Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Abu Dhabi GP / street circuit confirmed from 09

Sounds like the circuit/GP will be quite Monte-Carlo-esque...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56583
    Abu Dhabi GP seven-year deal confirmed

By Steve Cooper and Biranit Goren Saturday, February 3rd 2007, 10:24 GMT

Abu Dhabi will host a Grand Prix from 2009 in what seems to be the most luxurious venue on the Grand Prix calendar.

Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone confirmed today, in a ceremony held at Abu Dhabi, a seven-year deal between Formula One Management and the country's board of tourism.

"We're very committed to Abu Dhabi," Ecclestone told reporters at the ceremony, "It's one of the great places in the world. We have a seven-year contract, but I'm sure the race will go on forever."

The race will be held on Yas Island, a lavish man-made Island that occupies a total land area of 2,500 hectares (around 6,200 acres).

Promising to become a unique tourist destination, Yas Island will be the home of the Ferrari theme park, which is currently under construction, and will hold business facilities, hotels, apartments, marinas and a golf resort.

The Formula One track, designed by Hermann Tilke, will be 5.8 kilometres long, featuring the designer's signature long straight leading into a slow hairpin.

"It was initially a flat man-made island, but we've created some man-made hills, so the track will rise up and down," Tilke said.

"One part of the track is a permanent facility, and the other is 2.5-km city track through the streets [of Yas], and running in front of the marina."

Ecclestone himself was certain this Track will be Tilke's best yet.

"The Tilke group has learnt its lessons from the tracks it built in the past and put all those lessons in to this track," Ecclestone stated.

"We consider it will offer the best F1 racing in the world."
    2006 GO!
    > Scott Speed
    > Red Bull Racing
    > Scuderia Toro Rosso
    > Sebastian Vettel

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Giuseppe F1

"The Tilke group has learnt its lessons from the tracks it built in the past and put all those lessons in to this track," Ecclestone stated.

It will have a flow and not look like a parking lot???

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Tilke scares me....there is no link yet to the layout??
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Red face

Personally i'm not impressed, i mean, 2009? That's bloody ridiculous, when we have the 2007 championship layed out in front of us and 08 even before it. Also, we don't need another flaming street circuit! I mean, we have monaco, let's leave it at that, there is never alot of over taking or excitment, it was the same with the idea of a london grand prix, street circuit....guys- concentrate on modern circuits with a wide circuit so drivers can ACTULY OVERTAKE, i don't watch F1 to see cars just going round a glitzy, glamarous place, i watch to see them race hard and overtake.
    http://www.abudhabigp.com/english/the_circuit.aspx link to officialy track site with track map and vid.
    100% out and out Ferrari fan.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Not a bad layout for a street circuit, looks nice and there are at least 3 overtaking opportunities (aero regulation changes could give us many more but until that happens...).
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    The circuit doesn't look too bad. Hopefully, there will be a couple of overtaking spots, and it won't be too narrow. It will be a picturesque location, but as has been said, Monaco already fulfills that role.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    ASIA POWER!! In 2010 we have at least seven races in Asia (JPN, KOR, CHN, TUR, BAH, UAE, MAL). Looking forward to see more Asian drivers joining F1 sooner or later. :

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Nice at least to have a new track that isn't just plonked down in the middle of nowhere.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brockman
    Nice at least to have a new track that isn't just plonked down in the middle of nowhere.

Agreed, at least he's learnt something.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brockman

Yes indeed and how about that fanbase!
    Won't you re-up for the greatest moral cause since Sodom and Gomorrah?