Page 73 of 222 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123173 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Some comments about the conditions:

When the drivers on Tuesday took on the reconnaissance special stages east of Hagfors, it was undoubtedly the gravel on the roads that all the talk was about.
    - At the moment this seems to be quite tough conditions. You have to remember to save the tires, "said Petter Solberg.
    - It's almost just gravel, and once within the snow, it is very soft, "says Dani Sordo.
    - It looks okay. Things are not so good, especially on the last leg, "said Sébastien Loeb during matuppehållet where his comment was aimed at special stage 19 Lesjöfors.
    - There was such deep scars that it is a bit like driving a train. When you look at the major roads, it seems like there is a lot of snow, but it is quite different on the small roads, "continued the Frenchman.
    - I'm a bit disappointed. It is a bit too gravelly, I think the organiser should have been out and watered the roads. But I should not complain, it's the same for everyone, " was Marcus Grönholm's reply.

The problem, ironically enough is that the winter was too good. The cold usually comes after a period of sleet weather which usually gives a nice level of ice underneath the gravel roads. But it was to cold for the ice level to develop properly.
    - This year, it has been a very cold winter, "explains race director Bertil Klarin. It hasn't been above zero since it has started to snow.
    Indeed it has been watered, but only in three places: the sub-super special at Färjestad racetrack, also at the newly constructed road at Värmullsåsen in Hagfors, and thirdly also the entrance of the new Viggen distance.
    - There is asphalt, so we had to get a bit of ice on there.
    • What about Gronholm's proposal?
    - I do not think Marcus knows what it means if one is to irrigate 33 miles of special stages. It is quite impossible. We must therefore rely on nature, and this year it has given us zero temperatures and snow.

Another area of concern for the drivers is the new drive tires from Pirelli. We have only used them at one Rally before, Rally Norway last year, and at that stage the level of ice underneath the snow was perfect.
    - It will be very difficult, especially when there is so much gravel and only a little bit of snow on top of the roads. If one is to hit some patches of ice, combined with the gravel it can become very slippery, "said Petter Solberg.
    - I think it will be important to save the tires, we have not tested much under these conditions, "said Loeb who like Grönholm preferred the watered-ice roads more then the other roads.
    - There has certainly been better. I understand that the organisers might perhaps not have the money to fully water the roads, but it definitely would have been the better option.
    Dani Sordo, who comes from the back of a victory at the Arctic Lapland Rally a week and a half ago, has an even more drastic proposal.
    - It (the Arctic Rally) had perfect conditions, real ice. Perhaps it (Arctic Rally) should rather be in the world championship next year, instead?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krigen
    I have been to all Swedish rally since 98, and to all 3 Rally Norway. If there is only one snow event per year i absolutely think it should be in Sweden.. Nicer prices, nicer peolpe,much better for spectators, Swedish rally has "soul", where i think rally Norway has not. Best if wee could have 2 snow rallies, but since we have not, Sweden is the best! Maybe Norway could host a snow IRC event??
    But as a rally - for competitors - Norway is way better than Sweden. I have done them both, several times. Norway is more technical and challenging, while Sweden is like a snow race in the forest. Actually a bit boring with all the superfast straight stuff. Sweden has nothing like the Mountain stage in Rally Norway, its simply a great stage and already becoming a classic in the WRC after just two events. And remember the overall great fight we had in Norway right to the end in 2009, one of the really amazing competitions ever.
    Weather can also be a real letdown in Sweden. The worst I did was 2002, when the roads just melted away during the rally. It ended up like a mudrace on the last day, the long stage ending up in Hagfors had 20-30 cm mud ruts, it was absolutely horrendous and had nothing to do with winter rallying. And sitting in a rally car during three days, doing the incredibly boring long trek to and from Hagfors every morning and evening, is not funny at all.

I agree that spectatorwise Sweden can be a lot better, both with atmosphere and "soul". Swedes have more tradition with their rallying and its really nice and friendly out in the forests. In Norway they have focused a lot on corporate entertainment, which isn`t real rallying for me.

Both are of course good rallies, and if we can get the money in Norway its a good solution to run them both every other year.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    this site post photos from mobilphones from public and others.

http://www.motorsport4sale.com/mms.asp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Iskald
    In Norway they have focused a lot on corporate entertainment, which isn`t real rallying for me.
    I'm afraid it will be more of this in the future, when new countries joins as arrangers, and dont really know what they get in to.
    According to Clarin the swedes can not run their rally every year anyway, no money.
    Aja kovaa Pena.

Liked 445 Times in 205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Ibbe[swe
    ]this site post photos from mobilphones from public and others.

http://www.motorsport4sale.com/mms.asp
    thanks !!!

Is it Marcus car :

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Lightyear
    Marcus looks to have aged a little! no? A podium would be great for Marcus.
    I was thinking exactly the same! What's up with those wrinkles and, well.. He looks more "white" (with less colours, maybe the scandinavian winter was something to do with that).

Hope he performs well. It's one of his favorite rallyes and, this time, in his former runner-up champion car!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    They just showed from tv some stuff from Sweden, and did interview Bosse, he said, that even he is in Sweden as tourist, his aim is the podium.
    The press had crowded Kimi big time, it wont be a easy rally for him, my guess is that he wont finish, too difficult conditions now.
    Aja kovaa Pena.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    right, I'm pretty much packed now. Jumping on the bus in 2 hours to catch my flight from stansted tomorrow morning. Really looking forward to this weekend! Hope everyone enjoys the rally!
    Forza Ferrari!
    Michael Schumacher the best F1 driver ever

Liked 103 Times in 39 Posts
    I'm excited and all I'm doing is sitting at home, no exercise, no fresh air, no food for 3 days! I'd love to have gone, but money talks...

Enjoy yourself Viktory, and anyone else going.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So......tomorrow we will fly from Eindhoven (NL) to Skavta to go to see the rally. I am looking forward, the weather conditions seem to be good!