Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

McLaren to ditch Mercedes for BMW in F1 2010?

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/153197/...n_f1_2010.html
    McLaren's partnership with engine-supplier Mercedes-Benz – believed to have been on rocky ground for some time – could culminate in divorce as soon as the end of the 2009 F1 World Championship campaign, it has been rumoured, with reports that BMW is set to fill the breach.

A number of factors are understood to have led to the apparent deterioration of the McLaren-Mercedes relationship, which since its foundation back in 1995 has yielded no fewer than four world championships (three drivers' crowns and one constructors' trophy) and 60 grand prix victories. Of late, however, the strength of the ultra-successful partnership has been assaulted by a number of scandals – from the 2007 'Spygate' row to reigning F1 World Champion Lewis Hamilton controversially being caught lying to race stewards following the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne this year.

That is believed to have left a bad taste in the mouth at Mercedes, and allied to the poor early-season performance of the aerodynamically ill-born MP4-24 – despite the Stuttgart manufacturer's engine widely-acknowledged to be the best on the starting grid – and contrastingly excellent form of Brawn GP, which the three-pointed star helped to save from extinction last winter, there has been increasing speculation in recent months that Mercedes is looking to switch its allegiance and acquire a shareholding in the ex-Honda F1 outfit instead.

the force india partnership is with McLaren ?
    who will run Mercedes engines
    Brawn redbull williams ?
    VERSTAPPEN: ‘If I’d let Sainz past, dad would’ve kicked me in the nuts!’

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Time for my fave song;

Its called "the never gonna happen" song, and it goes something like this....

Never gonna happen, never gonna happen,
    Never gonna happen, never gonna happen
    Da da da
    All other opinions are wrong....

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Never gonna happen indeed. Mercedes own a significant proportion of McLaren as I understand.

Interesting however that BMW is looking to remain as an engine supplier?
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Well, there have also been rumours about Mercedes considering to buy into Brawn and I was wondering, why do they need two "factory teams", so there might be more behind all that before we all start singing that song. : But I would wait for more evidence before speculating further.

And BMW won't remain as engine supplier. McLaren would simply buy their F1 engine division, which they may not need in the future any longer.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    And BMW won't remain as engine supplier. McLaren would simply buy their F1 engine division, which they may not need in the future any longer.
    That's an interesting idea. We know McLaren are already building their own engine for their new road car. Buying up BMW's designs and tooling (and perhaps taking on some key people) would be a short cut to building their own F1 engines.

Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL
    That's an interesting idea. We know McLaren are already building their own engine for their new road car. Buying up BMW's designs and tooling (and perhaps taking on some key people) would be a short cut to building their own F1 engines.

Only one problem with that...

Remember Ilmor, the previous builder of engines that was bought out by McLaren from Penske, only to be bought up by Mercedes later on?...

The problem is that they would be putting themselves back into the same problem of the F1 GTR back in the late 90's, where it used the BMW V12 engine while they were racing with Mercedes-backed power.
    Defend mediocrity... because excelence is just too hard to achieve. :p

Liked 1,090 Times in 607 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Never gonna happen indeed. Mercedes own a significant proportion of McLaren as I understand.

Interesting however that BMW is looking to remain as an engine supplier?
    I would be VERY happy if BMW stayed on as an engine supplier. Even if the rumors are true and two teams do not make the grid five engines for twelve teams is pretty thin.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'll believe it when I see it!
    :rotflmao: :roll::rotflmao: :roll::rotflmao:

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Rumours. Fleetwood Mac made a great album about them
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    Rumours. Fleetwood Mac made a great album about them
    dun dun dun, da da dun dun dun dun dun dun dun.........

Mclaren-Mercedes partnership is too strong IMO, I believe they cant break up, Merc make brilliant engines, Mac make brilliant cars (usually), so hopefully the good work between the two will continue.........
    Congratulations Sebastian Vettel. Champion of the season of seasons.