Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1974 Carolina 500 [450?]

I was just watching an old "Car and Track" TV episode of coverage from the 1974 Carolina 500 race at North Carolina Motor Speedway. Due to the gas crisis during that time, they shortened the race 50 miles to 450 miles. The narrator of the program Bud Lindemann said that the first 50 miles would not be scored and that scoring will start on lap 50.

Did I hear this right? They shortened the race to save fuel but ran the first 50 laps [unscored] anyway?

Mike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blownb310
    I was just watching an old "Car and Track" TV episode of coverage from the 1974 Carolina 500 race at North Carolina Motor Speedway. Due to the gas crisis during that time, they shortened the race 50 miles to 450 miles. The narrator of the program Bud Lindemann said that the first 50 miles would not be scored and that scoring will start on lap 50.

Did I hear this right? They shortened the race to save fuel but ran the first 50 laps [unscored] anyway?

Mike
    What he probably said was that "scoring will start with lap 50". I attended NASCAR races in 1974 and they ran the races shorter, for example the 500 mile races were only 450 miles long.
    DVR . . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hmm - how to make a long race shorter - AHA !!!! Start it further in than lap 1. Brilliant - no one will notice that as everyone in the crowd is made to drink gallons of beer before being allowed in. They will all think they had slept through the first 50 laps.

Perhaps this can be adapted to other sports too that need shortening - football and other pitch and court sports starting 20 minutes in.

Snooker with only three reds.

Marathons starting at 17 miles. Should make it easier.

And what about black jack when you get a free 10 every time - saves waiting so long to hit 21.

Perfect solution.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by colinspooky
    Hmm - how to make a long race shorter - AHA !!!! Start it further in than lap 1. Brilliant - no one will notice that as everyone in the crowd is made to drink gallons of beer before being allowed in. They will all think they had slept through the first 50 laps.

Perhaps this can be adapted to other sports too that need shortening - football and other pitch and court sports starting 20 minutes in.

Snooker with only three reds.

Marathons starting at 17 miles. Should make it easier.

And what about black jack when you get a free 10 every time - saves waiting so long to hit 21.

Perfect solution.

That would get rid of one of the three halfs in Hockey!

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Three halfs Jonesi? Unlike some forgettable bowl games I have watched this holiday, a good hockey game isn't long enough with 3 20 minute periods.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".