Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 252 Times in 68 Posts

Rally of Canberra

We'll be bringing out the turbo Charade GTTi for ROC this year. Won't be doing the whole ARC, just selected events such as Forster and Melbourne.

Had fun last year codriving and coming 3rd in the BP Privateers, this is the year to drive.

We will be supported by Jester's Pies and 4Kam Australia, with all fuels and lubricants by Shell, tyres by Dunlop. Also there will be major support from NSW Bearing Supplies.

So look out for the Red/White and Yellow Charade this year.

Ray
    2007 Australian Rally Champion Driver Class P3
    2011 Australian Rally Champion Codriver Privateers Cup and Premier League,
    2014 Australian Targa Champion Codriver Late Classic

Liked 3,302 Times in 1,740 Posts
    Well, good luck on the stages Ray!

Rally of Canberra seems to be a beautiful event. Just take a look at the photos from 2004:
    http://www.rallyonline.pl/g.php?1&pg...T[id]=1900
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

2004 was the last year that I drove at ROC, last year i codrove.

It was a very dusty event as you can tell from those photos. Might be different this year as it's being held in Winter. Still no trees though.

Ray

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ray, Jesters Pies huh?
    Does that mean your tent is the place to eat in the service park???
    Good luck with the driving this year. Keep us all posted!!!
    RIP Malcolm ;( Hope you have an audi quattro up there.

Liked 353 Times in 209 Posts
    Ray - Jesters? I'm deffinatly there!! mmmmmm....... Still a place for me to crash and perhaps organize me as your official photographer and *media accreditation?

/// a t t
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Canberra in doubt?

EXCLUSIVE: One of Australia’s most heralded events, the Rally of Canberra, faces an uncertain future with the ACT Government currently in discussions with CAMS to try and break out of a contract to run the event, which doesn’t expire until the end of 2008.

The event currently forms part of the Australian Rally Championship and the Asia Pacific Rally Championship and brings hundreds of thousands of dollars into the ACT every year, but the Government want out.

Although they have agreed to support the event in 2007 – albeit with a smaller budget than in 2006 – the ACT Government are adamant that they won’t run the rally in 2008, and are currently negotiating the contract with CAMS.

RallySport Magazine sources with inside knowledge into the runnings of the event have confirmed that, at the present time, the event has no sponsors, and although the event will run in June, it will be a very low-key, low-budget affair.

This year will be the 20th running of the Rally of Canberra, which has had a number of naming rights sponsors in that time, including the Esanda and FAI finance companies, and Subaru.

“I think that the Australian rallying public need to put their support right behind this year’s event,” RallySport Magazine’s source said today.

“The event is in serious danger of becoming extinct and I urge all Australian rallying fans to contact the ACT Minister for Tourism, Andrew Barr, and push for the Government’s continuation of their support.”

As well as being a round of the ARC and the APRC, it has been rumoured that the event also has the chance of becoming a round of the new Intercontinental Rally Challenge in years to come. The IRC series is based around the all-new Super 2000 category.

RallySport Magazine urges everyone to send your message of support for the Rally of Canberra to the ACT Minister for Tourism at: andrew.barr@act.gov.au

It's been a rumour for quite a while now that the ACT government wants to break the contract. They did manage that with the V8 race. It seems that the June date will make an even bigger difference to the amount of spectators, another nail in the coffin.

Maybe we should turn NatCap into our premiere event and run it as a round of the ARC.

There is plenty happenign behind the scenes in Canberra just to get the use of our forests, we are losing stages each year due to areas being banned to rallying. We have already lost the catchment area for the Cotter, such stages as Wark's Rd and Bullock Paddock Rd are lost. Also my favourite Champagnes is lost as well.

We will just have to keep lobbying the government, or get them kicked out at the next election, I might even be a candidate "watch this space"

Ray

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'll be there driving on my L's if everything falls into place nicely
    Tristan Kent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    TKM, what will you be driving?
    RIP Malcolm ;( Hope you have an audi quattro up there.

He'll be in an Subaru RX turbo. Seeded way down the back near me

Ray