Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Upgrading to Windows 7

OK!! how many guys will be upgrading to Windows 7? Is it worth it? Will my MechWarrior 4 with the MEKTEK upgrades still work on Windows 7?

What if my 6 years' old PC dies?

Just checked: the new Dell computers are already offered with Windows 7.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Good question.
    I just purchased a new laptop for the missus that came with Vista. She wants it removed (obviously) and replaced with W7. There's little else loaded on the machine yet, but should she hold off on installing any other software until W7 is installed?
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    This from a computer lightweight, but from what I've read, if you have Vista, your upgrade experience won't be so incredibly bad. But if you have XP, best of luck to you...

I'm not upgrading s###!
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schmenke
    Good question.
    I just purchased a new laptop for the missus that came with Vista. She wants it removed (obviously) and replaced with W7. There's little else loaded on the machine yet, but should she hold off on installing any other software until W7 is installed?
    If you can return it and get your money back, then that is the option. New computers are now selling with Windows 7 - I just checked it on the DELL website.

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    This from a computer lightweight, but from what I've read, if you have Vista, your upgrade experience won't be so incredibly bad. But if you have XP, best of luck to you...

I'm not upgrading s###!
    I guess we'll just have to wait until Daniel gets unbanned (after Abu Dhabi) to let us know. I certainly won't be paying AUD$160 just to upgrade - I may as well wait till my PC dies and then get a new PC. It's working OK right now - and I even dare to say that because I'm not afraid if it dies.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schmenke
    Good question.
    I would stick with Vista for her laptop until W7 gets its first SP, probably a year from now.
    But if you are bound and determined to upgrade ASAP, then you have to ensure that a) you are fully able to restore Vista (and all drivers) should your upgrade go awry, and b) you have ALL of the drivers needed by the laptop that are supported in W7.

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edv
    I would stick with Vista for her laptop until W7 gets its first SP, probably a year from now.
    But if you are bound and determined to upgrade ASAP, then you have to ensure that a) you are fully able to restore Vista (and all drivers) should your upgrade go awry, and b) you have ALL of the drivers needed by the laptop that are supported in W7.
    Maybe this will help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTUfd_ENYSo

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Valve Bounce
    NEIN NEIN NEIN !! Lol

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    I would say load it as fast as you can. Vista was/is horrible. Win7 copied many of the mac features plus hopefully by now they have some security built it. If you have a older computer however you need to pay attention to the processor and memory. They newer operating systems need much of both.

As far a comp to XP you really need to get going because of the new things coming. So may sure you can run it and then get er done!!
    Obama to Biden - "Let the Welfare checks rain upon the Earth - I am going to a barbecue"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been running Windows 7 in a virtual environment on my mac for a couple of weeks now and I can say it is a huge improvement over Vista. Much faster, less of the annoying 'Are you sure you want to run this program? are you REALLY sure?' dialog boxes and so far I've not had a problem with any of my applications. If you're running Vista, I'd upgrade straight away. If you're running XP, then maybe I'd put off upgrading.

I did a clean install in my virtual environment and it was painless, however the BBC have mentioned a few problems in this article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8317005.stm

I didn't have any of the problems mentioned in that article, but of course every PC is different.

I don't want to praise Microsoft too much (as I mentioned, I'm a mac geek!) but they have learned from the mistakes in Vista. They've worked with a lot of hardware manufacturers to help them build drivers for Win7. With Vista it was pretty much a closed door, so on launch day the hardware manufacturers were playing catch up.

Win7 features a 'Windows XP mode' (not sure if that is in all versions of Win7) which is a useful feature. I've not had to run an app in XP mode yet, but when I went to the technical launch of Win7 they gave a demonstration of this.
    Naturally! It\'s much too dangerous to jump through the fire with your clothes on! - Christoper Lee, \"The Wicker Man\", 1973.