Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvick#1
    no, I would say in 15 laps, Gordon will be in the top 10. plate races do not matter where you qualify
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss Ghoul
    Much ado about nothing if you ask me.

An unintentional parts failure in a qualifying race. Any advantage is lost, since Gordon has to start at the rear, and since it's not clear there was any intent to cheat, a points penalty is out of place.

Really, 25 points wouldn't mean jack anyways...

One question, How would Nascar know (for sure) it wasn't intentionally installed to cause a parts failure to lower the car?
    Davey Allison #28

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This race is looking more and more like the strategy should be to place second so that after the post race inspections you can end up in first place.
    "For 80 years this place has run on tradition. From today forward it will run as a business." - Tony George (Failed businessman)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kelloggs5TLfan
    I agree.

One question, How would Nascar know (for sure) it wasn't intentionally installed to cause a parts failure to lower the car?
    you could not prove that it was. what are you proposing, a forensic psycholgical investigation?

and "This race is looking more and more like the strategy should be to place second so that after the post race inspections you can end up in first place" is likely the funniest thing i have heard all week. i bet this is the weekend that they would finally say enough is enough, and take away a win...
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blakebeatty
    you could not prove that it was. what are you proposing, a forensic psycholgical investigation?

and "This race is looking more and more like the strategy should be to place second so that after the post race inspections you can end up in first place" is likely the funniest thing i have heard all week. i bet this is the weekend that they would finally say enough is enough, and take away a win...
    Common curosity, is that ok??
    Davey Allison #28

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No, it's not. You can't create/enforce rules on that basis. Rules aren't written to require proof of intent because it's extremely difficult to prove intent, especially when the crews are smarter than the rules makers/enforcers.

Peter Olivola (polivola@sbcglobal.net)
    "Too dumb for opera
    too smart for NASCAR"

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Cool Thank God I'm on vacation

I have had a chance to sleep on it and think some more...

The car was low. Nascar deemed there was a need for a penalty for it being low, being sent to the back. Just like if there had been a violation of the one engine rule. To the back he goes. So maube there was no need for any further penalties.

Personally, I think points penalties when there are no points on the line to start with is ridiculous.

If there are no points to be gained (quals, exibition races, even in pre race inspection) then why take points?

Now, if the violations come in the main event (any of the 36 points races) there should be a fortiture of ALL the points gained in that race, the prize money, maybe a further monetary fine (depending on what the violation was) and maybe even suspensions.

I guess another thing that gets me is this question:
    Is a rule violation "cheating"?
    When there is a Holding penalty in a football game, is that cheating?
    Or is it just a violation of the rules where a correction can be made in the middle of the game and nothing happens afterward.

Food for thought, anyway....
    #4 2014 Sprint Cup Champion, 2007 Daytona 500,2003 Brickyard 400,2x Coke 600,2014 Southern 500 Champ: 962 starts,90 wins, 345 T5s, 544 T10s, 44 poles, 2x NNS champ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I just love the consistency of the penalties handed out by Nascar.

Kenseth and Kahne get 10 years in jail for jay walking.

Waltrip gets 20 years in jail for murder.

And Gordon gets 5 days in jail for knocking over a liquor store.
    I'm choosing Joey Logano as my avatar. I feel he is a worthy ally.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Olivola
    No, it's not. You can't create/enforce rules on that basis. Rules aren't written to require proof of intent because it's extremely difficult to prove intent, especially when the crews are smarter than the rules makers/enforcers.
    It's not ok to ask a question out of curosity. Got ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Olivola
    Rules aren't written to require proof of intent because it's extremely difficult to prove intent, especially when the crews are smarter than the rules makers/enforcers.
    That's why I ask the following question. Common curosity/ learning question. I don't remember anything about wanting to change/rewrite rules. LOL Have a good day.

I agree.

Davey Allison #28

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

re: How

It doesn't matter, the car was low so they are forced to enforce. Speed showed the cut away car and stated gordon's crew used a serated plated type mount that either came loose or was tightened wrong (grooves not aligned) and shock was moving up and down inside the mount. They don't know which but stated it came loose neverless causing the quarter panel to be lower in that corner. They went with moving to rear cause they don't know if someone crewmember did it by accident or on purpose. Either they had to do something.... We now return you to Bush quals.....
    CREWDAWG
    :burnout: Nascar Speed :burnout:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/crewdawg3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blakebeatty

First, they impound and throughly check the top several (top 5?) cars.
    Second, Nascar has a stated policy to NEVER take a win away. I think it was Bill France Jr who said something like "When fans leave the track having celebrated a racer's win, they win never get home to find someone else won." I don't expect that to ever change (they're too media savvy), just fines, points & suspensions to increase.

We've also seen unreasonably high fines for infractions, that could not have been intentional or offered a competitive advantage. Offhand I recall a few years ago a fully sponsored team showed up at Daytona with a set of belts too old to use (were legal up to previous Dec 31). Rusty Wallace's CC was fined a few years ago for fiberglass(?) instead of metal roof flaps. They were short a certain type of chassis, pulled an old one out, but it was the one they had worked with Nascar on the development of the roof flaps, then Nascar decided let's go with metal on those. Nobody tried to cheat, just somebody fail to check on everything.