Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Member The instant classic's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by -Helix-
    Yep, 24 cars confirmed for it so far. It'll be a non-points event obviously.

Don't really see the point in going halfway around the world to be a support series myself, but whatever. They wouldn't be going if it wasn't going to be beneficial to the series.
    wow thx,

i think, the race will be great, cuz the drivers got nothing to lose, the points are finshs,, i wolud use this race like how nascar has the allstar race,,use it as, try new things, and the drivers can have more fun and not worry about points,,

its going to be wierd to see, if fans show up, for a non-points race?
    i think the IRL is going to use this race more as,,lets see how many fans do come out,, to watch this race,,and see if we sholud add this race to the series,
    Thats The Way Of The Road.Thats The Way She Goes.Sometimes She Goes Sometimes She Doesn't Go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by -Helix-
    You're probably on to something about the whole sponsorship/merger thing, but it's not really relevant.

If Cochrane/Australia rejects the offered dates, that's their problem. As an American IndyCar fan, I couldn't care less if the race is the same weekend as the Australian Football finals. The IRL obviously doesn't care either. If they want us there, they'll figure out a way to make it work. But it's up to them, it's not the IRL's concern what other Australian sports events are going on or how the Australian tourism industry is doing.

There are obvious openings on next year's schedule for the possible addition of Surfer's and the IRL offered those available dates. They're on the table, and the ball is in Cochrane's court.

The IRL doesn't care about Australia's tourism industry or old CART/Champ Car dates as they shouldn't. If Australia wants IndyCars, they'll accept one of the offered dates. If they don't, no big loss. Less travel for another street race which we have way too many of anyway. IndyCar is an AMERICAN series that doesn't need Australia, so why bend to their will? IndyCar doesn't owe Cochrane anything.

I'm indifferent on whether or not we run in Australia, and I think this is a good test of faith to see if it's even worth all the travel/time. If Cochrane is willing to accept one of the offered dates, great. If not, great.

It basically comes down to who they can replace IndyCar with. A1GP would be the likely choice. But which is more appealing to Australian race fans? Dixon, Briscoe, and Power driving in the series that runs one of the most famous races in the world, or whoever they decide to stick in Team Australia's A1GP ride? I guess that's for Cochrane to decide.

And comparing the date for the Gold Coast Indy to that of Long Beach or Indy? Please. I know you're a former Champ Car fan, but c'mon...
    This comes down to whether or not the ICS sees the Gold Coast Race as strategic in their plans or not. If they do then your message is ridiculous. What you are saying is tantamount to going to the Long Beach promoter and telling them that the race is to be run on the same day as the Super Bowl.

And yes like it or not the Gold Coast race very much is comparable to Long Beach or the 500 in terms of attendance, viewers and prestige IN THAT MARKET. So again it comes down to one thing, is that market strategically important to the ICS. If it was not, then pray tell why is it even on this year's schedule and a push being made to try to get it on next year's? If the ICS didn't think it any more important than you obviously do, they would have to Cochrane to go pound sand a long time ago.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The IRL fan
    its going to be wierd to see, if fans show up, for a non-points race?,
    Most of the fans will not care about points. This is an opportunity for them to vacation near the beach in the spring while having a party and watching their favorite racing series V8's.

Over time V8's grew in popularity while CART/CCWS took a lesser role each year. The event always carried the "INDY" name with the open wheel cars running on Sunday. The V8's gathered more and more bargaining clout while AOWR lost clout. You could see it in the cooperation from track staff and the facilities/services provided.

This event is one of the top 5 in Australia for size of crowd and economic impact. The world media coverage is far beyond what we see at any other event outside of Indy 500. The IRL brass hopefully sees the value of the world coverage and recognistion received.

By the way, teams can walk to the track along the beach with clean sea air. After work, the fun time begins with unlimited options and great beer, fresh sea food, dinner cruises, and the ladies....OMG. So don't feel sorry for the lads that get to go. They will bring back some stories to share. The only thing that sucks is the long plane ride.

Senior Member The instant classic's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dataman1
    Most of the fans will not care about points. This is an opportunity for them to vacation near the beach in the spring while having a party and watching their favorite racing series V8's.

Over time V8's grew in popularity while CART/CCWS took a lesser role each year. The event always carried the "INDY" name with the open wheel cars running on Sunday. The V8's gathered more and more bargaining clout while AOWR lost clout. You could see it in the cooperation from track staff and the facilities/services provided.

This event is one of the top 5 in Australia for size of crowd and economic impact. The world media coverage is far beyond what we see at any other event outside of Indy 500. The IRL brass hopefully sees the value of the world coverage and recognistion received.

By the way, teams can walk to the track along the beach with clean sea air. After work, the fun time begins with unlimited options and great beer, fresh sea food, dinner cruises, and the ladies....OMG. So don't feel sorry for the lads that get to go. They will bring back some stories to share. The only thing that sucks is the long plane ride.
    i got a feeling we will see one wild race for sure,

it will be kind of funny to see if fans bring champcar sings to the track, over an IRL sign,, im really into this race,, i want to see how the fans act having the indycar guys come to the champcar track,,im really looking for the fan re-acting on this,, it sholud be fun!

well having the race in australia is great cuz girls from australia are hot, same with french girls

i have never seen this race,,they never carryed the race where i live,,for champcar races i only got like 7 races ayear on tv,,so seeing a new track for me its always great,the last race i was at, it was Watkins Glen this year,,and i dont have any storys to tell cuz i dont cheat on my gf but i saw some guys,,it sure look like they enjoy themselfs
    Thats The Way Of The Road.Thats The Way She Goes.Sometimes She Goes Sometimes She Doesn't Go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    This comes down to whether or not the ICS sees the Gold Coast Race as strategic in their plans or not. If they do then your message is ridiculous. What you are saying is tantamount to going to the Long Beach promoter and telling them that the race is to be run on the same day as the Super Bowl.

And yes like it or not the Gold Coast race very much is comparable to Long Beach or the 500 in terms of attendance, viewers and prestige IN THAT MARKET. So again it comes down to one thing, is that market strategically important to the ICS. If it was not, then pray tell why is it even on this year's schedule and a push being made to try to get it on next year's? If the ICS didn't think it any more important than you obviously do, they would have to Cochrane to go pound sand a long time ago.

Gary
    Obviously Gary, many of us know the October weekend date for Surfer's is very strategic in terms of global business support, fan attraction and TV coverage. Unfortunately I believe we're seeing a return to more of the IRL's tunnel vision perspective. How they can justify Homestead as being more valuable than Surfer's on an international business scale is ridiculous.

If the ICS wants to compete in an international marketplace, attract international drivers, and most importantly, become an entertainment platform for INTERNATIONAL BRANDS & SPONSORS, (many headquartered in the USA), they should stop acting like ostriches by burying their head in the sand.

Australia has long been recognized for its sporting passion, I just hope when the ICS shows up there later this year, they'll realize the impact of their ignorance.
    LBGP: The Sound - The Spectacle. Racin' at its finest.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pits4me
    Obviously Gary, many of us know the October weekend date for Surfer's is very strategic in terms of global business support, fan attraction and TV coverage. Unfortunately I believe we're seeing a return to more of the IRL's tunnel vision perspective. How they can justify Homestead as being more valuable than Surfer's on an international business scale is ridiculous.

If the ICS wants to compete in an international marketplace, attract international drivers, and most importantly, become an entertainment platform for INTERNATIONAL BRANDS & SPONSORS, (many headquartered in the USA), they should stop acting like ostriches by burying their head in the sand.

Australia has long been recognized for its sporting passion, I just hope when the ICS shows up there later this year, they'll realize the impact of their ignorance.

I think the ICS has already tipped their hand that they think the Gold Coast is strategic to their (ICS) interests. Why else would they plan to go there in October, announce that 24 cars are already lined up for the trip and say they were trying to arrange a date for next year? If it was not important to ICS, they would never have agreed to go there this year.

But I also think the October date for next year is a non-starter because of other contractual agreements that ICS has and that whatever date is chosen it MUST allow for a concurrent travel arrangement with Montegi. The Gold Coast folks need to wake up to THAT realization, if THEY truly want to be part of the ICS schedule.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Maybe MarkC's rumor of another Asian country's interest in a race fits in there somewhere? Three race swing? bargaining leverage? They have tried to keep the schedule compressed the last few years, with Surfers, there's virtually no way to accomplish that if they are going to double it with Motegi. I still don't see what the hell the FIA is worried about having the F1 race and the ICS races within 3 weeks of each other. There aren't enough people in Japan for two races? Motegi gets pathetic crowds most of the time and they are all there on Honda's dime anyway. Now that Honda lost the F1 GP to Fuji, They should race at Suzuka anyway.Why they guaranteed Homestead the finale is beyond me. Same problem as Chicago. Why they even went back to Homestead is beyond me. I suppose ISC allowed the ICS to swap the season enders if it stayed at one of their tracks and didn't go to LVMS and SMI.
    That would be fine to come back and finish the season in Miami after Surfers, but early November is getting pretty late to be racing, even in South Florida.

I see Surfers crowd as more or less the equivalent of the crowds at Sebring. Sure, there's a lot of real race fans there, but it's the party. Hold sebring in Aril or May and I suspect the crowds would be miniscule. Everyone is there because it's held during the spring break season. Certainly not all college drunks, but breakers, snowbirds, people just tired of the winter up north.
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    I think the ICS has already tipped their hand that they think the Gold Coast is strategic to their (ICS) interests. Why else would they plan to go there in October, announce that 24 cars are already lined up for the trip and say they were trying to arrange a date for next year? If it was not important to ICS, they would never have agreed to go there this year.

But I also think the October date for next year is a non-starter because of other contractual agreements that ICS has and that whatever date is chosen it MUST allow for a concurrent travel arrangement with Montegi. The Gold Coast folks need to wake up to THAT realization, if THEY truly want to be part of the ICS schedule.

Gary
    The Gold Coast folks don't need to wake up to anything Gary. They've been very accomodating to US based open wheel over the years. They found a sweet spot in October where they can get a much better financial return for the promoter. Nikon is now on board, Kirin and a multitude of other Mitsubishi brands are probably taking a closer look if Nikon works out.

I don't think the IRL/ICS can afford to lose Surfers. The Aussies will not let a "schtick" bully them over. I see a rival OW replacing ICS there.
    LBGP: The Sound - The Spectacle. Racin' at its finest.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You heard it here first....
    ....I dont think we're going to race in Australia.

Pointless in my opinion...all the fans for the most part are not gonna care to watch it because the points race is over, and the race is just like any normal go-kart race of sort.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelred5
    Come on, I'd bet money they guaranteed a certain former Champcar owner they would sign a long term contract with Surfers to ensure his Aussie sponsorship deal didn't fall through and the merger with Champcar went through as planned. Look at the IRL's schedule history. They have never had any intention of racing in October past this year. They are making offers for dates they know damn well Cochrane and the Surfer's Paradise organizers will reject so they can get out of the contract and pin the blame on them.
    How about we change the 500 to Labor Day. What next, Long Beach in September?
    I think you've nailed it right on the money. GP2 (or is it A1GP, can't keep track of them all!) will run in the IRL's place.

Never forget: It's all about Indy (the one in May).