Thread: Indycar Opener

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Indycar Opener

Hello everyone (anyone?), this is my first time on (any) forum, so I don't really know the best way to hopefully get an answer to what I want, but here goes. I am visiting Florida for a holiday in March,(we are from the UK), and hope to take in the St. Petersburg Indycar opener. I've been trying to find out about tickets and keep getting routed to Ticketmaster.com, which is fine, but what I would really appreciate is some advice on viewing at this race circuit. We are probably only going to be able to go on the Sunday, although Saturday afternoon may be possible. General admission and reserved seating for Sunday only, do not go on sale until March 1st, but I don't really want to leave it that late to book, so my best choice seems purchasing a 3 day reserved seating pass which if booked before wed 31st Dec. also gets you a free 1 day paddock pass. However the only seats offered are for block 3, above the pitlane. Sorry if I am going on a bit, but basically, can anyone give me any advice on the best viewing/ticket option. I would prefer to be in the grandstand between turns 1 and 2 but don't know of anyway to buy these tickets, unless of course they are already sold out. Thanks for any advice.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by f1 john
    Hello everyone (anyone?), this is my first time on (any) forum, so I don't really know the best way to hopefully get an answer to what I want, but here goes. I am visiting Florida for a holiday in March,(we are from the UK), and hope to take in the St. Petersburg Indycar opener. I've been trying to find out about tickets and keep getting routed to Ticketmaster.com, which is fine, but what I would really appreciate is some advice on viewing at this race circuit. We are probably only going to be able to go on the Sunday, although Saturday afternoon may be possible. General admission and reserved seating for Sunday only, do not go on sale until March 1st, but I don't really want to leave it that late to book, so my best choice seems purchasing a 3 day reserved seating pass which if booked before wed 31st Dec. also gets you a free 1 day paddock pass. However the only seats offered are for block 3, above the pitlane. Sorry if I am going on a bit, but basically, can anyone give me any advice on the best viewing/ticket option. I would prefer to be in the grandstand between turns 1 and 2 but don't know of anyway to buy these tickets, unless of course they are already sold out. Thanks for any advice.
    I recommend just going the General Admission route. That's what I plan on doing this year. Last year I sat above the pitlane and while it was neat being so close to the pits, I much preferred just walking around and seeing all the different parts of the track. It's not that big of a track so its easy to get to each viewing point. And even if you don't like walking there are nice shaded/grassy areas to sit and relax.

There is a good possibility that the seats you were looking at are already sold out. I know a lot of the grandstands are very popular and probably go quickly.

I'm not too familiar with the differences between the ticket options. I've only bought the 3-day package. So I don't think I can really help there. ALMS is fun though so I recommend trying to make it on Saturday if you can.

Hope this helps!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for the advice. I wasn't too sure if you were free to access much of the circuit on a general admission ticket. Ill probably go for that. Do you think the paddock transfer is worth pre purchasing or is it likely to be available for the same price on the day? Can you actually get near any of the teams unlike F1?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for the advice. I wasn't too sure if you were free to access much of the circuit on a general admission ticket. Ill probably go for that. Do you think the paddock transfer is worth pre purchasing or is it likely to be available for the same price on the day? Can you actually get near any of the teams unlike F1?
    I havent been to any IRL races, but I believe you can pretty much walk right up to the trailers and check out the work they are doing. I'm not sure if it is as liberal as CCWS was, but I know it's way more liberal then F1.
    The Other Side - "2011 Silly Season Update" Dec 17/2010
    Bookmark Us!

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    f1 john, I will just say you will find North American racing culturally a little more relaxed. The General Admission ticket likely will not be too bad an idea. The relaxed paddocks and access to the drivers is a lot more open than in Europe from what I have been told by a few British fans I know who have been to the race in Toronto.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Grandstand 10

For my money, the best seats are high in Grandstand 10. Those were sold out last year, and renewals offers have been sent to last year's ticket holders.

The renewal deadline is 12/31. Seats not renewed will be made available to the general public on 1/2. Try calling the ticket office at 727-898-4639 then.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Save your money, go to Sebring instead. Only a few hours (at most) drive away and a whole different world. You've never had a true race experience until you've been to Sebring.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    They open the paddock after the race to everybody so its not really necessary but it might be more interesting before the race? And yes you can get very close and personal to the teams. I stood just a few inches from the cars while they worked on them.