Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    I don't recall seeing any quotes to that effect. I assume you can provide links? More like they can make WAY more money in F1 and the other European series than in IRL (or CC for that matter). CART, at it's peak, was a viable alternative for F1 folks - and a number of them came over and raced here ovals and all. But neither NA open wheel series is more than a pimple on the world scene these days and that includes Indy.
    Coulthard is the only current F1 driver who I can recall making any comments about the safety of oval racing... and that's been quite a few years ago. Schumacher may have said something similar - I don't know. But the only race that I can recall Schumacher saying he wouldn't do, for safety reasons, was Le Mans.

To be honest, and not trying to be cruel, why would someone of Schumacher's stature risk his health and future with his family to race against the best (or the worst) that the IRL has to offer? I don't care for the guy at all, though I respect his skill, even if he won the Indy 500, what would that do for his legend? I think it would be a good resume footnote if he succeeded in winning, but... why? He's considered by many to be the greatest driver in the world. He would be expected to beat everyone from Sam and Helio to Danica and Sarah. What if that didn't happen? And even if it did, so what? Would the guy who took the throne from Ayrton Senna care that he's leading Sam Hornish or Danica Patrick? Too little to gain... too much to lose, IMO.

For the Marco Andrettis and Graham Rahals of the world (young, up and coming racers), a win might be something that would mean something more as they moved forward. But to be honest, if either of those kids makes it to Formula One and wins just ONE grand prix, I firmly believe that would be more talked about than if they were to win the Indy 500 in its current state. NASCAR drivers aren't even all that worked up about not being able to do the Indy 500 anymore. Does anyone see them as "pansies" for not wanting to do the Indy 500?
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You will not see any Champ Car drivers in the 500 this year unless there "ask" by KK. If the forum remebers, Junky was actualy leading the CC Championship when he was injured at Indy. I can tell you this, CC drivers and teams have not forgotten this fact. To be honest as long as the split continues, winning the 500 means very little to anyone out side of the IRL. However it would look nice on a resume.
    ChampCars Now, Tomorrow, Forever.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    [quote="ChicagocrewIRL"]I wonder what the chances are for Penske giving Paul Tracy or Sebastian Bourdais his third car ???QUOTE]

If he runs a third car, it would likely be his current employee Ryan Briscoe.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Drifter
    At the salary MS commanded why would he come to IRL or NAPCAR? 30+ mil salary and probably 50 more in side deals.
    Exactly. It was estimated during his final years of driving that Schumi's total annual compensation (salary, endorsements, etc.) exceeded $85,000,000 per year! (He and Tiger Woods were going back and forth with the title of World's Highest Paid Athlete.) Why run Indy and take a risk of a disfiguring or fatal injury, when you've got all that bank to spend? It's not worth it, and even if he ran it and won, how much effect would it have on his already considerable annual income? Not enough, that's how much...
    What's that smell? IRL!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Subaru WRX
    yes its too dangerous, don't forget Paul Dana incident of last year
    That was a car to car crash inolving a driver who shouldn't have been in the race. That could just as easily happened on a road course.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gofastandwynn
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6gpc6eo4tk

He hit the safer wall, but he hit them head on at an angle that it almost identical to Danny-Os accident in 81.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trTboUnwjls

And when people want to compare safety, they forget to factor in that a champ car will never get above 200mph while at most tracks an indy car never goes under 200mph...
    CC's 230+mph at Fontana must be a dream?

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Champ Cars only are slower in top speed by the nature of the course they have picked of late, but that said, they are hitting 190 mph at Vegas and Toronto, and last time I looked, running that fast on a narrow street course would be as daunting as any speeds raced at the billiard table smooth IMS.

IMS is still awesome however, but for poltical BS, would have a much better field. Maybe some drama in qualifying as 40 plus cars tried for 33 spots....oh right, 33 is just a number....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Tomas Enge managed to do significant damage to himself on a "low speed" street circuit. Auto racing by its very nature is inherently dangerous no matter what the speeds, no matter what type of car. To me, the argument that oval racing is MORE dangerous than any other type of racing just doesn't hold water. AND look at these guys who go 180+ mph in motorbikes. NOW THAT'S CRAZY !!!!!
    HOO HOO HOO HOOSIERS !

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weeflyonthewall
    CC's 230+mph at Fontana must be a dream?
    When did ChampCar run at Fontana?
    jp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jp
    When did ChampCar run at Fontana?
    I remember in 2003 the ex CART had Fontana in its final race of the season just after Surfers Paradise, but an earthquack there prevented the race and so the season ended in Australia (Tracy champion)
    Subaru World Rally champion...in 2008 :D