Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lotus to return to Indy

Now let's see how this can somehow be spun into a negative on this forum.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...-back-to-indy/

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    No doubt CART fans will say that it is a sign of a dying series.
    On a serious note, this is good news. Lotus is a big name and it is cool to say that F1 team competes in Indy
    Formula 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hopefully it is a good sign but you're both too late, see silly season thread from 2 days ago.
    It isn't the car Danica...it is the space between the steering wheel and the seat.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh1985
    Now let's see how this can somehow be spun into a negative on this forum
    OK here goes - A "Lotus" entry with a Dallara chassis?!?

Sorry

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Lotus with a Dallara? It would be news if it was Lotus with a Lotus, but alas, the idiots running Indy car racing have not figured out people MIGHT want to see THAT.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I really don't understany why Lotus Group (the car company) wants to be inolved in Indy. I look forward to learning more.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...stint-1222/P2/

scroll down for a story about the last Lotus attempt at Indy....

It is th closest thing I can come to as a "negative"

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by champcarray
    I really don't understany why Lotus Group (the car company) wants to be inolved in Indy. I look forward to learning more.
    To sell more Lotus Group cars (Toyota powered, I believe... ).

I think this is good news (any team or sponsor coming on board is good news). And "Lotus" is a legendary name in racing. But at the risk of being seen as Debbie Downer, people often forget that (as you pointed out) Lotus Group and Lotus' racing effort were separate entities. Although Colin Chapman founded both concerns, the two separated somewhere around 40 years ago, in much the same way that Cosworth Racing and Cosworth Engineering became separate firms.

That's not meant to take any of the spark out of this announcement. But this is a car company branding a racing team (same as with the F1 team and the MotoGP team). They also brand watches (which Lotus Design had a big hand in). I'm a Lotus fan and I believe I'll pick one up soon (the watch, not the car!).

Here's a pic of the Lotus Aprilia (sponsored/branded by the watch division). Even though it's all about branding and such, what I'd find exciting (in a nostalgic sense) is if Lotus Group could get Bruno Senna into one of its (sponsored) machines (F1 or IRL).
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 65 Times in 28 Posts
    Lotus watches has no connection to the road cars nor the racing team according to their website. They were founded in 1980 by a Spaniard.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    I'm really not sure. I'm just going by what those at Lotus Design have said in interviews:

Commenting on the introduction of the first “in house” designed Lotus watch, Russell Carr, Chief Designer of Lotus Design explains: “This is the first time Lotus Design has had the opportunity to play such a significant role in the development of a non-automotive product.

Whilst there are factors specific to watchmaking which we have had to learn, we wanted the Type 1 Lotus Watch to be essentially like our cars: to create desire through emotional and unique forms that remain honest to the functionality of the product.”
    Edit: Does Lotus Design make Lotus Watches? Are the companies one and the same???

P.S. Is ANYTHING about Lotus simple???
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith