Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Devote
    Both Senna and Prost spent far more seasons in better equipment...
    Have you wondered why?
    Piquet was a manipulative insecure person...
    He was not unique in that respect.
    Mansell did not come from a wealthy banking background like Piquet. He did it himself, taking financial risk because he had ironclaed confidence in the ability he demonstrated in the junior formulae.
    Piquet's father was a politician and did not approve of his son's racing. Nelson used his mother's maiden name to keep his racing secret from his father who refused to fund him (link).

Yes, Mansell made sacrifices and was certainly determined, but as a racing driver he was (and is) certainly not unique in that respect. It's just that a lot more has been made of Mansell's "struggle against the odds".
    I supported Mansell and neither of the other two because I saw something about Nigel that resonated with me...
    That's fair enough. We all have our favourites
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    That's fair enough. We all have our favourites
    .............and foibles. :
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Piquet was a manipulative insecure person while Nigel's teammate - and after Nigel walloped him good at Silverstone all Piquet could do was make insulting remarks against Nigel's wife.

Not to forget the similar treatment he gave out to Senna.

Mansell relied on his ability and to undermine that is something no Red 5 fan would ever do.
    You're just being blinkered, just like a Schumi fan who sees Schumi can do no wrong. I'm quite happy to recognise a driver has strengths and weaknesses.

Mansell learnt from Piquet on what it takes to be WDC.

Mansell would only go back to Williams if he was #1 driver, played the same mind games with Patrese regarding set ups as Piquet did to him. Mario Andretti called Mansell the worst team mate he ever had because Mansell wanted exclusive treament from Newman-Haas.

Doesn't sound like the same Mansell in the mid-80s begging for parity at Williams.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Well, as it has already been discussed here, Mansell was in my view definetely inferior to Prost and Senna. As for that famous 1990 AP vs NM team-mate battle, then yes - Mansell was capable of being as quick as anyone on his day and was very fast in 1990 as well. But he was never quite as consistent as Prost. Mansell is rated extremely highly due to his spectacular style, but less notice is given to the fact that he tended to make stupid mistakes from time-to-time as well.