Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

iRacing to launch full IndyCar series game this fall

I've never tried iRacing but they're supposed to be one of the best track simulators around, so much that guys like Scheckter and Wilson use them to learn new courses. According to this video starting in the fall they'll have the 500 and the rest of the 2009 schedule of tracks available to play online with competitors. This new software has been designed by laser imaging of each course layout, down to the inch at Indy. And the car handling is realistic as well as they worked closely with Dallara to design the physics, and the car is based on the newest version of the chassis:

http://indycar.neulion.com/indy/cons...atid=11&id=573

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Looks great but...

If you look at the list of tracks and cars there is one list that is available when you sign up. And there appears to be another list that is available for an extra fee. But nowhere on the site are you able to find out what those extra fees are.

What a SLEAZY marketing tactic. Hey buy a airline ticket to our beautiful resort, when you get here we will tell you how much it costs to stay for a week.

I just sent them an email to see what the response is to this.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    Looks great but...

If you look at the list of tracks and cars there is one list that is available when you sign up. And there appears to be another list that is available for an extra fee. But nowhere on the site are you able to find out what those extra fees are.

What a SLEAZY marketing tactic. Hey buy a airline ticket to our beautiful resort, when you get here we will tell you how much it costs to stay for a week.

I just sent them an email to see what the response is to this.

Gary
    cars are $15 each and the tracks range from $15 to $25. there are also various discounts, 10% off if you buy 3 items, 20% for six and other subscribtion deals. it's pricy but worth it in my opinion.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redmist
    cars are $15 each and the tracks range from $15 to $25. there are also various discounts, 10% off if you buy 3 items, 20% for six and other subscribtion deals. it's pricy but worth it in my opinion.

But I wonder why they don't make any of this known untll after you pay to sign up. I think its pretty sleazy marketing.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Do you have to pay another $15 if you wreck the car?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickFalzone
    Do you have to pay another $15 if you wreck the car?
    nope, you only pay for items once. if you let your subscription lapse and then re-subscribe later all the stuff you've bought is there waiting for you.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Think ill stick to rfactor for the moment...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Looks somewhat pricey. It would be nice if they had some sort of time limited demo you could try out first. So can anyone here offer an opinion on it? What's the game play (and fellow players) like? How are the graphics (minimum specs are pretty old)?

NEAT! I didn't know you could watch old races on Indycar. I just watched 1984 Mid-Ohio race from beginning to end. It looks like a high quality VHS conversion!
    Who, What, When, Where, Why -- http://champcarstats.com/

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marbles
    Looks somewhat pricey. It would be nice if they had some sort of time limited demo you could try out first. So can anyone here offer an opinion on it? What's the game play (and fellow players) like? How are the graphics (minimum specs are pretty old)?
    I looked into subscribing about a year ago, but decided not to. I got a chance to try it out at a friends over a weekend and was very impressed with the sim itself. I've driven most racing sims that have come out for the PC and this was by far the best one in terms of driving physics. But when I took in all the information I could find, I decided it wasn't for me. It seems to be mostly for the super hardcore sim racer and a lot of the people doing it take it way too seriously. My friend no longer subscribes and found for the mid level driver the online races weren't much fun. He said he would end up racing his shadow most of the time with really fast guys way ahead of him and the slower guys way behind him. If your one of the fast guys, then I understand the racing is better. You need a pretty high spec machine to be able to run this well. Another reason I decided not to join. My 2.8 processor was below the dual core 3.2 they recommended.

If you want to check out a place that you can learn more about iRacing, try racesimcentral.com. Go to the forum and you'll find iRacing under the Sports and Touring Car section. There is a thread about the Indycar release and another good one on why people aren't subscribing to iRacing.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite9185
    Think ill stick to rfactor for the moment...
    Same here. I Don't have a league at the moment though.