Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Could be worse and be like FIA and annoying everybody.

The truth here as you will have guessed is that I lean towards the BMW view due to the many, many years supporting BMW Motorsport teams (in all series they race). I am still reeling from the F1 bombshell... but much as I am saddened at the news I am not going to kick the organisation that has given me so many rewards over the years in competition... sad I know.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Another take of the Sauber buyout...

We all know that Peter Sauber is passionate about F1 and about his former team... but he is also 66 years of age now... so how much longer can he realistically run an F1 team.

Even that great man Ken Tyrrell who sold his team in 1997 when he was aged 73 had in reality pretty much handed over full control of his team to his son and Harvey Postlethwaite by 1991 (when he was about the same age as Sauber...)

The ever present Ron has finally gone leaving Frank Williams (67) and Head (64)who are close to retiring and attend few races now but they have an established team, not a new start up one and they are also a partnership so can share the job /responcibilites/stress etc.

Is this in reality just wishful thinking on Peter Saubers part... surely the team if sold needs to have younger blood...

Maybe Sauber and Thiessen together could do something but I hold out little hope of that... but I could be wrong

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper_S

We all know that Peter Sauber is passionate about F1 and about his former team... but he is also 66 years of age now... so how much longer can he realistically run an F1 team.
    Another 5-10 years are realistic IMO.
    And let's be honest 5 years is a lot of time when you think that F1 is only aged 60.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    you know whats better than being rich?

having a rich dad that way you dont work and only do what you like.

seems fitting here.
    see what happens when schumacher doesnt get number 1 status and a lapdog as a teammate?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    And let's be honest 5 years is a lot of time when you think that F1 is only aged 60.
    agree bmw should make thing easy for a sauber takeover.
    see what happens when schumacher doesnt get number 1 status and a lapdog as a teammate?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper_S

OK... so despite my giving examples at to why at 66 he may be too old to run a team and drive it back up to the heights it never achieved under a younger Peter Sauber... you instead give me 5-10 years as being realistic

Now I fully appreciate this is qualified with an IMO after it but still with respect I would think that most people would go with 2-3 years max. as far more realistic and I would find that figure harder to disagree with.

You are correct however in that a year is a long time in F1 so a lot could happen in 3 years, but I still disagree the Peter Sauber's ambition is workable long term.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Piquet Sr has already bought teams in lower series to pave his son's way upwards in racing career ladder. Can't say I'm really fond of such solution - if no-one wants an uncompetitive driver, then lets buy a whole team and get a drive there! That's already a higher level compared to paydrivers...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    For sure Sauber saving his team (not a coincidence that it was always called BMW-Sauber folks...) is a stop-gap to handing it over to someone with the resources to run it properly.

In fact I'd go as far to say that he'd have considered removing his involvement from the team in the next few years had BMW's F1 project stayed solvent. I do expect someone to come in and take them over...but I'd be surprised if it happened and was all tied up by 2010. And even if it was it would take a massive rule change (as we had this year) to give them a shot at being anywhere near competitive.
    Member of Race Drivers Inc.
    "Live The Dream"

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    Piquet Sr has already bought teams in lower series to pave his son's way upwards in racing career ladder. Can't say I'm really fond of such solution - if no-one wants an uncompetitive driver, then lets buy a whole team and get a drive there! That's already a higher level compared to paydrivers...
    Who care about what Piquet Sr did with is own money?
    What is important is that his son delivered back then and it wasn't a waste of money for his father.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro