inaugural race in Zhuhai, China, scheduled for May 20, is being moved to Oct. 28 – the week after the annual stop at Surfers Paradise, Australia. It’s believed the Chinese promoters need more time to work on the track and gather sponsorship.

This means Paul Tracy, Justin Wilson, Oriol Servia, Alex Tagliani, Nelson Philippe, Bruno Junqueira, Graham Rahal and Sebastien Bourdais would be around for all of May if, in fact, they seek a ride or are allowed to participate in the 91st classic. Newman/Haas Racing fielded a pair of cars for Junqueira and Bourdais in 2005, and that’s the only Champ Car team that would appear to have the wherewithall, desire and equipment.

Bobby Rahal co-owns an Indy Racing League operation and obviously that could be a seat for his 18-year-old son if he desired.

Junqueira was seriously injured while running fifth in ’05 but has always run well at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and was the polesitter in 2002.

“I think the only way I’d do it is if I could drive for Penske, Ganassi or AGR, but that’s not likely to happen and if you’re not with one of those three teams you’re running for eighth or ninth place,” said Tracy, who lost the 2002 race in appeals court.

If none of the drivers choose to run Indy, it means they’ll have six weeks between the third race of ’07 at Houston (April 22) and the fourth at Portland (June 10).

That will be the first of two six-week gaps, as Champ Car is also pushing its Sept. 9 show in Zolder, Belgium back to Aug. 26 so as not to tread on F1’s Belgian Grand Prix on Sept. 15 at Spa.

Teams will be idle from Assen, Holland on Sept. 2 to Australia on Oct. 21."

So basically, Robin Miller says that there is little chance of any ChampCar teams participating in the Indy 500, but the chances are better that individual drivers would participate since with the change of the China race date, the drivers would be off for one and a half months.

My question to the forum members is this, which drivers, in your opinions are the most likely to participate? And to you forum members who are Champ Car stalwarts, does participation in the Indianapolis 500 by a CCWS driver equate betrayal by that driver against the CCWS ?