Page 51 of 241 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,389 Times in 447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janvanvurpa
    Really?
    Is there someplace to compare "winner's average km/hr " in the last few years?

Something to put real numbers to the idea?
    http://www.juwra.com/stats_event_average_speeds.html

Something like that, perhaps? Of course it'd be better to compare same rally on different years and also take in consideration what kind of changes were done route. For example, Hirvonen's NORF winning average speed this year was 121 km/h where as Loeb's from last year was 117 km/h. Last year it was much discussed how the route went to smaller roads which didn't suite Mikko as well as they did Seb.

On eWRC results you see average speeds from every stage.
    Photos: rallirinki.kuvat.fi | Twitter: @HartusvuoriWRC

Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
    [quote="janvanvurpa"]Really?
    Is there someplace to compare "winner's average km/hr " in the last few years?

Something to put real numbers to the idea?

This year's Rally Catalunya is exactly the same as last year.
    So, if it is dry again, you can get some numbers.

Liked 1,252 Times in 681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gloomyDAY
    I remember you posted that idea. The counterarguments, well....

You'd think that the forum-ers were in Olivier's or Malcolm's wallet.

Excellent observation.

Two teams just keep choking the competition.
    Mmm, and the sooner this ends the better! It's supposed to be the WRC, not the Ford/Citroen Rally Championship.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's nothing we haven't already heard elsewhere, but here's the news about Petter on wrc.com http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk...%20this%20year

Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts
    Now that we know for sure that Petter Solberg isn't going to drive a car nominated for Manufacturer points, then it's a little more difficult to see the benefit for Ford and Citroën, apart from it being good commercially.

Even though that Hirvonen looks stronger than Loeb in GB and vice versa for Spain, then I don't see PS being able to beat anyone of them in those two rallies.
    Supporting Ogier in the WRC & Ferrari in F1 & Ducati in MotoGP.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MikeD
    Even though that Hirvonen looks stronger than Loeb in GB and vice versa for Spain, then I don't see PS being able to beat anyone of them in those two rallies.
    Total agree!Hirvonen and Loeb are in great situation and won't let easy anyone get between them...
    ..speed with no limits..
    fan of Kimi Raikkonen and Mikko Hirvonen:champion:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeD
    I don't see PS being able to beat anyone of them in those two rallies.
    Im not so sure. Solberg has a great record in Wales, he is known to love that rally, and I think he could possibly cause an upset in the right car.

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartusvuori
    http://www.juwra.com/stats_event_average_speeds.html

Something like that, perhaps? Of course it'd be better to compare same rally on different years and also take in consideration what kind of changes were done route. For example, Hirvonen's NORF winning average speed this year was 121 km/h where as Loeb's from last year was 117 km/h. Last year it was much discussed how the route went to smaller roads which didn't suite Mikko as well as they did Seb.

On eWRC results you see average speeds from every stage.
    You got the idea.
    Comparing stage by stage is too difficult if there are big differences but what I'm thinking is how waaaaaaaaaaaaay back when GpB was going full blast many of my friends here in the Rally Third World were astonsihed at how fast the cars were and EVERYBODY started saying "they're TOO FAST".

Later in the early 90s I have a Swedish magazine that had a 1000 Lakes preview and it had the winner and his average km/hr from 1980 thru 1992 and it was interesting to see that the GpB cars averaging only about a max of 5 km/hr faster compare to the nice old Gp4 cars.

I did some math for overall average in the late 90s/early 00ies and it seems once everybody had their syquential boxes working and got used to 34mm restrictor, average speeds came up another 3 to 5 km/hr compared to early 90s GpA 40 or 38mm restrictor cars.

Now people always say "It's SOOOOOOOOOO much faster!!!" and so I want to have an idea compared to what I know in the past.

Then we can try and find what they're doing
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alexlake
    Im not so sure. Solberg has a great record in Wales, he is known to love that rally, and I think he could possibly cause an upset in the right car.
    I agree. Solberg seems to try that little bit harder in Wales.
    Maybe its because its typically the last round of the season, or there is large Subaru following in the area or maybe its because of his co-driver Phils home country, but he does seem to try harder.

If Petter gets an up to date car and assuming he has a clean run, Id tip him for a win.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hirvonen en Loeb have to take the points in mind, and drive a bit carefuller Solberg only wants the win and can drive 110 %. If he gets a decent (2008) car, he is my favortie to win.
    R.I.P. all WRC heroes