Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Plan X

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Plan X

As it stands, the IRL is headed nowhere fast. How would you feel if NASCAR took over the IRL? I know we've discussed them taking over the 500, but I'm talking abou the whole sanctioning body. NASCAR has the cash, connections, and name recognition to save the IndyCar Series. IndyCar offers some international name recognition that could give NASCAR a boost.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    NASCAR would bury it. Although possibly slower than it's being buried now. If it comes down to it, let it die and come back fresh and new under private ownership. I'm not confident it will survive to 2011 let alone 2013, but there's a lot of money in keeping the 500 strong, so who knows how long the IRL will be propped up. Maybe long enough that it starts attracting some fans, who knows.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nick,

If it dies what makes you think it will ever come back? Who would step up to start it again? I don't see any scenario with that happening.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    My advice is not to bother with ratings and plans - enjoy the series while it lasts...
    Formula 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_andrew
    As it stands, the IRL is headed nowhere fast. How would you feel if NASCAR took over the IRL? I know we've discussed them taking over the 500, but I'm talking abou the whole sanctioning body. NASCAR has the cash, connections, and name recognition to save the IndyCar Series. IndyCar offers some international name recognition that could give NASCAR a boost.
    My suspicion is NASCAR would immediately kill it off. It is competition after all.

Here is a good article about NASCAR's attitude toward other racing. Obviously, they aren't fans of technology. A realistic scenario would be to kill the IRL, make the Brickyard the premier race at Indy (NASCAR already thinks it is), and run Grand-Am at the road course now used by the IRL.

Being bought out / merged by your biggest competitor is a sure fire way to go out of business. IHMO, the IRL faces some real issues, but so does all forms of racing. Even the powers at F1 are moaning about attendance. The key for all series is to keep the costs in line with the funding available. With the same equipment being used year to year, the IRL can sustain itself as long as the prize money / TEAM money stays realistic. The IRL is right in not making a quick move to new equipment as that would probably not be economically viable right now.
    I read it on the internet, so it must be true

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_andrew
    First question is, why would NASCAR even want the IRL? I would think that the only way NASCAR would want take the IRL would be if the Indianapolis Motor Speedway came with it . . . . . at a very good price.
    DVR . . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbum
    Obviously, they aren't fans of technology.
    With a 6 or 7 year old kit-car and a one-size-fits-all spec-motor, can the IRL be considered a fan of technology?

Quote Originally Posted by beachbum
    A realistic scenario would be to kill the IRL, make the Brickyard the premier race at Indy (NASCAR already thinks it is), and run Grand-Am at the road course now used by the IRL.
    This year's B/Y 400 got a 4.8 TV rating. What did this year's Indy 500 get?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nascar helping irl. This is a joke right?
    Keep it fast, keep it real!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roy
    With a 6 or 7 year old kit-car and a one-size-fits-all spec-motor, can the IRL be considered a fan of technology?

This year's B/Y 400 got a 4.8 TV rating. What did this year's Indy 500 get?
    There is still more technology in one Dallara-Honda then the entire Sprint Series line up.
    The Other Side - "2011 Silly Season Update" Dec 17/2010
    Bookmark Us!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chamoo
    There is still more technology in one Dallara-Honda then the entire Sprint Series line up.
    The top Sprint Cup teams have big engine rooms where the build their own engines. The engine room for an Indy Car team is a closet where they keep the crate the engine came on.

Most Sprint Cup teams build their own chasis. A Dallara shows up in a box with "SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED, BATTERIES NOT INCLUDED" stamped on the side.