Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

Can IndyCar Overtake F1?

I have been thinking about an article in a German motorsports newspaper which includes that the IndyCar could overtake the Formula One as the highest level of motorsport. That article, I have read, was in 2002, but it doesn't go out of my brain. : It said that it could be happen in 2007. Now, we have 2009. So, what do you think? Has the IndyCar the power to become the highest level in motorsports? Bigger than Formula One?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Short of F1 not existing (which honestly is not impossible with their stupid politics) the answer is no. The NASCAR fans would say that IndyCar needs to surpass them as well to get to the top. This is a pretty ridiculous question IMO, not going to happen. Best IRL can hope for in the next decade is to solidify its spot as the runner-up to F1, that's if the IRL survives that long to become CART 2.0.

I personally believe that the quality of the drivers, tracks, and the equipment (if not the variety) puts the IRL in a first class, but the lack of tv popularity and attendance really sets the league back.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickFalzone
    Short of F1 not existing (which honestly is not impossible with their stupid politics) the answer is no. The NASCAR fans would say that IndyCar needs to surpass them as well to get to the top. This is a pretty ridiculous question IMO, not going to happen. Best IRL can hope for in the next decade is to solidify its spot as the runner-up to F1, that's if the IRL survives that long to become CART 2.0.

I personally believe that the quality of the drivers, tracks, and the equipment (if not the variety) puts the IRL in a first class, but the lack of tv popularity and attendance really sets the league back.
    pretty good take o nthings...

I would add that AOWR has never had the sort of leadership/cohesion that NASCAR or F1 has enjoyed in the past 25 years - without somebody guiding the sport and without "players" who are not willing to follow it isn't going to happen....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I was thinking this thread was about an Indycar overtaking a Formula 1 car...in that case, no.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    IndyCar has always been better than F1 to me.
    Danica Patrick- 2013 Sprint Cup Series Champion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanicaFan
    IndyCar has always been better than F1 to me.
    I am a die hard US based open wheel motorsports fan. If Indycar passes F1 then Danica is a shoo-in for WDC, you read it here first!

rh
    "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drewdawg727
    I was thinking this thread was about an Indycar overtaking a Formula 1 car...in that case, no.
    As raced legally in 2009, an Indycar at Bonneville would beat a F1 car there. IMTO (In My Technical Opinion) based on measured speeds racing this year.

rh
    "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoop-98
    As raced legally in 2009, an Indycar at Bonneville would beat a F1 car there. IMTO (In My Technical Opinion) based on measured speeds racing this year.

rh
    How did you come to that conclusion?
    F1 races on a road course only. So you have no idea how fast an F1 car is.

Actually an F1 car has more HP, weighs less and has less downforce. Basic physics dictates that it would leave an IRL Dallara in it's dust.

back to the subject. For ICS to surpass F1 it would have to.........forget it. Ain't gonna happen.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Maybe if we go back in time to 1994 and kill TG to stop the split from happening...

And the F1 car has more downforce, not less.

I once saw a video from Motegi (circa 2008) of a 3-5 lap race between an IndyCar and a F1 car on the oval. The F1 car won.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This thread is a joke, right?