Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Henri Toivonen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    I definitely agree. Always nice to hear things first hand
    Thanks guys. It's difficult to just sit here and reminisce on my keyboard though.....

I'll try to post a few other Henri items here.Like his 1983 licence:

Fred

Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
    Agreed, it's a pleasure to have you here Fred, you must have a heck of a lot of stories and memorabilia.

Just going off topic, did you know you were also mentioned on Steve Wrights afternoon show on Radio 2 last week, which was being hosted by Mark Radcliffe, in a rather dubious feature called 'Fred or Dead' in which people named Fred were read out and the host had to decide whether they were Fred (alive) or dead. I'm pleased to say they got you right...

Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts

Henri

Nice to see your contribution to the thread Fred,why I try to give some information is because some of the guys on this site will only be in their early 20s and were too young to know or have met some of these great drivers,who we have had the good fortune to have worked with

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    I definitely agree. Always nice to hear things first hand
    I'd like to second (third?) that.

Liked 16,102 Times in 6,990 Posts
    I d like also to hear some unknown stories from you Fred!
    tell us some stories about the Talbot years.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimviii
    I d like also to hear some unknown stories from you Fred!
    tell us some stories about the Talbot years.
    And from the Triumph years if possible!

Henri P Toivonen

I think it was Paul White that was with Henri in 1980 in the Talbot days .,but if it was you Fred then Correct me.
    Henri was doing a French event in the late part of 1980,and was catching up his team mate Guy Frequelin up in leaps and bounds,when it started to rain which Henri loved.He got very close to passing Guy but was told in no uncertain terms that it was a French event,and that a French car had to win with a French driver.Henri pleaded with Des to let him pass Guy ,but was told if he did not abide by team orders there would be NO CAR for him for the 1980 RAC.At the start of the last stage Henri sat after the 54321 GO for over 20 seconds even being told by all to GO.Henri lost to Frequelin by a mere 4 or 5 seconds ,but was so disgusted he flew straight back to Espoo.He refused to do the next rally,and said to Des O,Dell if YOU want ME to do the RAC you had better come here to Finland to see me.Des flew to Finland and pleaded with Henri to come to the UK to do the RAC and promised him any mortal thing he wanted.He told him that he was the priority driver,and anything he wanted doing would be done.And he became the youngest ever driver to win a world championship event !

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by driveace
    I think it was Paul White that was with Henri in 1980 in the Talbot days .,but if it was you Fred then Correct me.
    Henri was doing a French event in the late part of 1980,and was catching up his team mate Guy Frequelin up in leaps and bounds,when it started to rain which Henri loved.He got very close to passing Guy but was told in no uncertain terms that it was a French event,and that a French car had to win with a French driver.Henri pleaded with Des to let him pass Guy ,but was told if he did not abide by team orders there would be NO CAR for him for the 1980 RAC.At the start of the last stage Henri sat after the 54321 GO for over 20 seconds even being told by all to GO.Henri lost to Frequelin by a mere 4 or 5 seconds ,but was so disgusted he flew straight back to Espoo.He refused to do the next rally,and said to Des O,Dell if YOU want ME to do the RAC you had better come here to Finland to see me.Des flew to Finland and pleaded with Henri to come to the UK to do the RAC and promised him any mortal thing he wanted.He told him that he was the priority driver,and anything he wanted doing would be done.And he became the youngest ever driver to win a world championship event !

I was with Henri from 1981 to 1983. I think Paul White only did the 1980 RAC, previously Henri was co-driven by Antero Lindqvist.

I cannot recall Henri ever talking about the situation you mention and indeed cannot recall Guy ever winning a French event in a Talbot. I think Henri's Talbot outings outside the WRC were all in Finland or the UK.

It could have been Sanremo 1980 when Henri finished around a minute behind Guy. I must say I doubt the bit about him refusing to do the next event - it wasn't as if at that point the world was queuing up to sign him.

Fred

Henri

Fred I am currently wintering in Spain,and do not get home untill the 1st of April.BUT fortunatley I have the Autosport report of that FRENCH rally,which it was reported in .I thought San Remo was an Italian event,and Henri deffinatly said a French event,but I will get the book out,soon as i return home

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by driveace
    Fred I am currently wintering in Spain,and do not get home untill the 1st of April.BUT fortunatley I have the Autosport report of that FRENCH rally,which it was reported in .I thought San Remo was an Italian event,and Henri deffinatly said a French event,but I will get the book out,soon as i return home
    Just checked a few sources. It was Sanremo 1980. Henri had driven a rather scrappy event seemingly and Guy was ahead until mechanical problems near the end. Henri passed him and was then asked to slow by Des. Quite what went on afterwards is open to conjecture. The result seems to have been Talbot withdrew his Corsica entry and fired Lindqvist. Co-driver's fault as usual!

Fred