Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by indycool
    And CART did nothing to undermine the IRL and the "500?" It usually takes at least two people to have a fight.

And as far as the DP-01 goes, the spending of cubic dollars on that may well have been the final nail in CC's continuance.
    once the "war" was on what was CART to do? Even though CART's own stupidity and short-sightedness was a large contributory factor to the beginning of this "war" - there is little doubt that TG was the initial aggressor and the formation of the IRL was his opening attack....

I think you are right about the DP-01 - in hindsight, CCWS was in no position to do that car, it was a fools errand. Given that history lesson, as much as I would like to see a new Indycar ASAP - the IRL needs to get their house in order before they drop the $$ on a new car....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    And CART did nothing to undermine the IRL and the "500?" It usually takes at least two people to have a fight.
    Yes, CART fought back. But what would you do when the traditions of Indy were thrown out in all out declaration of war on your series?

In hindsight, CART should have taken the battle to the place that started it, Indy. They would have done much more damage to the break away series by drinking their milk and placing their Indy 500 on the CART schedule.
    "For 80 years this place has run on tradition. From today forward it will run as a business." - Tony George (Failed businessman)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No one is suggesting they didn't. The point downtowndeco made was that the IRL was not created to wrangle control of AOWR. That is just pure BS.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Whatever.......the idea that one played fair and one didn't is an idea I won't buy.

But I agree that CART could've stopped the IRL right in its tracks by running Disney World and Phoenix in 1996, going to Indy as part of the 25, taking most of the prize money and running the IRL's smaller teams out of the sport.

Gary, pits4, by omission, suggested it above.

In any case, none of it applies now.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Monaco
    Yes, CART fought back. But what would you do when the traditions of Indy were thrown out in all out declaration of war on your series?

In hindsight, CART should have taken the battle to the place that started it, Indy. They would have done much more damage to the break away series by drinking their milk and placing their Indy 500 on the CART schedule.

Fought back? That implies that they waited until the IRL was formed. I think the war started before that, back when "King" George demanded a seat on the CART board. I think CART started pushing back then, if not before.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Whatever.......the idea that one played fair and one didn't is an idea I won't buy.

But I agree that CART could've stopped the IRL right in its tracks by running Disney World and Phoenix in 1996, going to Indy as part of the 25, taking most of the prize money and running the IRL's smaller teams out of the sport.

In any case, none of it applies now.

Nor will I buy into that idea that either side played "fair". And yep, tis all water over the proverbial dam.

Gary