Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Cool Cup Series-Kobalt Tools 500 Racethread

Here we go, back to Atlanta,and back to some more traditional NASCAR country southern fried racing. I am looking forward to it as Atlanta has a history of some real close finishes.
    #4 2014 Sprint Cup Champion, 2007 Daytona 500,2003 Brickyard 400,2x Coke 600,2014 Southern 500 Champ: 962 starts,90 wins, 345 T5s, 544 T10s, 44 poles, 2x NNS champ

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Cool

Completely off topic for THIS race, but I know there are a few who are interested and I didn't want to start a whole new thread for it:

The Aussie V8's are racing in Bahrain this weekend and Speed Channel is carrying it at 2pm Eastern on Sunday. Thank God for DVR's!
    #4 2014 Sprint Cup Champion, 2007 Daytona 500,2003 Brickyard 400,2x Coke 600,2014 Southern 500 Champ: 962 starts,90 wins, 345 T5s, 544 T10s, 44 poles, 2x NNS champ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Junior On The Pole!!!! First pole since Texas, race 7 of 08

I've always rooted for this kid and was really happy to see him get a shot in a quality car. Even with Hendrick, I doubt he can take a championship though if he makes The Chase, anything can happen.

And of course, young Kyle is right there with him for the start so the dive in to one is going to be a good one, as I know that Kyle will drive it in there hard cold tires or not. Juan, Mark, and Jeff round out the top 5. Junior is probably hungry as all get out to lead that first lap but like Mark and Jeff, he's not crazy enough to push the edge straight out the gate. So that leaves the craziness of Kyle against the take no prisoners attitude of Juan for the early lead, unless Jeff really likes the way his car feels. Still, I think Kyle's the only one of the five that will drive a car deep no matter how bad it feels and worry about the exit when he get's there.

So, who's going to lead lap 5? I think that depends on who leads lap one. The speed and the track make for a huge aero push disadvantage to the following cars. Anyways, I give lap 5 to whoever starts on the outside. Might be the long way around but on an almost flat-out track, Big Mo around the outside takes the day.

Gotta ask a question. Does the pole-sitter have to take the inside lane?

And as always, your opinions and mileage may vary
    "He had the talent to be a champion, if only he weren't so stubborn." Harry Hyde

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 71Fan
    Junior On The Pole!!!! First pole since Texas, race 7 of 08

I've always rooted for this kid and was really happy to see him get a shot in a quality car. Even with Hendrick, I doubt he can take a championship though if he makes The Chase, anything can happen.

And of course, young Kyle is right there with him for the start so the dive in to one is going to be a good one, as I know that Kyle will drive it in there hard cold tires or not. Juan, Mark, and Jeff round out the top 5. Junior is probably hungry as all get out to lead that first lap but like Mark and Jeff, he's not crazy enough to push the edge straight out the gate. So that leaves the craziness of Kyle against the take no prisoners attitude of Juan for the early lead, unless Jeff really likes the way his car feels. Still, I think Kyle's the only one of the five that will drive a car deep no matter how bad it feels and worry about the exit when he get's there.

So, who's going to lead lap 5? I think that depends on who leads lap one. The speed and the track make for a huge aero push disadvantage to the following cars. Anyways, I give lap 5 to whoever starts on the outside. Might be the long way around but on an almost flat-out track, Big Mo around the outside takes the day.

Gotta ask a question. Does the pole-sitter have to take the inside lane?

And as always, your opinions and mileage may vary
    The answer to your question is no, he doesn't....The pole sitter has lane choice

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Junior still shows the flashes of brilliance he occasionally shows us all....but this getting into handling issues and finishing 15th has to stop....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks Slo....so my guess is that he will take the outside and that with the jump and Big Mo he leads at least until Kyle does a turn one dive on him. Although, if yer willing to clip the grass coming to start/finish ya might be able to get to turn one first. Hardly matters tho. The mix at the front is great.

Old Guy, Racer Guy, Prove He Still Can Guy, Crazy Guy, and Hungry Guy.

Oughts to be one heck of a start :-)
    "He had the talent to be a champion, if only he weren't so stubborn." Harry Hyde

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 71Fan
    Thanks Slo....so my guess is that he will take the outside and that with the jump and Big Mo he leads at least until Kyle does a turn one dive on him. Although, if yer willing to clip the grass coming to start/finish ya might be able to get to turn one first. Hardly matters tho. The mix at the front is great.

Old Guy, Racer Guy, Prove He Still Can Guy, Crazy Guy, and Hungry Guy.

Oughts to be one heck of a start :-)

Amen to that!!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm so happy for the kid! I know his recent results haven't shown much of anything positive but he's better than he's been. My fingers are crossed for a good finish on Sunday.
    "You win some, lose some, and wreck some." - Dale Earnhardt

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky1329
    I'm so happy for the kid! I know his recent results haven't shown much of anything positive but he's better than he's been. My fingers are crossed for a good finish on Sunday.
    It has been said the sport does better when he is running up front in ratings. I don't doubt it....but I know he hasn't been worth the fuss made about him. That said, I was a fan from the first day I saw him run and win at Texas in his Dad's Busch car, and I never was a fan of his old man. Junior is authentic...and while he isn't the best driver out there, he is a good guy at heart and well liked.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    whoops....my mistake....thought Atlanta was a D. Won't be no grass clipping off of four.