Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Is there anywhere on the internet where you can watch these races? I'm very interested in the 1990-1991 seasons, '91 especially.

I'd love to see a full race at Phoenix particularly.

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tamburello
    In the pits at Phoenix, the car was assembled for the very first time, and a short private "practice" took place on a parking area of an American supermarket.
    I love this. Its stories like this that send shivers up my spine. The mentality that these people must have had. The almost sincerity of the whole affair.

Quote Originally Posted by tamburello
    On prequalification day of Phoenix the world saw Coloni's "new" model C3B which wore a white, red and green livery. Without an airbox but with wide, long sidepods, it looked like a tank, was overweight by 300 pounds and nearly impossible to handle. Neither at Phoenix nor at any other event, did Bertrand Gachot, Coloni's new driver, manage to prequalify the car.
    Without an airbox! Overweight by 300 pounds! That explains the 5min+ time that Gachot set at pre-quali for the 1990 Phoenix GP.

Thanks for that paragraph tamburello. A concise explanation of the team. What a disaster. Whats worth remembering is that Subaru did not have the top mark appeal that they do today, back in 1990. According to a rallying source (who exactly, I can't remember,) he/she made a comment along the lines of:

"Before the Legacy had hit the rally stages with such success in the early 90s, Subarus were seen as cars driven by farmers in hilly areas. The Impreza emphasized Subarus change of image further and more permanently."

When Subaru teamed up with Coloni, they certainly didn't have their level of prestige that came from their rallying years later.
    Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by woody2goody
    Is there anywhere on the internet where you can watch these races? I'm very interested in the 1990-1991 seasons, '91 especially.

There is a good few videos on Youtube. I know that the 1990 Phoenix race is available and had been uploaded by a member called "ImmortalSenna." 1991 though, I'm not sure.
    Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by woody2goody

Youtube is a decent bet, or you could try newsgroups or bittorrent

Being a childhood Ayrton Senna fan I have a few races from that era (mainly 1990 - 1993) on old VHS tapes recorded from the BBC at the time (including the iconic Senna vs. Mansell duel at Barcelona in '91, almost touching wheels at 180mph!) which I need to transfer to DVD sometime for posterity. Otherwise the Official FOCA reviews are a decent round up of these seasons though they are still only available on VHS. If you or anyone else are interested in old F1 races then please feel free to send me a private message.

PS. Your right, the Coloni Subaru was 1990, my bad!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Pre-qualifying IMO was F1's answer to football's relegation scrap - what it lacked in quality it made up for in pure drama and tension. And the people involved, if less talented and/or resourced, were trying just as hard as the guys at the front and added just as much spectacle as the front-runners for the true enthusiast. It's a shame those days are gone

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Cummins
    ...Without an airbox! ...
    Well, it didn't have a traditional airbox from what I recall. Instead, it had too vertical scoops, one on top of each side pod.
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti