Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Liked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    On a positive note, at least "Maria" is from Argentina, the country that gave us Fangio and Reutemann - and of course the Tango!!!
    Jense - Mclaren MP4-25 :D
    MonzaOne :D

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    After seeing him in GP2 I don´t think he will do anything remarkable... or at least I hope he is not too slow. I remember how the Spanish press tried to make him look as the next Fangio, but they had to stop that (very) few races after.

Anyway, If I were a team principal I´d try to avoid him because, this has been said a million times, there are better drivers out there, with sponsors too.
    Cuando el grajo vuela bajo hace un frío del carajo
    Which means:
    When the crow is flying low, it´s ****ing freezing cold

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Anyway, this does not mean I hope USF1 fails miserably, the point is I think Lopez is not the best option for a F1 drive in any team.
    Cuando el grajo vuela bajo hace un frío del carajo
    Which means:
    When the crow is flying low, it´s ****ing freezing cold

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    People here seem to be too quick to dismiss a driver they don't know. How many of you guys knew about Jenson, Kimi, or Fernando before they started in F1? JM Lopez is probably not the next best thing in F1, but that doesn't mean he is not a capable driver. The guy did a decent European single seater stint, including GP2, and has been in Renault's driving program which meant driving the F1 car when they were at their best. Since then, because of luck of funds, he turned back to Argentina. In 2009 he was by far the most dominant driver in the three most popular touring championships that are run down there, winning two of them and losing the third one in the last race.

I'm not sure at all how he will cope with F1 -- even less with all the uncertainty surrounding the team -- but he is no more "nobody" than many successful F1 drivers by the team they made their debut.
    You can't make a person love another person. You can only pray for it.

Stupid rules => stupid consequences :s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    "He became a major star as a result and, in turn, the Argentine nation - a country where F1 is second only to soccer - has got behind him," said USF1 sporting director Peter Windsor.

I am so glad we finally have a major star in F1! Who needs MSchumacher, Alonso, or even Raikkönen!

Henners >>> it just demonstrates how strapped for cash USF1 must be. Remains to be seen if they show some good sense and hire a halfway experienced AND quick driver for the second seat, or whether it's a complete sell-out...

Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
    I think you are not being fair with the Lopez analysis.
    Just because you do not know someone or do not remember, he is a disaster?????

I will sum up my point of view, I am not a Lopez fan, and I consider not to have a nationalism bias analysis.

Who is Lopez?
    Being very young he was a great talent in karting, he went to Europe and European team had very good impression out of him. He built a good career in single seat, growing and winning races in each series he took part, excellent WRS season and not a good one in GP2 (it happened to many drivers), He beated Kovalainen sharing the same team (both with Renault backing) several times in poles, and in races. This entire career was done with no support from Argentina, because he was not known here for having gone to Europe while in karting.

What this mean? He got his career based exclusively on talent.

When the Renault deal was over, he was left in Europe with no support at all, and came back to Argentina.

He was taken by works Honda tourism car team, and he soon delivered mainly poles (at races, the different style, took him some time to get accustomed).
    The following years h made himself a name mainly by being the fastest in qualy in each series he took part (3 series).

After that he got a name in Argentina, and here comes the F1 thing.

F1 budgets were really smaller that in used to be till 2007. Local Government is kind to this type of actions (I do not think it is a good idea to spend public money on this), so everything was to make a try at F1.

What I think? It is 3 years late for Lopez.
    But being him, is it an error or to try to take an excellent and unexpected opportunity? It will be first time Lopez races somewhere because of money backing him.

Then we should analyzed USF1 position, but that is another thing (I have written too much for the moment)
    Zeque
    Argentina

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Devote
    I hope that USF1 fails! Actually change its name Windsor, it has nothing to do with the US any more than Brawn GP is now pretending to be a German team!
    Well, at least Mercedes GP Petronas uses a German engine and apparently will have 3 German drivers... too much more isn't really realistic, given how multinational automobile companies work these days, with research and development facilities and factories all over the world.

Despite it all, I don't hope USF1 fails. So far, they have done nothing much but draw the ire of the fans they were hoping to attract, and are probably already the most hated team on the grid, ... before even MAKING it to the grid!! : But I also understand that there are enormous financial hurdles to face which ultimately dictate a lot of things. I hope they hang in there, and will get the opportunity to become what they originally planned to be... a team that runs at least one American driver, and that's based in the US, using as much American know-how as possible.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZequeArgentina
    I think you are not being fair with the Lopez analysis.
    Just because you do not know someone or do not remember, he is a disaster?????
    I think you are right there - and that people are more upset with USF1 than with Lopez. In a way, it's a real Cindarella story that he will finally get his shot at F1. Race fans just have a real dislike for the idea of "pay drivers" who take away seats from others they feel are more talented or qualified. Thank you for this perspective from the other side. I am sure it's very exciting news for race fans in Argentina!

Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
    If you aske me, I would have preffered Esteban Gu3errieri to do F1 this year, but for Lopez it is OK.

But I do expectfro Lopez? very little.
    He nows few circuits, but the same with USF1, no experience at all. The best to happen to Lopez is an experienced team mate!
    His lack of recent formula experience would mean he would take 4 races ata elastto recover his 2007 level, not good withF1 fans who have NO patience at all.

From USF1 point of view?
    I understand it is very usefull Lopez.
    First races it is a bet. They have no experience in circuits, in car desing, in anything, so even having Schumacher and Hamilton, the would most proably DNFor being in last positions.

They need a decent car, to understand it, make it drivers understand it and probably from mid season on, start to think in standings.

I think their idea of a all US team, have come to reality: US drivers (other than Scott Speed) have no eperience in circuits, a year of them to get experience is better (they are doing it, 2 or 3 drivers have gone to europe this year).
    They need money to develo as a team, get experience, and develop their car as well. Having a US driver at the end of the field will onl hurt their chances of backing from te US. Thsi year for the team is ust to get experience, with a pa drver, they got more resources to build a team.

Lopez knows this, but does he have another chance?
    May be, the team build a decent car, he can make reasonable races, and next year, who knows?
    Zeque
    Argentina

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    What I don't understand is the thinking behind employing a driver with no F1 race experience when you are in the position of US-F1. I don't know enough about Lopez but I know Nick Heidfeld is on the market and I'm sure he would sign up to a one year deal now his chances of a race seat have taken a nose dive. Of course employ both.
    I totally agree with that. It's hard to imagine USF1 having even decent performances.
    You can't make a person love another person. You can only pray for it.

Stupid rules => stupid consequences :s