Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts

No-one to race V8 Supercars in 2012

With the global financial crisis taking hold and GM and Ford being total basket cases, it has been announced by both of them that RWD platforms have both been cancelled:

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...rticleId=60193
    http://www.caradvice.com.au/20794/gm...-rwd-platform/

It follows that without either the Commodore or the Falcon in existance, then there won't be Commodores or Falcons to build V8 Supercars from.

What I'm wondering is that because Holden has had $149 thrown at it by the Australian Government to build a "four cylinder car" and Ford already announcing that they'll be building the Focus from 2011...
    what is the future of Touring Cars in Australia from 2012?

Since the carmakers basically dictate the class of racing that goes on, are they likely to adopt WTCC regs or something similar in principle to the CoT from NASCAR? Cause there certainly won't be any big sedans to build cars from.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sad news if that does happen. I love the V8's and I think there will be a lot of unhappy Aussie Motorsport fans if it ended. We can live in hope it doesn't happen as a lot can change in 3 years.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I guess, it could go in a similar way to the DTM with purpose built V8s that resemble the ordinary Non-V8 road cars that they will be building.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Yes, it would have to become a silhouette formula.

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    That's unfortunate. I wonder what all the hoons will drive now.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    firstly they will still build sedans of some description, so they can just shove the same V8 and RWD platform into them regardless of what configuration the production car runs. You can't by a 2ltr turbo AWD ford focus but thats what they have in the WRC for example.

Also even though GM won't build any NEW cars off the VE commodore platform, Holdens current plans, even despite the global economy, is to continue with the current VE commodore archetecture through till around 2016 just with a major platform revamp half way through, this news just means that GM won't be making any other cars off this same platform.

Additionally people need to get some perspective, the economy is bad, but it won't stay bad forever, the financial markets will recover and with it car sales globally will again increase and "niche" markets such as rear drive performance sedans may well come back into favour. Some people will have you think the current economic situation is the end of the world as we know it but it just isn't, times are tough but they will eventually rebound.

Certainly though quite apart from all of this its import for V8 Supercar authorities to create a series that is viable to continue under the harshest possible circumstances, they cannot rely on Holden and Ford's support forever, they need to make a series that is more attractive to more manufacturers so that if one or two drop out, there is still a viable series.

My suggestion is turbo diesel V8's, they would still be V8 supercar, but by utilising diesel technology the series would become a much more attractive proposition for the likes of Audi and other european and japanese manufacturers. This is crucial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This move might give Australian touring car racing the overhaul it sorely needs!

I'm all for RWD V8s being a part of the mix, but banishing other makes and types of cars from competing has gone on for far too long

It will be a very sad day when no more RWD V8 production cars are produced in Australia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    other manufacturers where never "banished" from competeing, the rules where open to any locally produced large sedan, toyota and mitsubishi who are the only other manufacturers who build cars in Australia had always just decided not to compete. Two years ago the rules where loosened up even further allowing non-Australian made cars to compete as well.

Probably should ensure you know what your talking about before posting... Also racer69, V8 supercars is one of the only forms of motorsport GLOBALLY who is continueing to grow through these tough economic times with more manufacturers and more sponsors coming in this season, and not one team has closed its doors or downsized. Really, V8 Supercars would have to rank as one of the strongest forms of motorsport from a comercial perspective anywhere in the world, so i reject your notion of it needing an overhaul

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RJL25
    firstly they will still build sedans of some description, so they can just shove the same V8 and RWD platform into them regardless of what configuration the production car runs. You can't by a 2ltr turbo AWD ford focus but thats what they have in the WRC for example.

Also even though GM won't build any NEW cars off the VE commodore platform, Holdens current plans, even despite the global economy, is to continue with the current VE commodore archetecture through till around 2016 just with a major platform revamp half way through, this news just means that GM won't be making any other cars off this same platform.

Additionally people need to get some perspective, the economy is bad, but it won't stay bad forever, the financial markets will recover and with it car sales globally will again increase and "niche" markets such as rear drive performance sedans may well come back into favour. Some people will have you think the current economic situation is the end of the world as we know it but it just isn't, times are tough but they will eventually rebound.

Certainly though quite apart from all of this its import for V8 Supercar authorities to create a series that is viable to continue under the harshest possible circumstances, they cannot rely on Holden and Ford's support forever, they need to make a series that is more attractive to more manufacturers so that if one or two drop out, there is still a viable series.

My suggestion is turbo diesel V8's, they would still be V8 supercar, but by utilising diesel technology the series would become a much more attractive proposition for the likes of Audi and other european and japanese manufacturers. This is crucial
    The thing is, Toyota wanted to build a V8 Supercar several years ago, but were knocked back because they didn't build a 5.0L pushrod V8 model.

However that rule was quietly dropped when Holden and Ford no longer produced one.

The point is that V8 Supercars rely on Holden vs. Ford and have it that way because it is a successful formula and so they have no intention to let other manufacturers in... not that I agree with it.

What they should do, IMO, is allow any car to compete under a single formula, but make the manufacturer build the race car in Australia. This supports the local motorsport industry as well as adding variety to the series.

However I think the NASCAR-type control chassis will be introduced, which will be a shame.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    S2000 but with a V8 engine maybe?
    Please ignore ALL of the above....