Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Champ Car driver participation in the 500

From Speedtv.com March 1, 2007
    By Robin Miller

"Most of Champ Car’s teams will likely take a pass on this year’s Indianapolis 500, but the way is now paved for any of its drivers to participate the whole month.

Although there’s no official announcement as yet, Champ Car’s inaugural race in Zhuhai, China, scheduled for May 20, is being moved to Oct. 28 – the week after the annual stop at Surfers Paradise, Australia. It’s believed the Chinese promoters need more time to work on the track and gather sponsorship.

This means Paul Tracy, Justin Wilson, Oriol Servia, Alex Tagliani, Nelson Philippe, Bruno Junqueira, Graham Rahal and Sebastien Bourdais would be around for all of May if, in fact, they seek a ride or are allowed to participate in the 91st classic. Newman/Haas Racing fielded a pair of cars for Junqueira and Bourdais in 2005, and that’s the only Champ Car team that would appear to have the wherewithall, desire and equipment.

Bobby Rahal co-owns an Indy Racing League operation and obviously that could be a seat for his 18-year-old son if he desired.

Junqueira was seriously injured while running fifth in ’05 but has always run well at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and was the polesitter in 2002.

“I think the only way I’d do it is if I could drive for Penske, Ganassi or AGR, but that’s not likely to happen and if you’re not with one of those three teams you’re running for eighth or ninth place,” said Tracy, who lost the 2002 race in appeals court.

If none of the drivers choose to run Indy, it means they’ll have six weeks between the third race of ’07 at Houston (April 22) and the fourth at Portland (June 10).

That will be the first of two six-week gaps, as Champ Car is also pushing its Sept. 9 show in Zolder, Belgium back to Aug. 26 so as not to tread on F1’s Belgian Grand Prix on Sept. 15 at Spa.

Teams will be idle from Assen, Holland on Sept. 2 to Australia on Oct. 21."

So basically, Robin Miller says that there is little chance of any ChampCar teams participating in the Indy 500, but the chances are better that individual drivers would participate since with the change of the China race date, the drivers would be off for one and a half months.

My question to the forum members is this, which drivers, in your opinions are the most likely to participate? And to you forum members who are Champ Car stalwarts, does participation in the Indianapolis 500 by a CCWS driver equate betrayal by that driver against the CCWS ?
    HOO HOO HOO HOOSIERS !

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I could see Graham in a 3rd car for his father very easily.
    Most posters on this forum can't think past their own screen names...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Would be nice to see Marco Andretti and Graham Rahal compeating against each other.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't think you'll see many (if any) drivers because of this very logic:

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagocrewIRL
    “I think the only way I’d do it is if I could drive for Penske, Ganassi or AGR, but that’s not likely to happen and if you’re not with one of those three teams you’re running for eighth or ninth place,” said Tracy, who lost the 2002 race in appeals court.
    There's no benifit for Champ Car teams to come and run 10th. And without partnering with a team that has full development data on the IRL cars, they'll all be a bit behind the big three.

I do agree that we could see Graham with Dad, but I still don't think he'll have much shot at winning.

Shame, really...as it looks like May is going to open up for Champ Car and I'd love to see some teams participate.
    Doug

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DRC
    Shame, really...as it looks like May is going to open up for Champ Car and I'd love to see some teams participate.
    What would be the point? Most of them don't have any sponsors to please by appearing at Indy. So why help out a rival series to bring up its car count?
    The only thing that doesn't lie in racing is the stopwatch. (Derek Daly)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    But Paul Tracy didn't rule it out....which tells me these drivers want to drive. Having 6 weeks off in the middle of the season isn't good for any driver. Even though it's an oval, it's probably the most challenging oval out there.

I don't see AGR going with 6 cars, but it's not out of the question for Ganassi to field a third car, or Penske for that matter, to get a top notch Champ Car driver over for the month of May.

Remember I am talking about the individual DRIVERS, not Champ Car teams.
    HOO HOO HOO HOOSIERS !

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetch
    What would be the point?
    To improve the race that was once the great Indy 500.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetch
    Most of them don't have any sponsors to please by appearing at Indy.
    True, but the ability to run Indy may be a reason for a sponsor to join a team?
    Doug

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I forget if this was proved last year or two years ago when every CART driver that entered the race crashed out. I also remember the crowd going nuts when this happened, (at least it did in turn 4, I know I was laughing my ass off). I hope none of them enter the race.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ACTF_ZETT
    I forget if this was proved last year or two years ago when every CART driver that entered the race crashed out. I also remember the crowd going nuts when this happened, (at least it did in turn 4, I know I was laughing my ass off). I hope none of them enter the race.
    How many drivers was that? Two? Was the year CART driver took the top 6 spots funny? (With Tony Stewart doing "the double" in a CART team car in 7th.) Maybe *that's* why you don't want them entering...

Anyway, this would probably be too much of a distraction in Graham's rookie year.

I'd like to see a formal invitation (by TG) and a formal acceptance (by KK) to do this. With both sides on board, this could be done properly to the benefit of both sides and, gee-wiz, the fans and sponsors...

To late to see anything significant for this year. But the gesture can be made and the first steps taken.

It's well established that Indy can be done as a one-off or a crossover. If the right steps are taken, Indy could be huge in '08.

Btw, in Junky's first interview in the hospital he said he wanted to do Indy again. Not the words of a hapless victim.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZzZzZz
    How many drivers was that? Two? Was the year CART driver took the top 6 spots funny? (With Tony Stewart doing "the double" in a CART team car in 7th.) Maybe *that's* why you don't want them entering...

Anyway, this would probably be too much of a distraction in Graham's rookie year.

I'd like to see a formal invitation (by TG) and a formal acceptance (by KK) to do this. With both sides on board, this could be done properly to the benefit of both sides and, gee-wiz, the fans and sponsors...

To late to see anything significant for this year. But the gesture can be made and the first steps taken.

It's well established that Indy can be done as a one-off or a crossover. If the right steps are taken, Indy could be huge in '08.

Btw, in Junky's first interview in the hospital he said he wanted to do Indy again. Not the words of a hapless victim.
    Some good points, epsecially the one off attempts and Rahal(everyone said Andretti was too young and inexperienced-and he had more oval experience, regardless of his 2nd place result).

Just to be fair though...no way could CC put more than a few in the top 10...when they dominated the top 10 they had the best drivers and teams in OWR, now the reverse is true. I understand why you said that, but speaking realistically as things are today, it would never happen.

All that said, having the top 4 or 5 guys from Champ Car run the Indy 500 would be great. The only thing that would be better is to have a few of NASCAR's open wheel vets in the race.

The truth of it is, although you have 2 or 3 top teams in the IRL, the car and engine package being what it is, makes for an inviting opportunity for any driver and team not afraid to make excuses...after all, there is no shortage of practice time at Indy.
    Racing season is soon upon us!:smokin: