Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Driven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Another movie that I just thought of. Of course I can't remember the name, it may have been "Greased Lightning"? It was the movie about Wendell Scott, starring Richard Pryor. It's been quite a few years since I saw it, but I remember it being fairly good.

Another NASCAR movie that I liked a bit was the ESPN movie 3. It seemed to do a good job of telling Dale's life. Although I'm sure it left a bunch out.
    The overall technical objective in racing is the achievement of a vehicle configuration, acceptable within the practical interpretation of the rules, which can traverse a given course in a minimum time. -Milliken

Liked 39 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    We don't hold it against you any more than I hold Eki's silly ideas against you......
    FIDO - Forget It, Drive On

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by philipbain
    As for Winning, I havnt seen it, I have ordered it on DVD from Amazon for £4.18 so i'll check it out!
    I have now received and watched Winning, its a decent film, better than most of the genre and provides a nice perspective on american racing in the late 60s. However it isnt a patch on Grand Prix, which is technically better (cinematography & sheer epic quality), has better editing and in my mind has a better story. Also Winning suffers from speeding film up in a method I like to call "Berbie style" (this is particularly aparent in the touring car races), which does nothing other than make the whole thing look unrealistic, Grand Prix went to great lengths to avoid this, indeed at times some of the cars look a little slow, particularly onboard shots at faster tracks like Spa where the F3 based F1 mock-up camera cars are not able to run the same sort of speeds as thier F1 couterparts.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by philipbain
    Also Winning suffers from speeding film up in a method I like to call "Berbie style" (this is particularly aparent in the touring car races),
    I think the term your looking for is "undercranking".
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck34
    Another movie that I just thought of. Of course I can't remember the name, it may have been "Greased Lightning"? It was the movie about Wendell Scott, starring Richard Pryor. It's been quite a few years since I saw it, but I remember it being fairly good.

Another NASCAR movie that I liked a bit was the ESPN movie 3. It seemed to do a good job of telling Dale's life. Although I'm sure it left a bunch out.
    Greased Lightning was an excellent film.....

Didn't see 3. Want to. I remember the Petty story done as a movie with Richard playing himself and Darren McGavin was Lee. It wasn't bad as I remember. Most of the footage of races tho was from newsreel and early tv clips...
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".