Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts

Schumi: Where for art thou?

James Allen alluded to something on the weekend that has been nagging at me since about the half-way point of the season. And that is what could Michael Schumacher do with a car as good as the F2008?

Allen suggested that some where saying that the only reason Hamilton is even in the title hunt is because the Ferrari drivers have singularly failed to deliver the goods. I think there's some truth to this theory.

We all know how crappy a season Raikkonen's had. He's lost 16 points that I can think of through chucking the car at the scenery or another car. Spa - lost 8 points spinning out of 2nd. Singapore - lost 4 points running by hitting the wall while running 5th and Monaco - lost 4 points by ramming Sutil while running 5th. Can anybody see Schumi doing that? Those points would have clinched the WCC already and seen him still in contention for the WDC.

Massa hasn't lost as many points, just 8 (from memory) from throwing it off the road in Malaysia but those 8 points would see us with 1 point ball game with 1 race to play. Throw in a truly awful performance at Silverstone and you have the makings of a championship lost.

I have the feeling that even a 2006 vintage Schumi would have put Hamilton away this year. The F2008 is the better car and Schumi would have put it to great use. Even if you account for the mechanical troubles Ferrari have had I still think Schumi's leadership and ability to extract every point that the F2008 has in it would have seen the WDC over with 2 races to spare.

Not that Hamilton doesn't deserve the title. He's a truly gifted driver and is thoroughly deserving of his impending title but as a Ferrari fan this season has made me appreciate how much Michael Schumacher brought to the table every other Sunday.
    Forza Ferrari!!

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
    James Allen alluded to something on the weekend that has been nagging at me since about the half-way point of the season. And that is what could Michael Schumacher do with a car as good as the F2008?

Allen suggested that some where saying that the only reason Hamilton is even in the title hunt is because the Ferrari drivers have singularly failed to deliver the goods. I think there's some truth to this theory.

We all know how crappy a season Raikkonen's had. He's lost 16 points that I can think of through chucking the car at the scenery or another car. Spa - lost 8 points spinning out of 2nd. Singapore - lost 4 points running by hitting the wall while running 5th and Monaco - lost 4 points by ramming Sutil while running 5th. Can anybody see Schumi doing that? Those points would have clinched the WCC already and seen him still in contention for the WDC.

Massa hasn't lost as many points, just 8 (from memory) from throwing it off the road in Malaysia but those 8 points would see us with 1 point ball game with 1 race to play. Throw in a truly awful performance at Silverstone and you have the makings of a championship lost.

I have the feeling that even a 2006 vintage Schumi would have put Hamilton away this year. The F2008 is the better car and Schumi would have put it to great use. Even if you account for the mechanical troubles Ferrari have had I still think Schumi's leadership and ability to extract every point that the F2008 has in it would have seen the WDC over with 2 races to spare.

Not that Hamilton doesn't deserve the title. He's a truly gifted driver and is thoroughly deserving of his impending title but as a Ferrari fan this season has made me appreciate how much Michael Schumacher brought to the table every other Sunday.

If his old team, on the wall and in the pits and back at the factory, all and complete were running the show, instead of drivng down the pit lane with your hose flopping around, I think that the battle for the WDC might well be between Massa and Kimi

The same for last year.

Add in MS, and there is no question.

BUT MS only added into this year's team as it is currently made up? The result would still be...... pinhead:
    Only the dead know the end of war. Plato:beer:

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Ramming Sutil was a freak incident IMO. The car squirreled under breaking and I doubt that there was intent.

As for Schumi he would have done well but I'm not sure he'd have wrapped the title up like some think. When Hamilton has won the McLaren has usually been fairly dominant. The other question that you have to ask is how well Schumi would operate without Ross Brawn? I know that MS was an amzingly clever driver but without a decent crew chief he won't fulfil potential.

Also with Schumi in for Kimi then Lewis wouldn't have hit anyone at Canada :
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    I have the feeling that even a 2006 vintage Schumi would have put Hamilton away this year.
    Don't forget about Monaco 2006. When push comes to shove Schumi will resort to some malicious tactic though I think at the very least it would've been Mansell vs. Senna all over again playing chicken into a corner to see who would lift and concede.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hindsight is a beautiful things!

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Let me get this straight:You listen to James Allen?
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

I was thinking that Alonso of 2006 vintage could also win the championship in this years F2008. Both MS and FA were pretty flawless that year.

Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AJP
    Hindsight is a beautiful things!
    It's not really hindsight, though I guess it has played a part. It's more a feeling of frustration at Raikkonen in particular for a litany of errors and lacklustre performances that brought to the fore just how much Ferrari were spolied by Schumacher's talent, leadership and committment.

Quote Originally Posted by Valve Bounce
    Let me get this straight:You listen to James Allen?
    I try not to!

His comment that "some" in the pitlane felt the Ferrari drivers weren't getting the best out of the car just echoed my own feelings. I doubt Allen personally feels that way due to his man-crush on Hamilton.

Quote Originally Posted by theugsquirrel
    I was thinking that Alonso of 2006 vintage could also win the championship in this years F2008. Both MS and FA were pretty flawless that year.
    Yeah, I hadn't considered Alonso but his driving this year has been very good, even when the Renault sucked at the start of the year. I'm sure Hamilton is grateful that he hasn't had to fight Alonso in a Ferrari this year. Then again, considering Hamilton's, shall we say "confidence", maybe not.
    Forza Ferrari!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Every time they show Schumacher at races, he always looks so eager to be in the field.

I throw this question out there: If just for a year would you sign him, keeping in mind he'll be 40 this January?

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

James Allen

I try not to!

His comment that "some" in the pitlane felt the Ferrari drivers weren't getting the best out of the car just echoed my own feelings. I doubt Allen personally feels that way due to his man-crush on Hamilton.
    Before the last two races, word was that the Ferrari's tyres did not perform that well when the temperatures were not high. Under the circumstances, I don't think it fair for James Allen to opine that "some in pitlane felt the Ferrari drivers weren't getting the best out of the cars", whatever that means.
    I have more faith in what Martin says as he not only knows from personal experience, he keeps in touch with developments in F1.

I have always felt that James Allen's job is to make a lot of noise with his commentary so that there wouldn't be stunned silence from the commentary box. That means he has to make up stories as the race progresses just to give Martin a break and/or to catch his breath. I think James Allen's "Xylophone effect explanation" when cars come closer together on the slower corners is exactly what I mean. Fortunately, Martin corrected that was the "concertina effect".

I think the Ferrari drivers were trying as hard as possible in the past two races but were just not up to winning the two races. Now the belief is that Ferrari and especially Massa goes extremely well as history as shown in Brazil. Well, if the Ferraris are both faster than Lewis, then he should just follow them home and not resort to something stupid.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout